32k service & radiator painting

Dunnster

Dunnster

32k service done today, oil + filter, coolant flush and all valve clearances in spec, which I guessed they would be. Ive checked them at 16k, 24k and now 32k. Only had to adjust them at 16k so I'm fairly confident they won't need checking until 64k. 

The radiator was looking a bit tired so decided to sand it, prime it, and repaint it. On removing and draining the coolant noticed a lot of black specs, which looked like the paint from the inside of the rad, at the inlet. The water pump inlet was also covered in what looks like lime scale, where the hose connects, cleaned all that off too.

All back together and a quick shakedown in the sunshine, jobs a good un' :niceone::sunny:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8
jeremyr62

That's a big "speck".

• Like 1
Dunnster
42 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

That's a big "speck".

Isnt it! The ones floating around in the old coolent were much smaller.

Dunnster
5 minutes ago, ted said:

Blimey, good job you got that out!

I wasn't going to bother removing the radiator, but it makes the valve check easier with it out of the way. If the rad didn't need a bit of tlc I wouldn't have changed the coolant and seen the filth! 

• Like 1

Now you got me worried about my 46k mile nc700s; radiator is tatty as heck 

Dunnster
17 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Now you got me worried about my 46k mile nc700s; radiator is tatty as heck 

Must admit I was a bit shocked at the paint flakes that were in the coolant. Don't think it was much, just looked worse, especially the big piece clinging on at the top inlet. Presume it's over spray from manufacture, it's come loose sometime since 2018 when I last had the rad off. 

makman

That is a great job and gives me confidence!  Looks like I what I'll be doing my 2013 one when the 32k service is due in around 2.5k.... I'll have a garage by then so it will be easier to strip and sort the bike out in relative comfort.

• Like 1
Dunnster
7 hours ago, makman said:

That is a great job and gives me confidence!  Looks like I what I'll be doing my 2013 one when the 32k service is due in around 2.5k.... I'll have a garage by then so it will be easier to strip and sort the bike out in relative comfort.

Its straight forward and even easier in a garage, hardest part is removing the radiator. Set a couple of hours aside and take your time.

• Like 1
makman

Cheers. I paid someone last year to do the 24k service, but they no longer do mechanicing and have moved down to Herne Bay now.    I'm happy doing stuff like this, I have the tools, the patience and soon the space!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I skipped the 16k valve check as it added a ridiculous amount to the bill so I opted for a full fluids replacement etc instead.  I'm used to stripping bikes but I like to have a manual to work from.  Any recommendations?

Ok,  i’m gonna do this. What paint did you use for the radiator?

• Like 1
On 03/06/2020 at 14:31, Dunnster said:

Its straight forward and even easier in a garage, hardest part is removing the radiator. Set a couple of hours aside and take your time.

Sorry - should have quoted OP; what paint did you use on the rad? Did you have to use high temp paint and primer, or just standard stuff?

• Like 1
Dunnster
2 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Sorry - should have quoted OP; what paint did you use on the rad? Did you have to use high temp paint and primer, or just standard stuff?

Hi Will, I used a rattle can of Simoniz gloss black tough paint that I had in the garage, directions said no primer required, however I sanded it down and used a spray can of halfords etch primer to undercoat. 

• Thanks 1
Dunnster
On 25 June 2020 at 13:53, SamDog said:

I skipped the 16k valve check as it added a ridiculous amount to the bill so I opted for a full fluids replacement etc instead.  I'm used to stripping bikes but I like to have a manual to work from.  Any recommendations?

Become a member which will give you access to downloadable content :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there I have a nc750 x2017 model I have been quoted £450.00 for this major service is this amount about Correct, all the best Doug.

Grumpy old man
8 hours ago, Doug said:

Hi there I have a nc750 x2017 model I have been quoted £450.00 for this major service is this amount about Correct, all the best Doug.

Hi

Sounds about the going price from a Honda dealer as it includes the valve check and, I think, brake fluid change. It's a lot of money but the dealers charge lots of money.

See if you can find an independent mechanic to do it. The valves aren't too difficult if you have a little spanner experience.

Good luck

Ps-don't know where in the country you are based but there are some independents on this forum and I'd tend to trust them more than a dealer ( my own experience on dealers)

Edited by Grumpy old man
  • Like 1

Hi many thanks for your reply’s I’m in Essex so will see if I can find a mechanic,thanks Doug.

Defender

I think that there are two points to take into account with this job is that the paint needs to be temperature tolerant and also the rad end tanks are aluminium, which is why the paint flakes off so easily and in large chunks.

• 1 month later...

I did this job a couple of weeks ago, inspired by Dunnster. I took the rad off and scraped and sanded off all the paint I could. I was against the clock and if I’d had more time I would have used paint stripper to remove 100% of the old/original paint. Instead I removed as much as possible and then cleaned it all with rubbing alcohol. Then 2 coats of primer, a few drippy coats of Simoniz satin black and a couple of coats of Hycote lacquer have done a decent job. I took the rad cap back to bare metal and just simply lacquered that which I think looks nice. 

A few more tidy up jobs still to go ... (swingarm, centre stand, etc ..).

• Like 1