fred_jb

Joining the camper owning forum sub-group!

Jeffprince

Nice, Fred. Am looking for similar myself. Does it have a loo, dare I ask? 

• Like 1

bahnstormer

Looks interesting Fred, I've not seen one of those conversions before.  For a little while last year I had aspirations to buy an old ambulance and kit it out (mostly inspired by Project Amber to be honest).  I soon came to the realisation that I don't have the space or patience though :lol:.

What motor is in the Citroen?

Look forward to seeing some more pics when you've got it.

• Like 1

fred_jb
3 minutes ago, Jeffprince said:

Nice, Fred. Am looking for similar myself. Does it have a loo, dare I ask? 

Unfortunately it is only equipped with a Porta-Potti, but you would have to go to a much bigger vehicle to have a toilet/shower compartment and something like a Thetford fixed toilet with external door for removing the waste tank for emptying.  We wanted to keep it as car like as possible, but will at least have something for emergencies!

• Thanks 1

fred_jb
5 minutes ago, bahnstormer said:

Looks interesting Fred, I've not seen one of those conversions before.  For a little while last year I had aspirations to buy an old ambulance and kit it out (mostly inspired by Project Amber to be honest).  I soon came to the realisation that I don't have the space or patience though :lol:.

What motor is in the Citroen?

Look forward to seeing some more pics when you've got it.

I know what you mean about conversions.  With our T4 we imported the van from Holland with the help of Dutch friends, which saved a lot of money, and had the Reimo rising roof and floor rails for furniture done professionally, but then I bought and installed most of the rest of the stuff from the UK Reimo agents.  As a consequence it took a lot of time and energy, never got entirely finished off, and just didn't look as good as a professional conversion, though with two young boys on board a fancier conversion would not have stayed pristine for long! It was what we could afford at the time though, and served its purpose so overall a fairly good experience.

The motor in the new van is the Citroen/Peugeot BlueHDi two litre 150 bhp diesel with manual six speed box.  Would have quite liked the slightly more powerful version with the 8 speed auto box, with flappy paddles for manual mode, but would have cost a lot more and no discount as they would have had to order in specially.

This is the Possl website:  https://www.campster.de/modell

• Like 1

bahnstormer
11 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

I know what you mean about conversions.  With our T4 we imported the van from Holland with the help of Dutch friends, which saved a lot of money, and had the Reimo rising roof and floor rails for furniture done professionally, but then I bought and installed most of the rest of the stuff from the UK Reimo agents.  As a consequence it took a lot of time and energy, never got entirely finished off, and just didn't look as good as a professional conversion, though with two young boys on board a fancier conversion would not have stayed pristine for long! It was what we could afford at the time though, and served its purpose so overall a fairly good experience.

The motor in the new van is the Citroen/Peugeot BlueHDi two litre 150 bhp diesel with manual six speed box.  Would have quite liked the slightly more powerful version with the 8 speed auto box, with flappy paddles for manual mode, but would have cost a lot more and no discount as they would have had to order in specially.

This is the Possl website:  https://www.campster.de/modell

Wow, they certainly pack a lot in there!  Looks very comfy, I have to say.  You can't really go wrong with a PSA HDi lump, I cut my teeth on those when they first came out.  Pretty much bullet-proof IIRC.

• Like 1

fred_jb

A video here if it's of interest:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grumpy old man

Towing bracket and a bike trailer?:D

• Like 1

ted

You could always get a toilet tent and maybe think about a bike trailer. 

• Like 2

fred_jb
4 minutes ago, ted said:

You could always get a toilet tent and maybe think about a bike trailer. 

As a fairly keen driver I'm not keen on towing, but I guess it might be a price worth paying to take the bike with us, and then use the van as a base for rideouts on the bike.

Will definitely be looking for a small toilet tent as there is barely any spare floor space for the Porta-Potti with the downstairs bed in place.

larryblag
Posted (edited)

I had a T25 (Air Cooled) box shape VW camper for a short time. Lovely and quiet up front. It had the double bed in the usual place but had a "Spacemaker" roof conversion with three more bunks "upstairs". My only mistake was to sell the family car in the belief that I could use it as my daily driver. 2.0 petrol did about 18 mpg. 

The advent of the diesel turbo T4 changes everything though. Bloke at work bought a 2006 (I think) with the camper King conversion which he loves and they use it a lot. The only thing about self conversions is getting insurance. Though this may have changed since I had mine. 

