Trev

reminded me of a buzz I still miss

Trev
Posted (edited)

A mate of mine posted this up on another forum the other day with the title 'Please don't kill me' and it soooooo reminded me of how I used to feel when I used to wheel my 89 GSXR1100K out of the garage. The headlight stare used to give me a little chill when I took the cover off :cry:

pray.jpg

Edited by Trev
  • Like 10

listener

How To Train Your DRagon?! :whistle:

hqdefault.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Gringo
11 hours ago, Trev said:

A mate of mine posted this up on another forum the other day with the title 'Please don't kill me' and it soooooo reminded me of how I used to feel when I used to wheel my 89 GSXR1100K out of the garage. The headlight stare used to give me a little chill when I took the cover off :cry:

Now that is something to 'take the knee' for. :yes:

• Like 2

sams700

I felt the same way with my old cbr600 and the 954.

Get the same feeling with my current ktm

• Like 2

larryblag

I had this feeling about ten years ago when I almost bought a ZZR1100 

slowboy

I used to think that looking in the mirror, it was never the bike that was going to do it, it was always going to be the nut behind the bars........😁

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Trev
2 minutes ago, slowboy said:

I used to think that looking in the mirror, it was never the bike that was going to do it, it was always going to be the nut behind the bars........😁

Yup I used to the same chill when checking my 'sports bike rider distant stare' in the mirrors :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rocker66

I have only had two bikes that really gave me that feeling although I often had access to the one in the 3rd picture which was David Brown M/Cs demo.

007-7.jpg[

img716.jpg[

img961.jpg[u

• Like 1

listener

The only bike I've ridden that doubled as a laxative was the 900 Hornet I had on a test ride in 2003.

Part of my test route has a decent straight (about half a mile) for testing the roll-on acceleration.

I get the bike running at 40mph in an appropriate gear then, when I pass the Durris sign, I whack the throttle open and run up through the gears.

When I arrive at the layby (P) I check the speed and throttle back to normality.

Most of the bikes I've run over this route get to, or just over 70mph, but ...

On the 900 Hornet I had barely covered half the distance when my sphincter said "enough" - let's just say I made bloody sure of my membership of the ton-up club! :whistle:

• Like 2

bahnstormer

By far the most terrifying thing I've ever ridden was a YBR125 :lol:.  I'd rented it for a week in between my DAS course and the Mod 1/2 test day, just to keep practicing.  The skinny little tyres, coupled with the fact that even when it was fully fuelled it weighed less than me made it a genuinely harrowing experience.  I actually nearly gave up on motorcycling because of that bike!  Then I remembered the time and money I'd put into it and carried on but I don't think I'll be riding a YBR ever again :lol:.

• Like 1

larryblag

Oh yes, just remembered. Had a go on a mate's RD350LC (circa 1981). It was fitted with Microns which ruined the power delivery. Nothing at all below about 8,000 rpm - then an unwelcome power wheelie (approaching a bend) 😳😳😳

• Like 1

Trev
8 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Oh yes, just remembered. Had a go on a mate's RD350LC (circa 1981). It was fitted with Microns which ruined the power delivery. Nothing at all below about 8,000 rpm - then an unwelcome power wheelie (approaching a bend) 😳😳😳

Lesson learned, don't approach bends at 8000 rpm :D

• Haha 3

listener
2 hours ago, larryblag said:

"They all do that, sir!" :whistle:

• Haha 1

Hickky
3 hours ago, larryblag said:

Oh yes, just remembered. Had a go on a mate's RD350LC (circa 1981). It was fitted with Microns which ruined the power delivery. Nothing at all below about 8,000 rpm - then an unwelcome power wheelie (approaching a bend)

Philip, it wasn't the Microns fault, the plot needed re-jetting because the pipes produced more top end (no, they actually did, that's why you couldn't use them for proddie racing) but it was possible to get the bike to run well with microns.

