larryblag

F800GT

cartejo5

Bonny looking bike, enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

Andy m

Bavarians have three thumbs judging by the old indicator system, so the idea of some sort of Captain Fantastic reach is nothing unexpected. 

If that is the limit of issues though it's pretty good match for you.

Enjoy

Andy

• Thanks 1

Spindizzy

Does it fit the bike bubble though?

• Like 1

larryblag

Bike Bubble was ripped apart during high winds. Reorganisation of shed, bike now fits in quite easily. There's electric in there too 👍

Have I mentioned yet what a fantastic medium-sized bike it is? 😉😁

larryblag
30 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Bavarians have three thumbs judging by the old indicator system, so the idea of some sort of Captain Fantastic reach is nothing unexpected. 

If that is the limit of issues though it's pretty good match for you.

Enjoy

Andy

Thanks Andy. 

Bar risers on order (everyone seems to fit these). I'd like some luggage but the BMW stuff is expensive. That might have to wait till next year.

cartejo5

Not yet but there’s time! I’ve always liked the look of these bikes but always thought they were physically too small for me, what sort of height are you Larry?

• Like 1

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

As opposed to the position of the heated grips button - where the only way to press it when on the move is by crossing your left hand over from the opposite bar. Unless you've got a 6 inch long double-jointed right thumb. 

Just had to go out to the garage and look at the GS, on the right there is the start/kill switch then the mode button and finally the heated grips button. I can reach it easily and don't have long fingers. Obviously it's easier at low throttle settings and too far away if you are giving it the beans. 

At higher speed I'd either wait for a suitable low throttle moment or ease off for a moment but the easiest is to set the cruise control then do it. 

Like all new stuff it takes a little while to get used to it.

• Thanks 1

Ciaran1602
57 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Thanks Andy. 

Bar risers on order (everyone seems to fit these). I'd like some luggage but the BMW stuff is expensive. That might have to wait till next year.

Quick glance at the usual aftermarkets - SHAD only do a top box for it, Givi do full set as do Hepco and Becker.

• Thanks 1

larryblag
2 hours ago, cartejo5 said:

Not yet but there’s time! I’ve always liked the look of these bikes but always thought they were physically too small for me, what sort of height are you Larry?

5'6" with 29" inseam

1 hour ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Quick glance at the usual aftermarkets - SHAD only do a top box for it, Givi do full set as do Hepco and Becker.

Thanks Ciaran. 

I do like the look of the Hepco & Becker. Requires a different rear rack but I prefer that to an adapter plate. The Givi panniers I've had before but require additional metalwork. The BMW ones fit straight onto the existing (almost invisible) mounts. Horses for courses. 

fred_jb
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

As opposed to the position of the heated grips button - where the only way to press it when on the move is by crossing your left hand over from the opposite bar. Unless you've got a 6 inch long double-jointed right thumb. 

Yes, that is a pain. Virtually impossible to operate with your right hand without unintentionally jiggling the throttle.  On the 1200/1250 boxers there is so much torque and so much engine braking that any such throttle jiggling can have a very unsettling effect.  As for just releasing the throttle for a moment, you better not have anyone too close behind when you do that, or be going too slowly as you can almost come to a stop while cycling through the heated grips settings to the one you want!

• Like 2

Mr Toad
9 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Yes, that is a pain. Virtually impossible to operate with your right hand without unintentionally jiggling the throttle.  On the 1200/1250 boxers there is so much torque and so much engine braking that any such throttle jiggling can have a very unsettling effect.  As for just releasing the throttle for a moment, you better not have anyone too close behind when you do that, or be going too slowly as you can almost come to a stop while cycling through the heated grips settings to the one you want!

I hardly ever used my heated grips on various bikes over the years as glove technology improved over the years I found that I didn't need them.

Then one day I had a rare moment of clarity, the heated grips meant that I didn't have to wear my super warm Gore-Tex winter gloves, I could ride in my thinner more flexible summer gloves with the heat on. I carry my winter gloves with me in case of heavy rain but I now use the heated grips nearly all the time in the colder months.

• Like 3

fred_jb
1 minute ago, Mr Toad said:

I hardly ever used my heated grips on various bikes over the years as glove technology improved over the years I found that I didn't need them.

