Sign in to follow this  
Golflad

One for the Honda lover.

Andy m

Couldn't a total pedant argue that swept volume excludes dead/fixed space above the piston ring such as domed combustion chambers while displacement does not? 😁

Only important if you are the FIA or Italian tax man. 

Andy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SteveThackery
6 hours ago, Andy m said:

Couldn't a total pedant argue that swept volume excludes dead/fixed space above the piston ring such as domed combustion chambers while displacement does not? 😁

Maybe, though I don't see it.  The dead/fixed space is present at TDC and BDC, so the volume of gas moved between TDC and BDC must simply be down to the diameter and the stroke, no?

On my uni course they were considered two terms for the same thing.  Indeed "displacement" is synonymous with "swept volume", isn't it?  The amount of gas "swept" or "displaced"?

• Thanks 1

Hickky

That diagram is for a single leading shoe from what I can see. The Laverda has a twin leading shoe front brake.

• Confused 1

fj_stuart
46 minutes ago, Hickky said:

That diagram is for a single leading shoe from what I can see. The Laverda has a twin leading shoe front brake.

Well there are two cams (16) and the shoes pivot at different points - that says TLS to me.

• Thanks 2

slowboy
7 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

Well there are two cams (16) and the shoes pivot at different points - that says TLS to me.

Says it to me too. One of my engineer mates has one of these from a Honda on his 1938 velocette 350. Look the part, but stops the bike much better than the original.