Rocker66

Street Twin???

Rocker66

Having decided to leave the roads to the crowds today I spent a few hours watching YouTube. I can understand why so many of you are fans of the Itchy Boots series.😀😀

As some of you will know one bike I keep looking at is the Triumph T100 but today I watched a few reviews on the Street Twin which convinced me that maybe if I were to go Triumph this might be the better choice for me. The reasons for this being :- 

1) Cast wheels and tubeless tyres

2) Lighter weight

3) lower seat height if low seat fitted.

4) Approx £800 cheaper.

The only minus point being it’s looks which are nowhere as reminiscent of the original 60s bikes.

• Like 3

Andy m

How does it compare to the Enfield Interceptor on the criteria you are looking at? Rumour has it the 2021 version will be cast wheels and tubeless. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

Rocker66
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Andy m said:

How does it compare to the Enfield Interceptor on the criteria you are looking at? Rumour has it the 2021 version will be cast wheels and tubeless. 

Andy

Street Twin weight 196Kg seat height 787mm with lower seat

Interceptor weight 202Kg seat height 804mm.

CB500X weight 197Kg     Seat height 830mm

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

larryblag
21 hours ago, Andy m said:

Andy

According to most of the reviews, the RE Interceptor is a fantastic bike. And most agree it would still be excellent value at £1000 more than it's current list price. The updated model with the enhancements Andy mentioned might be just the job. If it comes with black engine cases too this would address the most common complaint with the RE650 - the unlacquered aluminium cases are a bit prone to marks an need considerable upkeep. 

I might try one. Offer to write up in return for a demo ride. 

alhendo1
44 minutes ago, larryblag said:

I might try one.

Uh oh! 😊

• Haha 4

larryblag

Not to buy, just to try. And so I can provide you lovely people on 'ere with one of my award-winning shallow reviews. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Rocker66
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Not to buy, just to try.

That’s what I said about the CB1300S and guess what.😀😀

Edited by Rocker66
  • Haha 2

Andy m

I was thinking as much about style and price as the tech spec. The Street Twin seems like the usable bike the 790 was underneath trying to be a style icon, while the Enfield seems to actually look less modern. For the price difference I'd go see. 

Andy

• Like 1

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

I was thinking as much about style and price as the tech spec. The Street Twin seems like the usable bike the 790 was underneath trying to be a style icon, while the Enfield seems to actually look less modern. For the price difference I'd go see. 

Andy

We have a RE dealer over in Canterbury so I may well see if they are doing test rides yet.

• Like 2

larryblag

Ours usually have a demo bike available - I think RE insist on it as they continue their expansion plans. I'll bet Canterbury do too? 

Tex
2 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Ours usually have a demo bike available - I think RE insist on it as they continue their expansion plans. I'll bet Canterbury do too? 

I think Rock meant that some dealers are restricting test rides as part of their COVID defences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cazmal

Love my Street Twin  - that's all!😃👍

• Like 1

suffolk58

My local dealer had a good deal on the Kawasaki W800 (which ends today) and to talk myself into it, I started to search YouTube for reviews.

I found this one, and now I really fancy a Royal Enfield Interceptor. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gaucho
38 minutes ago, cazmal said:

Love my Street Twin  - that's all!😃👍

Ditto 😎👍

• Like 1

Rocker66
7 minutes ago, Gaucho said:

Ditto 😎👍

Thank you.I remember trying yours for size at The Pilot and finding that it fitted me well.

• Like 2

millsy65

I too looked at the Street Twin. Very nice but  v small (I’m 6’0”) and expensive for what it is. I tried out an Interceptor and it is now in my shed! I was looking for a bike that reminded me of the 70/80’s but without the issues. The Interceptor just looks and is right to my eyes. Lovely sound with an engine every bit as sweet as the ST. Not as powerful and suspension is budget but that can be fixed. For me, the bike is a keeper!

I’m now awaiting Delivery of a new NC750x DCT (traded my tiger). We will use this for two up touring. ( Didn’t really like the triple engine and top heaviness)

• Like 2

pjm

Millsy, assuming you are a Scot. Is there a Mills tartan?

• Like 1

baben

I really like the street twin. The clutch is light and the engine is really torquey with enough go to make me happy. After the test ride I was grinning like a loon. Issues for me are, cramped - but a taller seat might fix that and no weather protection but aftermarket screens are available. The suspension is still a bit basic at the rear end but liveable with. I may yet end up with one. The RE looks great but the clutch and the bike are both heavier than the Street and the motor does not have sufficient drive (for me). 3 year warranty though so they are pretty confident it is well built.

• Like 3

Andy m

I can confirm the Bonneville works fine with a screen and the shocks are indeed the cheapest of the cheap. I lived with mine and even bought another set when one went, they very cheap on the auction site because so many owners upgrade. 

Why would a 3 year warranty make you think anything is well build? Warranty is just a commercial balance between what you pay out and what you tell the owner comes under "they all do that". The headline figure is just a differentiator in the market that Enfield think will help them get past the image 1970's Bullets created. My experience of two Bullets is that they do pay, but once they have the market share they want they'll go the way of the Bavarians (Paint falling off? Did you use dealer supplied soap?) . Three years warranty also pushes towards three years dealer servicing which helps with that commercial balance. P&D in Wakefield didn't force this, but Triumph didn't used to either while they were growing . I'd read owners reports (they seem happy but low mileages). 

Andy

millsy65
16 hours ago, pjm said:

Millsy, assuming you are a Scot. Is there a Mills tartan?

Almost but not quite! Lived in Scotland since I was 9 (grew up in Hamilton). Only claim to a Tartan is from my great gran, a Farquharson.

sams700

I have tried a Street Twin, albeit the older version with less power. I found it OK to ride but wasn't thrilled. To be honest I sort of enjoyed the Harley more, if I just wanted to potter and cruise around. I also put my money where my mouth is and bought one.

Its a pretty bike though and I can see the attraction.