Dashboard died this morning and now bike wont start

chuckmyster

chuckmyster

Hi Everyone

New to the forum here from Cape Town, South Africa.

My Honda NC750X DCT is exactly 5 years old and I have put on 150 000km on the clock

Weird thing happened on the way to work this morning

About half way to work everything on the dashboard stopped working, i was doing about 110km/h. There was nothing as in it looked like the bike was switched off.

My headlight was still working and i assume my fuel pump as i was still able to do another 20km before i pulled over to the side of the road in a safe place.

I was in 6th gear at the time and i couldn't change down a gear, indicators weren't working nor my hooter and nor my hazards while i was riding.

Im at the office now and have stripped the bike of most of the panels and checked each and every fuse as well as all connector plugs.

When i turn on the ignition the headlight comes on and the bike is trying to find Neutral for about 6 seconds and then it stops and gives up.

The dashboard is still dead and the indicators don't work nor the hazard lights. Battery reads 12.64 volts.

Any advice please? Thank you

Exceledsteve

Was the bike running a little rough from the point this happened?

I experienced similar symptoms to the ones you describe on my VFR800 years ago, but it ran roughly too. Able to get home but wouldn't have gone out on it again. 

I changed the regulator/rectifier for a new one and it was as good as new. Might benefit from a new battery at the that mileage too.

Edited by Exceledsteve
  • Like 1
chuckmyster

No the bike was running fine, I never noticed anything different at all until I looked down at the dash and saw nothing. And i Look at my dash very often as I monitor my fuel consumption. Now when I turn the ignition key on I see nothing.

It appears the ignition key is a simple on/off switch as i see there are only 2 wires going to it that read 12 volts. Unlike the old school ignition switches that had multiple wires.

MatBin

I'd certainly get the battery checked over, the DCT has so many interconnecting electrical bits that a duff battery will like as not cause lots of issues.

• Like 1
chuckmyster

Its still the original battery from 5 years ago, and i ride every single day, will check that out and loan a battery as a test

• Like 1
fred_jb

I had something very similar happen to my NC.  Instrument panel and indicators not working, and running very rough with much popping and banging from the exhaust.  Turned out to be one of the fuses which had blown.  Interestingly none of the miles covered to get home while it was in that state were recorded.

• Like 1