Sign in to follow this  
Golflad

One for the Honda lover.

Dave H

I had a C plater

• Like 1

Golflad

Think mine must have been one of the first.

• Like 1

larryblag

Had  a CD175 (1973 model) when I was 15. Dad bought it me as a nearly complete project. Bit of tlc and brasso and it was ready for sale. Part-chopped for my 1st road bike Yamaha DT50 which was then a 16th birthday present 😁. 

I'll bet the CD175 would've made a more appropriate long-term bet and a future classic. But I'd have had to wait another year before I could ride it. And you know teenagers 🙄

• Like 1

Marvincon

My first bike at 16 years old, 1968. No bike since has had such an effect on my life than that did.

IMG_0645.BMP.jpg

• Like 12

RC166

Oooooh, proper mudguards and chainguard too. 

As the years go on, these old Japanese bikes look better and better!

• Like 3

fj_stuart

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery….

DSCF1784.jpg

DSCF1783a.jpg

• Like 5

Dave H

5ee7e74e6ab1f_DavesOldPics18.jpeg.33133860c3904be0fd2680b0d853b079.jpeg

CD 175 c1969

• Like 7

Tex
1 hour ago, RC166 said:

Oooooh, proper mudguards and chainguard too. 

As the years go on, these old Japanese bikes look better and better!

Couldn’t agree more. And Martin’s little blue Honda a bears that out. :) 

• Like 3

usabikes
6 hours ago, fj_stuart said:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery….

DSCF1784.jpg

DSCF1783a.jpg

Yeah... flippin' japs copying the Italians eh?

Typical.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Golflad

Serious question for you experts on here:- After 2 years of the CB72, the same dealer made me a great offer to trade in for a New CB77. It was not a good test ride. I remember that the vibrations were almost up to Triumph standard. The engine was in some way "Rougher?". I never did understand that as it looked exactly the same engine. Dealer said the bore was the only difference. The reference to Triumph is of course based on my experience. My brother loaned me his Thunderbird Outfit when my M21 was getting a rebore. Something fell off it on almost every ride. My lovely M21 was like floating along on a big white fluffy cloud. Getting all emotional here. 

• Haha 2

Golflad

P.S. The only other early Honda I liked was the gorgeous CB160. Like a little motorised sewing machine. What a gem.

• Like 2

MatBin
1 hour ago, Golflad said:

Serious question for you experts on here:- After 2 years of the CB72, the same dealer made me a great offer to trade in for a New CB77. It was not a good test ride. I remember that the vibrations were almost up to Triumph standard. The engine was in some way "Rougher?". I never did understand that as it looked exactly the same engine. Dealer said the bore was the only difference. The reference to Triumph is of course based on my experience. My brother loaned me his Thunderbird Outfit when my M21 was getting a rebore. Something fell off it on almost every ride. My lovely M21 was like floating along on a big white fluffy cloud. Getting all emotional here. 

Carbs out of balance dont help engine smoothness, maybe it was that (I'm no mechanic but I do recall the need to get the throttle bodies acting in sync.) and it used to be "interesting" balancing a twin setup let alone a triple. I still have my vacuum gauges some place. :)

FI is so much better now it's electronically controlled (unless it goes wrong of course).

• Like 1

fj_stuart

It's hard too see in my photo but the CB72/77 must have been the only bike with a twin leading shoe rear brake.

Golflad

My thinking is that they just bored the 250 out to 305 and didn't change owt else. Stuart, I think the rear brake was single leading shoe. The front brake was awesome.

Exceledsteve
16 hours ago, Dave H said:

5ee7e74e6ab1f_DavesOldPics18.jpeg.33133860c3904be0fd2680b0d853b079.jpeg

CD 175 c1969

Oy Dave, Bob Dylan's messing with your bike!

• Like 2

listener
8 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

Nah, it's Dennis Dunstable from the Fenn Street Gang ... :)

(top right)

101997.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dave H

Yep wavy hair, waved goodbye some time ago, I was 16 and that was the Hendrix/Clapton look.

• Like 1

larryblag
Posted (edited)
On 16/06/2020 at 15:13, Exceledsteve said:

But who shot the Sheriff? 

Edited by larryblag
Splellin

larryblag

Daft question maybe, but why the CB72/77 designation? 

fj_stuart
Posted (edited)
On 16/06/2020 at 13:26, Golflad said:

My thinking is that they just bored the 250 out to 305 and didn't change owt else. Stuart, I think the rear brake was single leading shoe. The front brake was awesome.

I said that because it looks the same as the TLS front brake on my first bike, a Yamaha 200. But it would be unusual.

cb77 rear wheel

Edited by fj_stuart

Golflad

Philip, no idea what CB72/77 means. I have asked the question many times. Best I got was :- the numbers 72/77 refer to the "swept volume" of each cylinder. Not a clue what that means so sorry. Thought about asking Soichiro himself but I don't speak Japanese. Just Yorkshire. I honestly cannot remember if the rear brake was Single or Twin leading shoe Stuart. I remember  I was given a tip from someone who raced an early CB72 regarding the front brake. I have it written down somewhere!!!! I can honestly say it was the very best front brake I ever applied.  

GaryBee
31 minutes ago, Golflad said:

Philip, no idea what CB72/77 means

Good old Google, & @Golflad was spot on

The main difference between the two models was displacement - 247cc for the CB72: 305cc for the CB77. Carb sizes of the larger bike were 2mm bigger. The Honda CB77 or, Super Hawk in the States, remained the largest bike in the Honda line-up until the Honda CB450 arrived in 1965/66.

• Like 1

Golflad

Take it then Gareth that Swept Volume and Displacement are same thing? All over my head this.

Tex
1 hour ago, Golflad said:

Take it then Gareth that Swept Volume and Displacement are same thing? All over my head this.

Indeed they are. :niceone:

I do recall some earlier Japanese models having TLS rear brakes - but I don’t remember exactly which! ;) 

• Like 1