Scootabout

Critique this thought

Scootabout

Emboldened, perhaps, by other threads about changing bikes during these otherwise austere times, a thought has entered my head. 

The thought is to change the NC for two bikes. Specifically a Guzzi Norge and a Royal Enfield Himalayan. The "two bike solution", as it were. Horses for courses. 

I've been sort of hankering after a Guzzi V85TT for a while. Ditto a Himalayan. Ditto a Tracer 700 (new type, especially). The V85 is £11k new, and not many to be had 2nd hand at a reasonable price.  The Tracer is £8k and I'm guessing might depreciate fast.  I wouldn't - I assume, at any rate - be happy with a 25 bhp machine as my only bike. So, what to do?  (By the way, one of my sons is looking for an A2 compliant bike, which might provide the prefect excuse for changing the NC..) 

I've discovered there are a few older but clean Norges advertised for £3-4k. I could get a Himalayan for £4k new or a bit less 2nd hand. So for 7-8k I get two bikes for the price of one Tracer. I get horses for more courses. Arguably I get two more interesting bikes than one all-rounder. 

The main negatives I can think of are that I don't have a garage and would have to park one of them on the street and trying to justify this idea to the other half. 

What do the wise ones in this forum reckon?  

Ciaran1602
Posted (edited)

My sole criticism is how ruddy jealous Id be therefore you aren’t allowed to do it :angel:

Honestly though the only issue with running two bikes is costs. More insurance, more tax, more servicing costs - how much that cost is will be entirely subjective and you’ve got to be prepared for whatever it might be. Street parking is a risk but then you can come up with clever ways to mitigate that to some degree. 

For the bikes themselves, great choices. My fathers Himalayan is perhaps the most surprising bike I’ve ever ridden, so much so I intend to borrow it for a week soon so I can see if it’s something I can indulge in myself. Naturally it doesn’t have the long legs for comfortable cross continent travel at speed but it’ll still get there. 

Similarly the Norge is in the top 5 of my biggest ‘want one’ models. A full dress tourer with Transverse mounted vtwin character, all the goodies and substantially less cost than the equivalent Beamer etc? I seem to remember the Norge had a reputation for being a bit floaty boaty compared to others of its ilk but if you treat it with the respect it deserves it’ll be a great friend I’m sure. 

Edited by Ciaran1602
  • Like 4

MatBin
Posted (edited)

Go for it :)

Cost of one against two sounds ok, probably lower overall running costs as the use load is spread over 2 bikes instead of one. If your son can use one so much the better, especially if it's the Himalayan, as it's yours he's less likely to take risks, so that should help sway your other half, although it will always need filling up when you go to use it, which will up the running costs a little.

Edited by MatBin

Scootabout
4 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

My sole criticism is how ruddy jealous Id be therefore you aren’t allowed to do it :angel:

Honestly though the only issue with running two bikes is costs. More insurance, more tax, more servicing costs - how much that cost is will be entirely subjective and you’ve got to be prepared for whatever it might be. Street parking is a risk but then you can come up with clever ways to mitigate that to some degree. 

For the bikes themselves, great choices. My fathers Himalayan is perhaps the most surprising bike I’ve ever ridden, so much so I intend to borrow it for a week soon so I can see if it’s something I can indulge in myself. Naturally it doesn’t have the long legs for comfortable cross continent travel at speed but it’ll still get there. 

Similarly the Norge is in the top 5 of my biggest ‘want one’ models. A full dress tourer with Transverse mounted vtwin character, all the goodies and substantially less cost than the equivalent Beamer etc? I seem to remember the Norge had a reputation for being a bit floaty boaty compared to others of its ilk but if you treat it with the respect it deserves it’ll be a great friend I’m sure. 

You very much echo my own analysis there, Ciaran, except perhaps re costs, where I think MatBin makes a good point about some of the costs being spread across the two bikes. 

Correction to MatBin, though: the lad would be buying my NC. Or that's (my) plan. (He's looking for bike, thinking of a CB500, but I think he's considering an NC.)

MatBin
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

You very much echo my own analysis there, Ciaran, except perhaps re costs, where I think MatBin makes a good point about some of the costs being spread across the two bikes. 

Correction to MatBin, though: the lad would be buying my NC. Or that's (my) plan. (He's looking for bike, thinking of a CB500, but I think he's considering an NC.)

Even better, you don't get to fund his fuel consumption :)

You could tell the Mrs he "could" borrow the Himalayan if the NC isn't available e.g. needs a service, no loan bike etc any other old guff you can think of, although she will see through it.

