Move to Doncaster then you could buy lots of bikes and a house and garage

Scootabout
2 minutes ago, sandalfarm said:

Move to Doncaster then you could buy lots of bikes and a house and garage

True, but...Doncaster :D

• Haha 1

Trev

Why stop at two bikes, get a long security chain and have half a dozen :D

Trying to be serious now, I would start off by getting a Himalayan and adding the usual 'performance' mods (yes they do make a noticeable difference)  + front pads, hoon that about for a couple of months and then decide whether you want/need to add a second bike and, if so, what. I don't own a Himmy (yet, there is one in my future for sure) but have tried several and, as a few on here have said, they are way more capable than they should be. Absolutely not the bike if you want to troll up and down motorways or spend most of your time at 70mph+ or over take anything doing more than 60mph but otherwise they make a pretty decent stab at almost anything and are the type of bike that look better with a few dents and a bit of dirt and highly undesirable to most scroats.

• Like 2

Mr Toad
Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2020 at 07:13, Argyll said:

The Himalayan isn't the best bike in the world, but it almost feels like it is :)

Genuinely, the best fun that I've had after owning 60 bikes. It's a cross between a beefed up Van Van and a scaled down V Strom. Where it lacks in power, it makes up for in comfort, handling and feelgood factor. I use mine daily in the hilly backroads where too much power will get you into grief around the next tight bend (horses, tractors, cyclists, walkers). It eats up any road surface and still allows you to make progress. Not sure that I'd want to spend too much time on the motorway though - it's not that kind of motorcycle.

I've had some wonderful bikes but there's something about a 400cc single that ticks most of my boxes. However, that's just me so better get a test ride and see if it works for you.

Himalayan_new.jpg

I definitely see one of these in my garage and I've yet to meet anyone who says they're the perfect bike but they all say they are close enough. 

Given that there are only two reasons to ever take a bike on the motorway, commuting or there's no real alternative, I can't see a downside to owning one especially as they are so well priced. 

To get back to Simon's question............I think it's a fantastic idea, owning two myself I suppose I would. That aside it does make sense and Slowboy's recent purchase shows that you can get a fantastic bike for a reasonable amount of money. I use the Bonneville for Peak District and country lane riding and the GS for the longer rides. It's very nice to have a choice of what to ride and it needn't cost the earth. 

I'm currently thinking that as much as I love the Bonny I might sell it an buy the New Hunter Cub, if it ever gets here, for the local country lanes. I'm only considering selling the Triumph because adding a third bike would mean one of them would have to live in the workshop that's halfway down the garden and that would mean you can't just hop on and ride so it probably wouldn't get used that much. 

Edited by Mr Toad
  • Like 3

Argyll

Now, if you follow the two bike rule you end up with a Himalayan one of these!

IMG-20200729-201508281-HDR.jpg

• Like 9

MatBin

That's a nice looking bike, Mrs would like the seat too, she doesn't like the high rise seat that is so common these days.

Edited by MatBin

stordz
On 30/07/2020 at 10:17, Argyll said:

Now, if you follow the two bike rule you end up with a Himalayan one of these!

IMG-20200729-201508281-HDR.jpg

Hmm...... that looks very nice, nice colour scheme....... they seem to get good reviews and sell by the bucket load from what I hear.

lipsee

I run a RE him and a BMW R1200rt...   the costs ain,t too bad,, I have a six wheel insurance policy with one extra bike,,,(so 8wheel)   This is the first year I,v had both bikes on the road at the same time,,and honestly I never get time to ride either of them....Cor I fancy a Norge though... if you get one gis a go  !!!!!!

• Like 1

Scootabout
23 hours ago, lipsee said:

I run a RE him and a BMW R1200rt...   the costs ain,t too bad,, I have a six wheel insurance policy with one extra bike,,,(so 8wheel)   This is the first year I,v had both bikes on the road at the same time,,and honestly I never get time to ride either of them....Cor I fancy a Norge though... if you get one gis a go  !!!!!!

How does this six/eight wheel policy work? Who's it with, if I may ask?

lipsee
29 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

How does this six/eight wheel policy work? Who's it with, if I may ask?

Carole Nash,,,,   I think it cost about £400  all are fully comp....    Iv never claimed so have no idea how good CN really is....Give them a ring and get a quto

• Like 1