I must admit  there's something undeniably satisfying about pulling up somewhere - (almost anywhere) putting the kettle on and setting up right where you are. 

Good luck with your search Fred. May you have many happy years ahead in your little mobile home. 

P. S. I personally prefer the van conversions to the coach built campers. 

Edited by larryblag
  • Like 1

riders in the storm
Posted (edited)

Welcome indeed to the camper sub forum !

We have a towbar on the back of our Autotrail  coachbuilt  and a bike trailer.

I take the "proper" bike ( to me that's the NC !) if going on a solo trip, or we take the scoot ( for all round practicality) if she is coming.

Having a mobile  "base camp" opens up a whole new range of touring options.

You may have grabbed a bargain in the nick of time. Reports on the motorhome forums are of an explosion in camper/MH sales......

Having just been looking at the TUI website for a possible overseas trip for a forthcoming birthday, I can see why !!

Edited by riders in the storm
  • Like 1

fred_jb

Incidentally, we are selling the bigger of our two cars to help finance this, which is one reason why it has to be small enough to function as a car as well, so if anyone is interested in our car, please get in touch. Despite being an MPV it is quite a good drivers car, fast, firm suspension, corners well with no body roll, and very comfortable.  It's a lovely motor and I will be sad to see it go. I tried to persuade Anne that we should sell her Fiat 500 instead, but she wasn't having it!

i-4KFM3Jc-XL.jpg

Zafira Tourer, 5 + 2 seats, 2 litre diesel 168 bhp, 61k miles and has recently had the expensive cambelt and waterpump replacement service.

fred_jb
4 minutes ago, riders in the storm said:

Welcome indeed to the camper sub forum !

We have a towbar on the back of our Autotrail and a bike trailer.

I take the "proper" bike ( to me that's the NC !) if going on a solo trip, or we take the scoot ( for all round practicality) if she is coming.

Having a mobile  "base camp" opens up a whole new range of touring options.

You may have grabbed a bargain in the nick of time. Reports on the motorhome forums are of an explosion in camper/MH sales......

Having just been looking at the TUI website for a possible overseas trip for a forthcoming birthday, I can see why !!

Yes, that's why we decided to go for it really - it was a stretch to buy now, but we felt that there would not be any bargains to be had in the near future if we hesitated, due to increased demand, and also possible import tariffs after December.

• Like 1

larryblag
13 minutes ago, riders in the storm said:

You have grabbed a bargain in the nick of time. Reports on the motorhome forums are of an explosion

Always get your gas appliances checked annually 👍

• Haha 3

Grumpy old man
23 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

As a fairly keen driver I'm not keen on towing, but I guess it might be a price worth paying to take the bike with us, and then use the van as a base for rideouts on the bike.

You wouldn't know it was behind you until it came to reversing then it would be easier to unhitch and push. The biggest issue would  e getting that big BMW on the trailer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

fred_jb
1 minute ago, Grumpy old man said:

You wouldn't know it was behind you until it came to reversing then it would be easier to unhitch and push. The biggest issue would  e getting that big BMW on the trailer.

I fear you are right.  Maybe a second smaller bike or scoot would be a possibility, but likely to be vetoed I'm afraid!

• Haha 1

Grumpy old man
1 minute ago, fred_jb said:

I fear you are right.  Maybe a second smaller bike or scoot would be a possibility, but likely to be vetoed I'm afraid!

And the list goes on. A baby BMW?

• Like 2

larryblag

Love the look of your new Camper Fred 👍 I thought it was a VW at very first glance. The T4s are probably over priced to be honest and your Citroen will do everything a VW would. Good purchase. I'm a tiny bit jealous if I'm honest 🙏😇

• Like 1

larryblag
20 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

And the list goes on. A baby BMW?

G310GS Sir? 

• Haha 1

Trev
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, fred_jb said:

Very nice Fred, I like the colour.

I have the van version of this, with the auto box and 180 bhp motor, quite a rapid bit of kit, great for putting flabby T5's in their place :thumbsup: 

Bought brand new (through my then company) back in March 2017 and it's now covered 28k. Only Issue I've had, apart from a few incidental recalls, has been poor service from original dealer (unfortunately they got bought out a year after I bought it and service levels went through the floor) and an annoying glitch with the radio, still not resolved, that sees it lose it's setting when you turn the ignition off. Not a huge issue as it's usually on bluetooth music anyway.

