Chris750

Tyre Pressure Monitor.

Chris750

This popped up on my Bennetts rewards thingy so thought I'd give it a go. Just over 70 quid and having antiquated rubber tubes what could possibly go wrong? (Apart from a high speed blowout)

20200701-135917.jpg

Gringo

Never seen one of those before. Would be interesting to read some reviews but, meanwhile, I'll stick with my trusty pencil type gauge.

wingrider.steve
Posted (edited)

The Michelin system gets good reviews and I think a TPMS is a good idea on any vehicle but especially a M/C.

I've got the Fobo2 system fitted on my Wing and it works well, it's accurate and links to an app on my phone so no more grovelling around on my knees to check tyre pressures.

Check the installation instructions on the Michelin system, most of the TPMS systems that use sensors screwed onto the valve stem (rather than fitted inside the tyre) recommend they only be fitted to straight, metal valve stems as rubber valve stems can flex and fail when fitted with the sensors.

Edited by wingrider.steve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gringo

Just watched a couple of videos of these systems. They look the business to be fair. I think my biggest concern would be some tea leaf having them away unless, of course, you took them off when parked up for any length of time and putting a standard dust cap on...maybe.

Chris750
28 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Just watched a couple of videos of these systems. They look the business to be fair. I think my biggest concern would be some tea leaf having them away unless, of course, you took them off when parked up for any length of time and putting a standard dust cap on...maybe.

This has a lock nut for the sensors and the display pops out of its magnetic holder easily.

• Thanks 1

Gringo
2 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

This has a lock nut for the sensors and the display pops out of its magnetic holder easily.

Are you going to fit it Chris? I'd be interested in how you get on with it. Sounds like a quality bit of kit and very useful.

Chris750

Yes I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and Check it out, it's quite clever, to change from Psi to Bar you pop the display in and out it's magnetic holder three times and it swaps between the two. Also to charge it there's an inductive base with USB lead.

• Like 1

kayz1

So does it say how long the batteries will last in the valve caps, can you replace them yourself or is it a buy new caps game?

Lyn.

jeremyr62

I have ordered the Fobo 2 kit. I will be fitting this to my NC so I will report back when I have some time with it. I did consider the Michelin but I want to be able to swap the sensors between my bikes and I figured a mobile phone app to read the pressures would work better for me. Couldn't find a UK distributor though. Had to order it direct from Malaysia. Batteries in the Fobo sensors are user replaceable. I think the Michelin are not user replaceable but last for 5 years.

Andy m
14 hours ago, wingrider.steve said:

... Straight, metal valve stems as rubber valve stems can flex and fail when fitted... 

Absolutely key to this and a real issue. 

I sell TPMS. My easiest market is the fleets that have had working systems then blow outs where the weight of the sensor ripped the valve off. The hardest are fleets that had the blow outs before they got the data. 

Internal sensors also give you temperature, a far earlier indicator that something is wrong. 

Pressure only and two tyres, I'd stick to a basic digital gauge. With 22 to check daily , having it on a phone app is an actual time saver. 

The ones to really avoid are magic eye or coloured pencil gauge type things built into valve caps. Chinese tat of the worst, most dangerous order because all the air is held in by a single O-ring without a seat, running between two pressed cylinders. Roll the O-ring up and down the tube enough and it will blow. 

Andy

• Thanks 3

Andy m
6 hours ago, kayz1 said:

So does it say how long the batteries will last in the valve caps, can you replace them yourself or is it a buy new caps game?

Lyn.

Typically 3 years but that's not a m/c application. They wake-up when they get radio messages at the right frequency. It's normally the cab door blipper that wakes them up (there are not enough frequencies allocated, two hobbyists with Morse keys get a bigger spectrum) , so if you work at Tesco expect shorter life. Bike stuff tends to die of old age not over exercise. 

Non-replacable is better. No one has yet come up with a battery cover that will work in the spray blast of a wheel rim. Dead battery or dead through salt water rot, its all the same. 

Andy

• Like 1

wingrider.steve
1 hour ago, jeremyr62 said:

I have ordered the Fobo 2 kit. I will be fitting this to my NC so I will report back when I have some time with it. I did consider the Michelin but I want to be able to swap the sensors between my bikes and I figured a mobile phone app to read the pressures would work better for me. Couldn't find a UK distributor though. Had to order it direct from Malaysia. Batteries in the Fobo sensors are user replaceable. I think the Michelin are not user replaceable but last for 5 years.