Edited by MatBin
  • Haha 1

fj_stuart

Running multiple bikes makes sense for me. I ride all year round and use the bike for just about all my transport needs. I’ve got three on the road at present.

CBF250 – for winter use and general running about to the shops etc (and fording rivers)

SV650 & FJ1200 – for runs and touring. I favour the FJ for longer distances and the occasion pillion and the SV for the twisty stuff.

The advantage is that you have more horses for more courses (as you say) – at least one of my bikes works well for any given task. I do all my own maintenance & repairs so you can put one bike off the road to work on it and keep mobile. I’ve got a garage so storage is not an issue.

Cost is also not really an issue. All my bike cost about two grand each so less than one new bike. I’ve got a rider insurance policy and I doubt it’s much more expensive than a single bike policy. I tax the FJ for 6 months per year so that saves a little.

slowboy

I think it's a good call Simon. Running a couple of bikes, especially when you got them for the price of one bike, is barely more expensive than running one for everything. And like Ciaran said the Guzzi is a good choice if you accept they are "different". They definitely reward long term ownership. And the Himalayan is a much better bike than its 24hp would have many riders believe. That's all I had in Italy and the Himalayan is more relaxed and produces its power at much lower revs.

Good choices both on their own, together they'd be a good pairing.

larryblag

We looked at a Norge before purchasing the 1200 RT. Fear of unreliability was the reason we went for the latter. A mute point in the end as the RT proved to be too tall/heavy for me. A combination which meant I dropped it. But the quality issues have largely been sorted I believe and the Norge 1200 with the 4 valve head is better and the handling has been tightened up too. The one we saw in pearlescent white was gorgeous 😁

Ciaran1602

Ah, I raised costs only as last time I looked into it adding a second bike to my insurance made it triple regardless of what bike it was. I was 21 at the time though :angel:

I say go for it. You get two machines more purpose built for the tasks you seek to do with them and both are vastly more characterful than the NC. 

• Like 2

trisaki

Love my Himalayan  ' got a guzzi  griso for  sale ' in some ways a bit similar  as both have " character  "  in buckets  if you still like them after a month or so then you will become life time members of the clan '' on and off I have owned  6 guzzi' s  still on my first R E 

• Like 2

Steveg
Posted (edited)

Sounds like a great idea , never owned a moto guzzi and always fancied one , also the RE himalayan looks like a great bike to own but not as a only bike

V85 TT looks a beauty

https://3dmoto.co.uk/?VId=12&Make=Moto+Guzzi

cheers Steveg

Edited by Steveg

Tex

A Norge (pronounced ‘nor-gay’ by the way) will have bottomed out by now so won’t depreciate further during your ownership, so that’s a saving right there. No idea on the depreciation of a Himalayan, but it’s cheap to start with so doesn’t have far to fall..

I insured both the Bonnie and the (sore point) Burgman for, pretty much, the same as the Bonnie alone last year. 

Two lots of road tax is a sad reality unless you buy a classic Guzzi but that’s more money and probably more work. Easier just to suck it up. :) 

The only downside to your whole plan is stitching your boy up with an NC - but if your conscience allows you.. :D 

• Haha 4

suffolk58

I know beggars can't be choosers, but have you spoken to your son about the Himalayan?

I was out on my second bike yesterday and had a hoot of a day, at legal speeds and 84 MPG. :)

IMG_20200726_121005976_HDR.jpg

• Like 2

Tel
10 hours ago, Scootabout said:

Emboldened, perhaps, by other threads about changing bikes during these otherwise austere times, a thought has entered my head. 

The thought is to change the NC for two bikes. Specifically a Guzzi Norge and a Royal Enfield Himalayan. The "two bike solution", as it were. Horses for courses. 

I've been sort of hankering after a Guzzi V85TT for a while. Ditto a Himalayan. Ditto a Tracer 700 (new type, especially). The V85 is £11k new, and not many to be had 2nd hand at a reasonable price.  The Tracer is £8k and I'm guessing might depreciate fast.  I wouldn't - I assume, at any rate - be happy with a 25 bhp machine as my only bike. So, what to do?  (By the way, one of my sons is looking for an A2 compliant bike, which might provide the prefect excuse for changing the NC..) 

I've discovered there are a few older but clean Norges advertised for £3-4k. I could get a Himalayan for £4k new or a bit less 2nd hand. So for 7-8k I get two bikes for the price of one Tracer. I get horses for more courses. Arguably I get two more interesting bikes than one all-rounder. 

The main negatives I can think of are that I don't have a garage and would have to park one of them on the street and trying to justify this idea to the other half. 

What do the wise ones in this forum reckon?  

