600mle srevice

Thruppy

Bikes now approaching 500mls but due to my local dealer being very busy can't get a slot till 4th july.

So.

A: does it have to be a honda garage?

B:what are the consequences of going over the 600mle.?

Andy m

Be firm with the dealer and tell them you are a rider not a polisher. 

They will either find a slot or send you a waiver saying anything up to 1200 miles is fine. They are right, the first service is just a leftover for the 1950's and a sneaky way to increase the sale price without changing the ticket. Cars you will notice no longer bother. 

Strictly speaking anyone who can prove they are competent and uses genuine parts can do it. However, proving competence to Honda warranty when they really want to find an excuse not to pay out can be harder work. Personally I do all my own work after the 600 as I find I do a better job. I have no faith in warranties but have won a couple. Enfield let me do my own 600 with a waiver when their mechanic went into labour. The threat of this and knowing you have the right to do it is a good way to concentrate minds at the dealer. 

Honda I hear are sensible on warranty claims, if you change the oil 50 miles late then the paint falls off they don't count it against you. Triumph in particular are know for finding even the most flimsy excuse to reject claims as are BMW. 

Andy

• Like 2

Cheers for that Andy,

I presume the mechanic was female??😁

• Haha 2
alhendo1

If you want to wait for the dealer slot send a quick email to Honda customer services and they'll tell you what the parameters are then you have the definitive answer. I posted up here before re the 8k service and from memory you can go 500 miles or 1 month over but that may be different for the initial service... Best to check. 

• Like 1
riders in the storm

I've taken a gamble with both bikes and done all my own servicing.  The mileage racks up so slowly for me that I've time expired on the intervals long before I'm anywhere near the related mileage.

It's not worth the hassle of taking them to the dealers and I don't want to pay hundreds of pounds for an oil change I'd rather do myself......

• Like 4
Andy m

My TPS sensor claim against RE went through no hassle, as did getting an £800 speedo out of Moto-Guzzi. Enfield would have given me a new chain, but I didn't want a repeat of their under spec part. All items that aren't really serviceable so their mechanic wouldn't have spotted either. 

The one claim I had rejected was a failed brake light due to the loom rubbing through on a BMW that had had all the servicing done by them. According to their warranty department, looms rub through against the frame because when if first failed a non-BMW supplied bulb was fitted!

Andy

• Like 1
Trev
16 minutes ago, Andy m said:

The one claim I had rejected was a failed brake light due to the loom rubbing through on a BMW that had had all the servicing done by them. According to their warranty department, looms rub through against the frame because when if first failed a non-BMW supplied bulb was fitted!

Andy

Perhaps that's what caused the horn wire to rub against the headstock on my Enfield, I'll check what headlamp bulb I have fitted in case it causes more problems :thumbsup:

• Haha 1
alhendo1
18 minutes ago, Andy m said:

According to their warranty department, looms rub through against the frame because when if first failed a non-BMW supplied bulb was fitted!

Good grief!.. Seriously

Andy m
Just now, alhendo1 said:

Good grief!.. Seriously

Yep, Allan Jefferies BMW had the bike for a day and basically fitted a third lamp and sent me off with the advise not to shop at Motosave. That failed on the way home. I followed the loom up under the seat and found it rubbed through. Taped it up, fitted a new (cheap) lamp and rode back. Removed the tape and was given the "they all do that" routine, "We'll ask BMW for a new loom but they'll refuse and tell us to tape it" etc. Sure enough, when I chased them they claimed BMW had rejected the warranty.

Andy

• Confused 1

Thanks folks👌

listener

I wouldn't worry too much, if I were you Mark.

I've never had an issue with warranty claims and I've had the following late 600 services:

2002 - 650 Transalp  = 710+ miles

2019 - NC750X DCT  = 715

1997 - CB500             = 750+

2015 - NC750X DCT  = 813

1999 - 650 Deauville  = 1070+

Thankyou for that,not long had a call back from my local honda dealer saying nothing to worry about during the current climate.

Tamworth branch (sutton Honda) have always been very good,no complaints at all but i just needed to check.

👌

• Like 1