Then one day I had a rare moment of clarity, the heated grips meant that I didn't have to wear my super warm Gore-Tex winter gloves, I could ride in my thinner more flexible summer gloves with the heat on. I carry my winter gloves with me in case of heavy rain but I now use the heated grips nearly all the time in the colder months.

Same here, I use summer gloves all year too.  The combination of very hot heated grips ( I only use setting 1 as 2 is roasting), plus hand guards, makes winter gloves unnecessary. When I moved from GS to RS I really missed the hand guards and felt naked without them, so had to fit some.

• Like 3

Mr Toad
2 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

Same here, I use summer gloves all year too.  The combination of very hot heated grips ( I only use setting 1 as 2 is roasting), plus hand guards, makes winter gloves unnecessary. When I moved from GS to RS I really missed the hand guards and felt naked without them, so had to fit some.

My NC750X was the first bike bike I've ever had with hand guards, they were fitted by the original owner. I discount bikes like my old RS that had fairing protection for the hands and I have to say they were a revalation and I wouldn't want to be without them now.

• Like 2

SteveThackery
6 hours ago, fred_jb said:

Same here, I use summer gloves all year too.  The combination of very hot heated grips ( I only use setting 1 as 2 is roasting), plus hand guards, makes winter gloves unnecessary. 

I wish that worked for me.  Heated grips heat my palms perfectly, but it's my fingertips that get cold and heated grips don't fix that at all.  How can they, unless you clamp your fingers tightly round the grips all the time?

Trev
On 6/5/2020 at 13:31, larryblag said:

Collected this morning. Somehow, we managed to avoid the numerous downpours. Initial impressions - big thumbs up from both rider and pillion 👍👍

DSCF5721

Not that it matters what I think but I actually really like that, in this 3/4 front shot it looks 'proper' and from the spec I pick up from the various postings it seems to have everything you could possibly need in a bike but without being too stupidly heavy or cumbersome. I had the F800R as a hire bike about 4 years ago and did the NC500++, just over a 1,000 miles in six days and it was really good fun, a little small for me and of course wind blast on the naughtier bits, but a good all rounder and so much better for me than the GS1200 the chap wanted to fob me off with, particularly liked the BM soft panniers and tank bag.

• Like 1

fred_jb
1 minute ago, SteveThackery said:

I wish that worked for me.  Heated grips heat my palms perfectly, but it's my fingertips that get cold and heated grips don't fix that at all.  How can they, unless you clamp your fingers tightly round the grips all the time?

I do wrap my fingers around, but don't need to grip tightly as the grips get very hot.  The back of my hands get a bit cool, but the guards keep the cold airflow off, so not too bad.

• Like 2

Andy m
1 minute ago, SteveThackery said:

Heated gloves are way better than grips heat wise.

Also, have a chat with your GP. Either exercise and diet or aspirin to sort the circulation is the key to warmth. A bowl of Ready Brek should be enough if the heat from the core is getting to the extremities. 

Andy

• Like 1

baben
58 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Also, have a chat with your GP. Either exercise and diet or aspirin to sort the circulation is the key to warmth. A bowl of Ready Brek should be enough if the heat from the core is getting to the extremities. 

Andy

I think Ciaron has a medical issue with his circulation. Please forgive me if I am wrong Ciaron.

Exceledsteve
8 hours ago, larryblag said:

5'6" with 29" inseam

Thanks Ciaran. 

I do like the look of the Hepco & Becker. Requires a different rear rack but I prefer that to an adapter plate. The Givi panniers I've had before but require additional metalwork. The BMW ones fit straight onto the existing (almost invisible) mounts. Horses for courses. 

The BMW top box locks straight onto the existing rack, looks good and feels decent quality, but it's heavy and is an odd shape inside. I made do with it but if I hadn't had it on the F800ST already I'd have fitted a Givi. It wouldn't have looked as good but is a far better shape for putting stuff in. I also had the expanding panniers on mine, which were very neat and close fitting but spent most of their time on a shelf in the roof space of my garage... not required for commuting but very useful for touring. 

• Thanks 1

Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, baben said:

I think Ciaron has a medical issue with his circulation. Please forgive me if I am wrong Ciaron.

Spot on Glendon, though unsure if SteveThackery suffers from similar issues.