What about forgetting two bikes and combining them in a Guzzi Quota or Stelvio which could manage touring/comfort and light off-road?

The Stelvio is beautiful to me but challenging to others but a nice alternative to the hordes of BMW GSs...

Griff

Keep the NC and add a Himalayan. Simples !

I tried lifting a Stelvio off the sidestand once once  :blink:  

• Like 1

sandalfarm

I would  have sleepless  nights with a bike parked on the road 

• Like 1

crazyhorse

Is there a lamp post nearby?

baben
8 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

Is there a lamp post nearby?

What, you're gonna lynch bike thieves?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

cartejo5
7 minutes ago, baben said:

What, you're gonna lynch bike thieves?

Sounds like a good plan to me..........

• Like 1

Scootabout

Some absolutely spot on responses here. Consider them all 'liked'. I'm encouraged by the overall positivity (how could I have imagined anything less? :yes:). 

Since posting, I've had the slightly disconcerting realisation that the quoted weight I saw for the Norge of 246 kg is the dry weight, meaning it's rather heavier than I thought. OK, so it's lighter than a Pan, which I've owned, but then I'm 7 years older/punier than I was when I sold it and one of the reasons I sold it was because it was a heavy beast. 

Nevertheless, part of what this is about - apart from some sort of covid crisis - a bit like a mid-life crisis except not necessarily age-related - is doing something that is both experimental and not necessarily totally sensible. So even a sudden 40kg addition to the expected weight of bike two isn't necessarily an impediment. It might even be an add to the experience :D

The pondering will continue. 

Argyll

The Himalayan isn't the best bike in the world, but it almost feels like it is :)

Genuinely, the best fun that I've had after owning 60 bikes. It's a cross between a beefed up Van Van and a scaled down V Strom. Where it lacks in power, it makes up for in comfort, handling and feelgood factor. I use mine daily in the hilly backroads where too much power will get you into grief around the next tight bend (horses, tractors, cyclists, walkers). It eats up any road surface and still allows you to make progress. Not sure that I'd want to spend too much time on the motorway though - it's not that kind of motorcycle.

I've had some wonderful bikes but there's something about a 400cc single that ticks most of my boxes. However, that's just me so better get a test ride and see if it works for you.

Himalayan_new.jpg

• Like 8

trisaki
43 minutes ago, Argyll said:

The Himalayan isn't the best bike in the world, but it almost feels like it is :)

Genuinely, the best fun that I've had after owning 60 bikes. It's a cross between a beefed up Van Van and a scaled down V Strom. Where it lacks in power, it makes up for in comfort, handling and feelgood factor. I use mine daily in the hilly backroads where too much power will get you into grief around the next tight bend (horses, tractors, cyclists, walkers). It eats up any road surface and still allows you to make progress. Not sure that I'd want to spend too much time on the motorway though - it's not that kind of motorcycle.

I've had some wonderful bikes but there's something about a 400cc single that ticks most of my boxes. However, that's just me so better get a test ride and see if it works for you.

Himalayan_new.jpg

Absolutely spot on ' yes it has a few faults but you soon just end up enjoying being out on your bike  very much a get on and do it type of bike  more or less go anywhere ' mine at the moment  is loaded up to go camping  ' you name it I've got it 🤣

Foxy

You pose two questions here Simon, the first is the pro's and con's of running multiple bikes, which is something I have been lucky enough to enjoy doing since I was about 20 years of age. 

What bikes to have is a very personal decision, not many would agree with my collection, most of which have been bought on a bit of a whim rather than looking at the practicalities.

So advice on which bike I will leave to others, but if you can afford it I would really recommend going ahead, it's great making daily decisions on what bike to ride and once you get used to them both its so enjoyable comparing and appreciating the differences.

I never get tired of this and it makes any additional costs all worth while. Regarding outside parking, can you fit a bike barn anywhere? I have one at the caravan and it's very useful.

• Like 1

larryblag
On 27/07/2020 at 09:04, Steveg said:

Sounds like a great idea , never owned a moto guzzi and always fancied one , also the RE himalayan looks like a great bike to own but not as a only bike

V85 TT looks a beauty

https://3dmoto.co.uk/?VId=12&Make=Moto+Guzzi

cheers Steveg

Yes they had one of those in Arnold's today (red/white).

Kelly remarked that the front "beak" turns with the bars yet the lights stay facing front. Nice looking bike though for £10.5k

Scootabout
23 hours ago, Foxy said:

Regarding outside parking, can you fit a bike barn anywhere? I have one at the caravan and it's very useful.

Well, I live in Battersea, so that might be a challenge!

• Haha 1