larryblag

F800GT

larryblag
9 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Isn't that the one that turned into the F900XR?  I doubt they will make a GT too unless it is just the XR with luggage!

I hope not 😔. Not the same animal at all. Like apples and oranges aren't the same animal 😛. The sit up & beg wannabe "adventure" thing isn't my bag. Had that with the Tracer. Still, if I keep this FGT a few years (I can feel eyes rolling at the back) the sport tourer might be a thing again. 

Left the bike at home today. Roo deserved a treat as we've been so bike-heavy of late. Back up Thorpe Cloud cloud. My fitness app loved it. There's life in the old dog yet. Roo enjoyed it too 😊

Thorpe Cloud #2

• Like 6

larryblag
Thorpe Cloud #2

• Like 4

larryblag
Posted (edited)

Bar risers came (slow boat from China). Did a trial fitting and as suspected requires a fair bit of re-routing of cables to gain enough slack. Mute point though, as I'm perfectly comfortable as it is. That'll be Andy's "three tanks of petrol" rule. Thanks again oh wise one.

Must say though, they're a lovely well-made bit of kit 👍

Now surplus to requirements. 

Handlebar Riser Kit

Luggage next. Oh my goodness the panniers fetch silly money used - any many of those advertised are scuffed to bu**ery. £540 new 😳. I could get some Givi or Shad ones but it involves fitting more scaffolding. Shame, as the OEM panniers fit straight onto the existing (minimal/neat) fittings. 

Ironically, the OEM ones are stamped with a "Shad" logo. I suppose there's a copyright on the fitting method stopping Shad from designing their own 😒

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 1

MikeBike
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, larryblag said:

Luggage next. Oh my goodness the panniers fetch silly money used - any many of those advertised are scuffed to bu**ery. £540 new 😳. I could get some Givi or Shad ones but it involves fitting more scaffolding. Shame, as the OEM panniers fit straight onto the existing (minimal/neat) fittings. 

Ironically, the OEM ones are stamped with a "Shad" logo. I suppose there's a copyright on the fitting method stopping Shad from designing their own 😒

At least the rear scaffolding (for my Shad panniers) acts as a sort or back end crash bar that would likely protect the £££ bodywork.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

MatBin
4 minutes ago, MikeBike said:

At least the rear scaffolding (for my Shad panniers) acts as a sort or back end crash bar that would likely protect the £££ bodywork.

The Shad 3P system although quite wide is very minimal, doubt it would save much on my NC. I prefer the look when the panniers are off to those great big scaffolding jobs some fit, personal choice of course.

• Thanks 1

larryblag
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, MatBin said:

The Shad 3P system although quite wide is very minimal, doubt it would save much on my NC. I prefer the look when the panniers are off to those great big scaffolding jobs some fit, personal choice of course.

Shad 3P eh? Thanks Matt, I'll  have a look at one. Bet that system can be purchased for the price of one Beemerpan 👍

Now, where's that Google? 

Oi Siri! Ask Cortana to ask Alexa...

Edited by larryblag

MikeBike
Posted (edited)

Yes the 3P (although modified to bring closer to the bike as very wide on the NC) is what I've got on mine - minimal one main bar and I think it looks good without the panniers.

Edited by MikeBike
  • Like 1

fred_jb
4 hours ago, larryblag said:

Shad make a lot of the supposedly OEM luggage for several makes including BMW.

I'm not sure if there is a fitment for the GT, but Shad do their own L shaped 3P system frames for their own panniers such as the SH35s I have, and as Mike says, these are very neat when not in use.  They do vary in how closely they hold the panniers to the bike.  Not bad on my RS, but were too wide on my NC and I modified the bike attachments to get them a lot closer.

Frames without panniers:

_6K52553-XL.jpg

With panniers:

_6K52545-XL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MikeBike

They also make good lashing points for tie down straps for the rear seat area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ciaran1602

Sadly, looking at Shad's Site looks like they only do top box mounts for the F800GT. I had a quick look at the usuals - looks like Givi, Hepco and Becker & SW Motech all offer racks but they're all much more substantial frame type affairs. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

MikeBike
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Sadly, looking at Shad's Site looks like they only do top box mounts for the F800GT. I had a quick look at the usuals - looks like Givi, Hepco and Becker & SW Motech all offer racks but they're all much more substantial frame type affairs. 

THe do one for the F9800R though, and the back end looks very similar to Philip's GT. I bet sometimes they are soimply because they haven't had a bike to test them on. The ones I have on my NC aren't NC ones - I bought them off Fred and they got brackets welded on and mounted with the help of a kind forum member.