My worst was a rather tired KH500 triple that I bought on a Monday, ran it up to the BMF rally in Peterborough on the following Sunday, It spat me off on one of the many roundabouts on the A1 (all gone now) with my head just missing a lorry tyre. It was an all or nothing engine with an awful frame and, had I been married it would have been called 'the Widdowmaker'. As it was it was called the 'flexi flyer' then, when I got back home, 'that fu***ng bike'. On the Monday I went to Snow Hill (London) to the MCN offices to place a classified ad for tfb. It was sold the following Sunday to a mate of mine who wanted a bike for racing. Needless to say he was leading his first ever race with flapper jacket on, then after 5 laps, it spat him off coming out of Druids, bent the frame but rode it again in two weeks time.

• Haha 1

Tonyj

First Mx bike after coming back to bikes from karting  was a Yamaha yz465. 2smoke , steep learning curve there but that’s seems my path in life . The superduke makes me feel the same and both could and do lift the front in 4 over a crest. 
Had a KX500 after that then got the 250 and managed to go quicker on this has it didn’t try to kill me every ride :0)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

slowboy
1 hour ago, Tonyj said:

First Mx bike after coming back to bikes from karting  was a Yamaha yz465. 2smoke , steep learning curve there but that’s seems my path in life . The superduke makes me feel the same and both could and do lift the front in 4 over a crest. 
Had a KX500 after that then got the 250 and managed to go quicker on this has it didn’t try to kill me every ride :0)

Ah yes, the old half litre Motocross bikes. A small part of me would still like a Maico 440 enduro version of the MX bike. If only to underline my lack of talent in red.....😈.

• Haha 1

Andy m

Never had one that frightened me. 

I used to dread the Urinal breaking down and trying to hold 1100cc lumps back to 30 mph but that's always in waves, up when it snows and the *** starts, down when you hear the latest death rattle. Just a case of stepping back and deciding if you want to spend time picking up the required skills (30 mph is, easy BTW, second gear and ignore the noise). 

Andy

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Tonyj said:

26 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Ah yes, the old half litre Motocross bikes. A small part of me would still like a Maico 440 enduro version of the MX bike. If only to underline my lack of talent in red.....😈.

Nothing will ever entice me back on a Husqvarna enduro bike.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

baben

YB100 with a front brake made out of biscuits. An emergency stop involved feet on the floor. Great cure for constipation.

• Like 1

larryblag

I've just been reminded (See "Happy Yamaha Day")

I was witness to someone else having a "moment" a few years ago. Bloke on a VMAX on the A52 near Gamston. I was in the car in the nearside line, he in the offside as we negotiated the exit of a wet roundabout. Though he was applying appropriate caution, he wound in the power just a little too early and had a massive tank slapper 😳 which felt like it went on forever - poor fella 😔

He saved it though and carried on - a little more cautiously 👣

• Like 1

slowboy
Posted (edited)

Father in law lent me his V9 Roamer for a test ride the other day. Nothing to do with him selling it, oh no 😁.

Very nice, the first Guzzi I've ridden since my 1100 California. Felt like it was dropping into corners a bit, but nothing I couldn't live with. And I've forgotten his nippy these big engined bikes are. Very easy to manoeuvre at low speed and all the Guzziness was still intact with how the motor sounds and feels, how the Gearbox swaps cogs 😂 And shaft drive to boot. Very nice.

No I'm not buying it, but very nice nevertheless. He's finding it a bit heavy as he reaches 77 years old. It's being replaced by an SLK....... he's still got three other bikes.

Growing old disgracefully as ever.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3

Tex

4 minutes ago, slowboy said:

No I'm not buying it, but very nice nevertheless. He's finding it a bit heavy as he reaches 77 years old. It's being replaced by an SLK....... he's still got three other bikes.

I was thinking “Hmm, SLK? There’s a bike I haven’t even heard of. Might be Chinese?” Then the penny dropped it’s a bleeding car! Maybe Mrs T is right and I do have a one track mind, eh? ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

Father in law lent me his V9 Roamer for a test ride the other day. Nothing to do with him selling it, oh no 😁.

Very nice, the first Guzzi I've ridden since my 1100 California. Felt like it was dropping into corners a bit, but nothing I couldn't live with. And I've forgotten his nippy these big engined bikes are. Very easy to manoeuvre at low speed and all the Guzziness was still intact with how the motor sounds and feels, how the Gearbox swaps cogs 😂 And shaft drive to boot. Very nice.

