Benelli tnt 125 cutting out.

crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Can anybody suggest anything for this guy to try, he is having problems with his benelli tnt 125.Thanks

https://youtu.be/_IGvBRQQwU8

Jeffprince

Think it’s the weight of the verbal diarrhoea that he’s carrying around. Look at that view! Why say one word when you can say 20. Look at that view. Only shows the bike running for 5 secs. Look at that view.

I’m well impressed with my TNT. Never failed.

I’d bung a couple of decent new plugs in first. The cheapos they come with are, well, cheapo. 

Edited by Jeffprince
crazyhorse

Yeah from his videos he has abused the bike and dropped it a few times.

• 11 months later...
crazyhorse

He fixed this, it was the valve clearances.

• 2 months later...
On 08/06/2020 at 22:29, crazyhorse said:

Can anybody suggest anything for this guy to try, he is having problems with his benelli tnt 125.Thanks

https://youtu.be/_IGvBRQQwU8

I bought a 70 plate BN125 @12 months ago, after 14 weeks and 350 miles it started dying on me, no warning just complete and random absolute loss of power, around town or doing 60mph on an A road, the dash just goes blank, dealer couldn't find the problem, it has been back and forth to the dealers for approx 6 months since Jan this year, they eventually offered me a refund of 85% of the purchase price, obviously I refused it won't even pay the loan off or cover insurance that I have paid, I might be ( fingers crossed) getting a replacement FOC, hope so, its been 9 months of sleepless nights, if not then small claims court is on its way, ive already sent them 4 recorded delivery letters and my legal adviser says I will win hands down, but it's just the hassle I have to go through.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4
Andy m

FFS what sort of dealer can't fix that? The dash goes blank, there is either no power going in or none coming out. Test the earth, test the power side. After that the most incompetent grease monkeys starts part swapping, but there aren't that many parts even for that approach. I could understand them struggling with the ashtray warning light on some Bavarian Behemoth because there is hierarchy in the software that may be fighting itself and not really telling you why, but this is basically analogue and can be tested with a meter and headlight globe. 

I'm suspecting a clash between dealer and importer on labour charges. If the dealer agreement fixes labour rates and it takes you 35 hours to find a dodgy multi-plug, you often only get paid the half hour it takes to extract the pins and change it. This is why dealers will do crazy but simple stuff like change an ECU before buzzing out the loom. 

I feel your pain @Mill66

These stories of the Chinese not being willing to go the extra mile to brand build are what put you off. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2
larryblag

Kelly's daughter's boyfriend Brad is having a bit of trouble with his Keyway K Light. Very difficult finding neutral with it. I checked the clutch free play and made sure it wasn't dragging. I even tried reducing the free play slightly but no difference so I reset it. I did put it down to needing to bed in and said that it might improve with fresh oil at the first service. He asked to dealer to look at it but they said NFF. He's since found a few spare neutrals but none in the usual place. I told him to go back again and offered to accompany him but he's not got back to me. 

On 26/08/2021 at 16:47, Andy m said:

FFS what sort of dealer can't fix that? The dash goes blank, there is either no power going in or none coming out. Test the earth, test the power side. After that the most incompetent grease monkeys starts part swapping, but there aren't that many parts even for that approach. I could understand them struggling with the ashtray warning light on some Bavarian Behemoth because there is hierarchy in the software that may be fighting itself and not really telling you why, but this is basically analogue and can be tested with a meter and headlight globe. 

I'm suspecting a clash between dealer and importer on labour charges. If the dealer agreement fixes labour rates and it takes you 35 hours to find a dodgy multi-plug, you often only get paid the half hour it takes to extract the pins and change it. This is why dealers will do crazy but simple stuff like change an ECU before buzzing out the loom. 

I feel your pain @Mill66

These stories of the Chinese not being willing to go the extra mile to brand build are what put you off. 

Andy

Hi Andy

Good news, Benelli said they couldn`t find a fault, but have offered me a brand new 21 plate replacement anyway as a good will gesture which I have accepted and even received the log book, summer is over now though so it wont be getting much action this year, and I have wasted £350 on insurance for a bike that we couldn`t ride, but anyway my wife has stopped giving me earache now, and we can go out for a ride together now.

I just wish that the seller had been a bit more customer friendly, they have literally done nothing to assist me, I should have gone to Raceways or Honda

Lesson learned

Thanks

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Andy m

That's great news. The insurance is annoying, but IMHO not worth the stress to take further.

Watch the dealer, I wouldn’t be surprised if they drop Benelli. The importers of Chinese bikes are small so tend to employ small workshops as dealers. The balance of power is different to what happens between say Honda UK and chains of dealerships. The turnover is higher. Could well be you got caught in the middle. 

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
larryblag

My local dealer dropped Piaggio due to lack of support. They (the dealer) are a family firm with an excellent reputation. Warranty claims on Vespas were being denied for issues that should normally have been covered. The dealer ended up footing the bill on a number of occasions rather than risk poor customer satisfaction. So, it's not just the Chinese. 

Glad your sorted, let's hope for an extended Indian Summer so you can get past that infamous milestone on your new TNT 👍

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

My son has had the same problem. It started cutting out at 6 months old with only 2000 miles on it. Bennets of Barnsley tried a few things to fix the problem. when the warranty was almost up they decided to do a compression test and found out it was very low and this was the original problem. On removing the cylinder head it was found that one of the valves had melted (the other three were perfect) obviously a supplier production problem. because it was now out of warranty (But still diagnosing the original problem) The importers Moto GB would not agree to the repairs. Now my son has a bike on finance in pieces. I would advise people not to buy one of these bikes.

• Sad 4