You have 14 days return rights...  :-)

a_shad8865.jpg

Edited by MikeBike
  • Thanks 1

Ciaran1602
Just now, MikeBike said:

THe do one for the F9800R though, and the back end looks very similar to Philip's GT. I bet sometimes they are soimply because they haven't had a bike to test them on. The ones I have on my NC aren't NC ones - I bought them off Fred and they got brackets welded on and mounted with the help of a kind forum member.

a_shad8865.jpg

If there's a similar one produced plus  you've the technical ability and/or are willing to buy with the risk it can't be made to fit then sure thing. Personally the "frame" pannier look doesn't bother me but never take my panniers off.

Maybe an owners forum for the F800 might have the answers?

• Thanks 1

MikeBike
1 minute ago, Ciaran1602 said:

If there's a similar one produced plus  you've the technical ability and/or are willing to buy with the risk it can't be made to fit then sure thing. Personally the "frame" pannier look doesn't bother me but never take my panniers off.

Maybe an owners forum for the F800 might have the answers?

THe risk is only really the hassle of returning and losing original postage costs..

Here's the thread on my mods for the NC showing how brackets etc were added to the main part of the frame. They were welded to the Shad top box mounting at the top and a new bracket at the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

larryblag

Hey you guys thanks so much for that. Thanks for taking the time to check. I do like the "L" shaped brackets, they're quite neat. I wonder why they don't specify brackets for the GT (or ST for that matter). The ones shown on the R look identical. May require a bit of surgery (I'm quite handy). Might be worth a punt? 

Ciaran1602

I’m always wary of buying things I’m not sure I can fit - yes in theory it’s easy enough to send back but you’d only know if it fits or not by opening the package and attempting to fit it. You’d probably be fine provided you keep the original packaging to return it all in should the SHAD racks not fit. 

I hope I violate no rules by posting this it there appears to be a discussion on the f800riders forum on this very topic - https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/310245-Shad-3Psystem-on-a-f800gt#/topics/310245

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MatBin

I bought them off a well known auction site as I use soft panniers and wanted something to keep them away from bodywork and tyre which they do, I then realised the sh23 looked quite small and secure so might go for them later. In their writeup they suggest their pannier system flexes so as not to cause the rear of the bike to be affected by the panniers being pushed about in the airflow as would be the case with very rigid mounts etc, my Triumph also had flexible fixings for panniers and topbox.

• Thanks 1

larryblag
11 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

I’m always wary of buying things I’m not sure I can fit - yes in theory it’s easy enough to send back but you’d only know if it fits or not by opening the package and attempting to fit it. You’d probably be fine provided you keep the original packaging to return it all in should the SHAD racks not fit. 

I hope I violate no rules by posting this it there appears to be a discussion on the f800riders forum on this very topic - https://f800riders.org/forum/showthread.php/310245-Shad-3Psystem-on-a-f800gt#/topics/310245

Reading that post has been really useful Ciaran thanks 👍

Looking at a pic of the kit (W0FR881F) for the later F800R (2018) which has the same rear bodywork mouldings as mine the mounting points use the ones currently occupied by the OEM pannier hoop. In theory at least they should fit. I've contacted Shad and will await their comments. 

The post also mentions that the R model is the most popular version in Spain which might explain why they haven't explored this option for the GT. 

Once again guys thanks so much for your help 😁

• Like 2

listener
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, larryblag said:

Must say though, they're a lovely well-made bit of kit 👍

Now surplus to requirements. 

Mount them on a couple of bits of nice wood and ... voila! ... a bespoke pair of book-ends. :thumbsup:

Edited by listener
  • Thanks 1

larryblag
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, listener said:

Mount them on a couple of bits of nice wood and ... voila! ... a bespoke pair of book-ends. :thumbsup:

Once again this forum does what it does best. And in response to my most recent dilemma - you've come through yet again 🙄

😁

Edited by larryblag

listener
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

Once again this forum does what it does best. And in response to my most recent dilemma - you've come through yet again 🙄

I was going to suggest you turn them into a neat pair of ear-rings for Kells but ...

She'd have to watch she didn't get her ears caught in the back wheel ... :devil::lol:

borneoEars.gif

• Haha 2

larryblag

Careful there, you might be meeting her one day 😂

larryblag
Ashbourne 1

Ashbourne 2

Ashbourne 2

• Like 5

yellownev

Ashbourne, Just down the road from me. I’ve just “nipped” to Glossop for a bacon sarnie and Tea....

• Like 1

larryblag

Love the Glossop area. It's funny where we "nip" too isn't it? We wouldn't do that in the car? 😁

larryblag

"Won" some OEM hard panniers on that auction site for a reasonable price. 

Thanks MatBin for pointing them out 👍. 

Picos or Trossachs here we come! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1