Ah yes, an SLK........great cars but like bikes they can be addictive. I had a beautiful SLK with the 3.2 litre V6 motor, very nice indeed. In fact it was so nice I swapped it for its larger brother the SL55 AMG which is a glorious car which I kept for a long time until I swapped it for the Jeep.............if you're going to transition from V8 petrol rocket ship to an oil burner with the turning circle of an aircraft carrier I can't think of a better way. Oh how the mighty are fallen.  

Erm.......I was just wondering, purely out of academic interest and I'm sure there are others and all that.....how much is he asking for the V9?

Trev
11 hours ago, slowboy said:

I'm pleased you enjoyed it and agree the V9 is still a 'proper' Guzzi. I've been out on my Bobber for a few trips on my own now, yesterday just over 100 miles and it's growing on me even more. It has an acceptable level of handling and performance, very good brakes, comfortable seat and suspension (so far), just enough gadgets to not be 'bum basic', looks great (IMO of course) and even sounds okay'ish in a modern bike kinda way.

The first 300 miles had been nearly all two up, apart from the gentle potter around the Forest, and showing 68 - 70 mpg, yesterdays trip saw that drop to 58 mpg but did include a couple of 'what'll it do Mister' sessions and a lovely fifteen mile section that saw the tyre edges get a little bit of work. Agreed Brian that the motor tugs along very nicely from lower speeds (max torque is supposed to at 3,000 rpm so no surprise there) but it does run out of puff at the top end, not helped by the fact the rider is spread out in the airflow. Not a major problem, it's not that sort of bike and 70/80 mph cruising is easy with a bit in reserve, if not quite so comfortable for the rider.

I've started to get a feel for the small diam/large width tyre combo and the Pirelli's have good feel to them, certainly in the dry at least. One drawback is that the side stand (there is no centre stand thank gawd) hits the deck far too easily. I've grounded it twice already with Mrs Smith as pillion, the first I put down to a sudden dip in the road on a fairly tight corner, the second I tried it around my local, middle of nowhere roundabout and was unpleasantly surprised to see how easily, and quite forcefully, it made contact. I touched it down again today on the same roundabout this time one up and it wouldn't take silly cornering to give it a real clout. 

The seat and suspension seem comfortable, if anything the seat may be too soft on longer stints but, so far, it's been fine. The shocks are more forgiving than the ones on the V7 I had but still a touch harsh and, given the lack of ground clearance, I'm going to splash out on some Hagons with adjustable damping and ability to adjust length by 10mm. The seat height is very low so adding 5-6mm, maybe more, should help reduce side stand surprises and, if I get the spring rate right, make the ride even more comfortable.

I'm very pleased with the brakes, the ones on my V7 were good as is the set up on the Griso and Guzzi haven't disappointed on the V9 either. The single front disc is strong with lots of feel and rear is perfect for gentle slowing. ABS doesn't seem too intrusive either, even when tried on the gravel roads around my house. Traction control is a bit over zealous on level 2, level 1 is okay (or is that the other way round? :hmm:) and even on gravel you can get a little bit of spin before it cuts in and, when it does, it's doesn't cut the motor dead like it did on the V7. It can be switched off but, other than to check how it's done, I haven't found the need yet, perhaps when I meet Radarman on Salisbury Plain :D

Rest of it, paint finish, switch gear, horn, etc all absolutely fine, so much so I've not taken much notice. Not ridden in the dark yet so can't comment on the headlight.

I probably will change the exhausts as the farty poppy dribbly sound, like most modern bikes, isn't really to my liking but, if I do so, this time it will be some expensive Mivi's or similar not cheapo mega's I have to pack out as don't want anything too noisy (in fact just a tad up on what they are now would be okay) or ruin the delicate euro 4 fueling. Whisper it but I may (just may) even get some side cases for the thing if I decide to take it on any trips as it's not really practical to mount a roll bag anywhere unless I get a big rack which is probably even uglier. A magnetic tank bag should sit nicely on the large (surface not volume) tank top though so that will compensate a little.

While I'm on fuel tanks, this one is tiny, light just flashing only saw me get 9.7 litres in the thing so travelling at my preferred speeds that will only give 120/140 miles between fill ups which may be a little annoying on a longer trip. 

Anyhoo, that's it for now, 700 miles, three weeks in and not cleaned it yet either :frantics:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1