Keith65

USB powerpoint

Keith65

HI

I have fitted a USB powerpoint into the storage compartment of my 2016 NC750x.

Not using the bike as often as I would be at the moment and am finding my battery is low on strength when trying to start.

A friend suggested wiring it into the ignition circuit instead of directly to the battery.  This will mean it is only drawing charge when the bike is on.

That all makes sense but i have no idea how to do this.

Is there any information out there that I could follow (idiots guide) that would help me get the job done.

Keith65

bahnstormer
Posted (edited)

If you've fitted it in the frunk, I'm assuming you're familiar with removing all the covers and fairings.....

Behind the left hand side cover, is a plug (from memory it's a 6 pin plug, clipped into a blank on the side of the frunk).  Honda make an additional harness that plugs into this and gives you an ignition power source (it also needs an extra relay and a fuse).  Part numbers are on here (or just buy from them, they're a good bunch).  

Once that's fitted, you could do what I did and snip the OE plugs off and fit your own connectors or snip the plugs off and solder/shrink the connections for your USB socket to the wires.

EDIT - Here's a pic that might help.  The plug is on the right of the photo and you can just about make out the black "blank" that it should be clipped into (further to the right of the plug).  The I fitted the larger connectors to the extension harness as they make it easier to neatly install non Honda accessories.

20200208-115231.jpg

Edited by bahnstormer

bahnstormer

Oh nearly forgot - if you're planning on fitting aux lights, the bikes with LED headlamps DON'T have a main beam feed in this harness.  Ask me how I know :lol:.

Gringo
11 minutes ago, bahnstormer said:

.............. I'm assuming you're familiar with removing all the covers and fairings.....

There goes my nervous twitch again....still haven't figured those things out. 

• Haha 1

Neil_S999

For bahnstormer: How did you get over the problem of no main beam feed.

I am having a couple of Denali S4's fitted with the additional Denali harness gizmo where the S4's will be on 50% power on dip and will come up to 100% on main beam.

Think I am going to have a problem.

Any suggestions ???

As for the harness you suggested further up, all works okay? as I will also be fitting a 12v power supply and usb unit.

bahnstormer
10 minutes ago, Neil_S999 said:

For bahnstormer: How did you get over the problem of no main beam feed.

I am having a couple of Denali S4's fitted with the additional Denali harness gizmo where the S4's will be on 50% power on dip and will come up to 100% on main beam.

Think I am going to have a problem.

Any suggestions ???

As for the harness you suggested further up, all works okay? as I will also be fitting a 12v power supply and usb unit.

I didn't get around it :lol: (In fact, I ditched the aux lights idea altogether).  As far as I know, there isn't a simple way of using the main beam signal to trigger aux lighting as the main beam is triggered by a switched ground, not a 12v supply.  One of the electrical guru's on here may know a way of doing it though.

As for the harness, it works perfectly :thumbsup:

GaryBee
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, bahnstormer said:

As far as I know, there isn't a simple way of using the main beam signal to trigger aux lighting as the main beam is triggered by a switched ground, not a 12v supply.  One of the electrical guru's on here may know a way of doing it though.

I have found the answer to the LED headlight triggering lights to come on in the following link on the US NC700 Forum- hopefully this link is allowed and will work- https://www.bad link/threads/auxiliary-lighting-for-2018-nc750x.16641/

I have yet to try it out.

Edited by GaryBee
link not quite right but it works
  • Like 1