Raynauds Syndrome is surprisingly common, though generally its more common in middle aged women than any other demographic. A lot of people have it but don't get diagnosed as they just put up with it. I showed telltale signs severely and very early -  I was 14. Got me out of doing rugby which all schools insist is done in the depths of winter so can't complain too much :angel: For the majority it manifests itself in numbness in the fingers, hands or toes which is caused by cold or stress. It can cause issues with extreme heat as well though more just discomfort and inability to temperature regulate. At one point it stopped me from riding unless it was beaming sunshine - it was the sole reason I learned to drive. Calcium channel blockers help with it but if I forget to take them (Which is frequent, I might add. Spose I should be thankful I don't need to take 'the pill'! :lol:) I can find myself unable to walk. Think pins and needles from pretty much the hip down.

the point of that ramble was: If you suffer from cold extremities, pins and needles, especially matched with discolouration its worth going to the GP and mentioning it (even more so if it happens in random fits and starts not necessarily associated with the cold) - Its important as Raynauds and other similar conditions are often paired with an underlying condition which can be far more sinister such as Scleroderma.

So @SteveThackery I'd say I've got as good a handle as any on coping with winter rubbishness. Andy's right. Heated gloves, in my case Keis heated inners, are in a league of their own for banishing the tingle. I believe they do similar heated socks as well though sturdy boots and enormous socks are usually enough for me. £60 a few years back gave me back my greatest hobby and passion. Worth every damn penny.

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

SteveThackery
2 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

So @SteveThackery I'd say I've got as good a handle as any on coping with winter rubbishness. Andy's right. Heated gloves, in my case Keis heated inners, are in a league of their own for banishing the tingle. I believe they do similar heated socks as well though sturdy boots and enormous socks are usually enough for me. £60 a few years back gave me back my greatest hobby and passion. Worth every damn penny.

Cheers, Ciaran.  Actually I have no circulatory problems so far.  It's just that, when the weather is severe enough to make my hands cold, it's always the fingertips that get cold first.  I haven't found heated grips help with that.  A lot of this must be just variations in how each of us are built.  I'm not sure how much winter riding I'll be doing in the future - a lot depends on if I can get a job again - but if I do, I'll certainly invest in some of the Keis heated inners you recommend.

• Like 1

fred_jb
4 hours ago, Andy m said:

Andy

I think I must be lucky in that I never seem to get cold on the bike, and I do ride in the winter a bit, so have never felt the need for heated clothing. I just wear multiple layers, including long johns under the trousers, and occasionally add the waterproof over trousers and jacket for extra wind proofing.

• Like 2

Tex
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, fred_jb said:

I think I must be lucky in that I never seem to get cold on the bike, and I do ride in the winter a bit, so have never felt the need for heated clothing.

Colour me jealous. ;) 

I just wear multiple layers, including long johns under the trousers, and occasionally add the waterproof over trousers and jacket for extra wind proofing.

That was my approach (never fabulously successful) until I discovered electricity. Now, a heated waistcoat keeps my core warm which means the blood is free to travel to the extremities rather than being diverted to the vital organs. I have remained comfortable on long rides that would otherwise have been miserable.

I do seem to feel the cold more that others though :( 

Of course, the first essential in keeping warm on a motorcycle is a good fairing! And the one on Gary’s new 800 looks like it’s pretty effective. Maybe it’s time for the sports tourer to return?

Edited by Tex
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exceledsteve
54 minutes ago, Tex said:

Of course, the first essential in keeping warm on a motorcycle is a good fairing! And the one on Gary’s new 800 looks like it’s pretty effective. Maybe it’s time for the sports tourer to return?

It's a 'yes' from me. Maybe more of an emphasis on the tourer bit of the duet and less of the sports. Oh, and let's see more belt and shaft driven bikes of this ilk in the mid-sized segment of motorcycling... 600cc - 900cc would be nice. Larryblag's F800 is a great example, but even less 'sporty' than that. I'm thinking modern Deauville to be precise.

• Like 5

Ciaran1602
19 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

It's a 'yes' from me. Maybe more of an emphasis on the tourer bit of the duet and less of the sports. Oh, and let's see more belt and shaft driven bikes of this ilk in the mid-sized segment of motorcycling... 600cc - 900cc would be nice. Larryblag's F800 is a great example, but even less 'sporty' than that. I'm thinking modern Deauville to be precise.

For christ sake yes! I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'd even buy one with a chain if I really had to. Sod it just make the NC with a fairing that's useful and you're there!

• Like 4