I can say that it's very car like to drive, mine is the medium length, standard height and it's was a joy on our 3.5k trip around Europe year before last, adaptive cruise makes it a great motorway cruiser. It's our main transport for the 200+ mile trip to Cornwall and sits at 80+ on the dual carriageway no problem. So far mine is averaging 42.1 mpg which I think is pretty good.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Edited by Trev
  • Like 2

fred_jb
10 minutes ago, Trev said:

Very nice Fred, I like the colour.

I have the van version of this, with the auto box and 180 bhp motor, quite a rapid bit of kit, great for putting flabby T5's in their place :thumbsup: 

Bought brand new (through my then company) back in March 2017 and it's now covered 28k. Only Issue I've had, apart from a few incidental recalls, has been poor service from original dealer (unfortunately they got bought out a year after I bought it and service levels went through the floor) and an annoying glitch with the radio, still not resolved, that sees it lose it's setting when you turn the ignition off. Not a huge issue as it's usually on bluetooth music anyway.

I can say that it's very car like to drive, mine is the medium length, standard height and it's was a joy on our 3.5k trip around Europe year before last, adaptive cruise makes it a great motorway cruiser. It's our main transport for the 200+ mile trip to Cornwall and sits at 80+ on the dual carriageway no problem. So far mine is averaging 42.1 mpg which I think is pretty good.

Enjoy :thumbsup:

Good to hear, thanks.   Mine has had the 3100 kg upgrade which gives you about 400kg more payload though I don't think we really need that, but is apparently required for the underfloor heating system, so I guess gives more ground clearance too, though it supposedly it still just fits under 2m height barriers.

I looked at a few T6  conversions (latest VW version) but they are more expensive and often based on the 102 bhp engine which I imagine must be pretty lethargic.  If I wanted VW's own factory produced camper, the California, I would have had to go for something like a two year old example with 25k or more miles on it to get down to the price I've paid for the brand new Citroen based one.

That is one good thing about camper vans, the depreciation is very low compared to cars or commercial vans.  I spent about £25k on my previous T4 based camper and sold it after 10 years and 100k miles for £13k.  Mind you it had a brand new engine at zero cost to me when sold , courtesy of a bodged cambelt service at the VW main dealer which allowed the flywheel to work loose causing the cambelt to jump and wreck the engine.  I got an engineers report which found the evidence of movement and which proved it was their fault due to re-using a single use stretch bolt - my receipt had a charge for every bolt and washer apart from that crucial one.

fred_jb
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

I had a T25 (Air Cooled) box shape VW camper for a short time. Lovely and quiet up front. It had the double bed in the usual place but had a "Spacemaker" roof conversion with three more bunks "upstairs". My only mistake was to sell the family car in the belief that I could use it as my daily driver. 2.0 petrol did about 18 mpg. 

The advent of the diesel turbo T4 changes everything though. Bloke at work bought a 2006 (I think) with the camper King conversion which he loves and they use it a lot. The only thing about self conversions is getting insurance. Though this may have changed since I had mine. 

I must admit  there's something undeniably satisfying about pulling up somewhere - (almost anywhere) putting the kettle on and setting up right where you are. 

Good luck with your search Fred. May you have many happy years ahead in your little mobile home. 

P. S. I personally prefer the van conversions to the coach built campers. 

I and my then girlfriend hired one of those for a long tour around France.  We took my parents who wanted to visit France for the first time  but didn't feel confident about going their own.  It was good fun, and although it was a 4 berth camper I took my tent as well and we slept in that some nights for a bit of, ahem, privacy! :whistle:

poldark
5 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

I and my then girlfriend hired one of those for a long tour around France.  We took my parents who wanted to visit France for the first time  but didn't feel confident about going their own.  It was good fun, and although it was a 4 berth camper I took my tent as well and we slept in that some nights for a bit of, ahem, privacy! :whistle:

Guessing your parents often wondered why French crickets made muffled screaming noises in the night!! 😁😁

• Haha 2

wjvh

Possl is good make; the base vehicle

looks very manageable. I also have a camper but nowt as fancy ...

i couldn’t imagine life without it : bought when my son was 8 yrs old, he is now 14, and we use it all the time. I can also just about squeeze a motorbike in the back (the seat slides back and forth). Also, as it is a ropey old piece of crap I ain’t precious about the interior (two dogs! I mean, no chance of keeping that clean) or the exterior. Parts, both new and used, are laughably cheap. 

45370A84-7C27-4CAA-A698-084568CCDD18.jpeg

• Like 4