I got my Fobo 2 kit from Martin Lynch here in the UK, www.hamradio.co.uk

jeremyr62
1 hour ago, wingrider.steve said:

I got my Fobo 2 kit from Martin Lynch here in the UK, www.hamradio.co.uk

Hamradio. An obvious source. :)

Chris750
Posted (edited)

All I can say at the moment is that it all works.

Pressure displayed within half a mile, I mounted it on the tank as the magnet is pretty strong until I decide on it's final location.

20200702-120918.jpg

20200702-120956.jpg

20200702-121009.jpg

Edited by Chris750
Speeling mistook.

wjvh

Don't forget to adjust your wheel balances!

outrunner

I imagine TPMS will be mandatory on all new vehicles in the not too distant future but I have never seen the need for motorcycles. How hard is it to check pressures before a ride? and if you can not tell if a tyre is going soft while riding then perhaps motorcycling is not for you. ;)

Andy.

Andy m
1 minute ago, outrunner said:

I imagine TPMS will be mandatory on all new vehicles in the not too distant future but I have never seen the need for motorcycles. How hard is it to check pressures before a ride? and if you can not tell if a tyre is going soft while riding then perhaps motorcycling is not for you. ;)

Andy.

Mandatory for new cars now. Legislation for trucks was due in 2022 but the committees in the Over Empire have had distractions, so now due in 2025. It will come for bikes eventually. Indirect systems using ABS sensors were banned because you have to drive to find the flat. 

As with all such systems the manufacturers have been busy with free dinners, bottles of whisky, dancing girls/boys for members of said committees. Not you understand as a way to sell more, but as a public service to improve the well being and safety of their fellow citizens. The argument for bikes will be not that riders don't check, but that with every other vehicle having TPMS that using a gauge will be confusing. 

The sensors are going into the tyre wall. This is a cost saving but also gives an interesting possibility. Your bike maker approves two tyres so they survive if a tyre mill burns down. If the TPMS only recognises these two brands the public is rescued from the terrible and life threatening prospect of tyres not approved by the vehicle builder. Prices in this duopoly may rise, but so will tax revenue. It is possible that everyone who matters is thus satisfied 😈

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

outrunner
18 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Mandatory for new cars now. Legislation for trucks was due in 2022 but the committees in the Over Empire have had distractions, so now due in 2025. It will come for bikes eventually. Indirect systems using ABS sensors were banned because you have to drive to find the flat. 

As with all such systems the manufacturers have been busy with free dinners, bottles of whisky, dancing girls/boys for members of said committees. Not you understand as a way to sell more, but as a public service to improve the well being and safety of their fellow citizens. The argument for bikes will be not that riders don't check, but that with every other vehicle having TPMS that using a gauge will be confusing. 

The sensors are going into the tyre wall. This is a cost saving but also gives an interesting possibility. Your bike maker approves two tyres so they survive if a tyre mill burns down. If the TPMS only recognises these two brands the public is rescued from the terrible and life threatening prospect of tyres not approved by the vehicle builder. Prices in this duopoly may rise, but so will tax revenue. It is possible that everyone who matters is thus satisfied 😈

Andy

There are times when I am really glad I am 73 years old and will never see the things you speak of.:oldfart:

Andy.

• Like 2

Gringo
7 hours ago, wjvh said:

Don't forget to adjust your wheel balances!

Would it really make much difference at road legal speeds? 

Chris750
1 hour ago, Gringo said:

Probably not, they quote the sensor and lock nut weight at 8 grams I weighed them at 7grams minus the weight of the metal valve caps, it's rare that you would need to balance that out per wheel, certainly didn't notice any vibration today, if I get some time to kill and the shop is free I might do a comparison.

The only reason I got the kit is because I like a gadget! So my pre ride checks will remain including tyre pressures every other ride regardless what the display says.

• Thanks 1

Andy m
7 hours ago, Gringo said:

We never bother on the bigger stuff. 

Andy

• Like 1

wjvh
12 hours ago, Gringo said:

I assume it would on basis that wheel weights come in increments of 5g, so your 7-8g of TPMS is like putting some balancing weights on the wheel. You could just use those balance bead things and let that deal with it. Do you have a wheel balancer? Would be interesting to see how a TPMS system affects it.

wjvh
11 hours ago, Chris750 said:

if I get some time to kill and the shop is free I might do a comparison.

I’d be interested to hear of any results 👍

Andy m
38 minutes ago, wjvh said:

I’d be interested to hear of any results 👍

33 PSI front, 36 PSI rear :D

Andy

• Haha 1

Gringo
54 minutes ago, wjvh said:

Do you have a wheel balancer? Would be interesting to see how a TPMS system affects it.

No and I probably wouldn't know how to use it correctly if I did :dielaugh: I'd be interested too in results if anyone gives it a try.