Chris750

Tyre Pressure Monitor.

Andy m

Maybe I've been lucky, I've only balanced one motorcycle wheel in my life. BMW R1100 that vibrated like it was on the spin cycle bang on 69 mph. It came back from the tyre place with a full strip of weights, so probably 30g. I wasn't into changing my own back then , so don't know what was wrong.

Doing my own I've thought about making up a spindle and spinning 10 times to see where they land, but never found one that bothered me. I am very careful where the dot goes which doesn't always seem to be the case with OE fit.

Andy

• Like 1

Gaucho
15 hours ago, Andy m said:

Indirect systems using ABS sensors were banned because you have to drive to find the flat.

Indirect systems Ok for passenger vehicles and light commercial vehicles.

• Thanks 1

Hickky

Well, I have a TPMS on my car that has cost me money. You see the sender is in the valve stem and an idiot fitter ripped out the stem when changing tyres. The fitting firm had the timerity to charge me for one new sensor (the idiot realised after the first and only bug**red up one of them. So I moaned and grizzled but they wouldn't budge so I asked them to get the manager. He turned up after about three mins and said 'Hi Paul, what seems to be the issue? I said 'Hi Dave, your fitter has wrecked my TPMS sender and you are attempting to charge me for his failings' He then asked me if I was playing on Wednesday (Golf), I told him yes, he wiped the charge and proceeded to go through my cars' system to make sure the new sender was recognised by the cars' internal computers and bluetooth. I bought him a pint on Wednesday, job done!

• Like 3

electric_monk
On 7/2/2020 at 18:52, outrunner said:

I imagine TPMS will be mandatory on all new vehicles in the not too distant future but I have never seen the need for motorcycles. How hard is it to check pressures before a ride? and if you can not tell if a tyre is going soft while riding then perhaps motorcycling is not for you. ;)

Andy.

As the great Meatloaf once sang... " You took the words right out of my mouth....." and we'll stop right there...

• Haha 1

chris

I've had the Michelin TPMS on my bike for a few months now.  I like it so far.  It activates as I wheel the bike out of the garage so I know immediately whether to check the pressure and top up the tyres.  So it probably cuts the number of checks by about for or five. Battery life is quoted as three months but I'm getting much longer,  don't know how much yet. 

No noticeable effect on wheel balance. Speed limits over here are nearly as low as the UK so I'm not exactly testing it to the limits but I like the idea of advance notice of any problems. Pressure reported rises as the tyres warm up of course and it's nice to be able to check at a glance that all's normal. 

• Like 2

Chris750

Done a few miles now with the Michelin TPMS, from a seat of the pants perspective no noticeable balance issues, difficult to get workshop time at the moment to check properly. So if you're a novice or a self proclaimed motorcycling God of fifty years I think it's a worthy gadget.

20200711-121452.jpg

• Thanks 2

Matatpub

I brought one for £10 must have been a mistake as they are back to full price 

Chris750

Update: haven't had to charge the display yet, I like the fact that just rolling the bike out the garage the display kicks in and gives an immediate pressure reading.

• Like 1