RC166

It’s gotta go!

RC166

Not the bike, just the seat! 

I’ve stuck with it for a year, at times it’s seemed ok, other times it’s just plain uncomfortable, and today I’ve decided it’s time for action!

I’ve taken it apart and put high density foam between the seat pan and foam, that flattened it out a fair bit and did improve things slightly. However, that probably made it a bit harder. Today, I put a sheepskin cover on, went for an hour’s ride, but it didn’t seem to help much.

I’ve thought about my options, and I think Mr Shad will be getting an order soon. I can see Shad seats also slope a bit, but from most people’s comments it’s got to be a huge improvement, and if necessary, I’m willing to stick a bit of foam to the seat pan towards the front to flatten it out.

wjvh

Try Saddlecraft in South Shields (Tyneside): they did my main seat only for £110. It’s a definite improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bazza
1 hour ago, RC166 said:

Not the bike, just the seat! 

I’ve stuck with it for a year, at times it’s seemed ok, other times it’s just plain uncomfortable, and today I’ve decided it’s time for action!

I’ve taken it apart and put high density foam between the seat pan and foam, that flattened it out a fair bit and did improve things slightly. However, that probably made it a bit harder. Today, I put a sheepskin cover on, went for an hour’s ride, but it didn’t seem to help much.

I’ve thought about my options, and I think Mr Shad will be getting an order soon. I can see Shad seats also slope a bit, but from most people’s comments it’s got to be a huge improvement, and if necessary, I’m willing to stick a bit of foam to the seat pan towards the front to flatten it out.

The shad seat I find quite comfy but have plenty of padding of my own anyway.The seat does move you forward which could cause tackle / seat communication.I would agree with Will that if there's a seat firm near you then give them a try.If it's not quite right they are bound to offer to make changes- especially when the weather reduces demand.Shad seats are made in France and the € is strong at present so not many deals about.

I changed my complete suspension as the crappy front forks (maybe better on later models) made bottoming out even more uncomfortable on a standard seat.

• Like 1

Mr Toad
17 hours ago, bazza said:

The shad seat I find quite comfy but have plenty of padding of my own anyway.The seat does move you forward which could cause tackle / seat communication.I would agree with Will that if there's a seat firm near you then give them a try.If it's not quite right they are bound to offer to make changes- especially when the weather reduces demand.Shad seats are made in France and the € is strong at present so not many deals about.

I changed my complete suspension as the crappy front forks (maybe better on later models) made bottoming out even more uncomfortable on a standard seat.

A simple fix Bazza. I made a small bracket from aluminium that raised the front of the seat slightly and added a couple of rubber stops. It works perfectly and costs under a fiver.

• Like 1

RC166

Thanks Mr T, I have tried the seat in that position, but for me leaves an unsightly gap which I don’t really want. Works well for others though, and a very cheap solution.

MatBin

There's an outfit in Kent, Viking who I think I will give a try at regarding the seat.

• Like 1

RC166

Thanks for replies. Reckon the Shad is gonna b worth a shot, and the pillion perch will also prob be improved. Then I’ll always have the originals just in case, or I could sell them (prob very cheaply, as let’s face it, there will be very little demand!)

Wayne Mohr

I slide forward on the Shad... 

... so what is better folks? 

slowboy
9 hours ago, Wayne Mohr said:

I slide forward on the Shad... 

... so what is better folks? 

In terms of comfort, my Sargent seat was not better, but it had a better shape for me. That might be worth a look, other than that either get a local Upholsterer to reshape the seat or grip the “tank” with your knees when braking (good technique) and save a load of cash.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Argyll

For £30 I'd try one of those inflatable cushions. I have one on my Forza for long trips and it's even better than my previous Airhawk. Only takes a small amount of air to give a comfortable ride. Too much and it wobbles like a jelly and doesn't work! Got mine on Amazon and highly recommended.

IMG-20200802-132511653.jpg

• Like 2

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Argyll said:

For £30 I'd try one of those inflatable cushions. I have one on my Forza for long trips and it's even better than my previous Airhawk. Only takes a small amount of air to give a comfortable ride. Too much and it wobbles like a jelly and doesn't work! Got mine on Amazon and highly recommended.

IMG-20200802-132511653.jpg

Plus 1

I have an Airhawk that I bought for the NC and now  use on the Bonny. 

Haggard Rider

For me, the SHAD, for sure, was a definite improvement, but it's not what you'd call armchair comfortable.

I no longer get my own version of the "grapes of wrath" after an hour, and have recently done a 3 hourish stint with the only breaks being to put my waterproofs on after 20mins then take them off about 15mins after that, with no butt discomfort. I do shimmy around a bit though, but I do that on every seat, armchair or not.

Had an Airhawk for the CB1100, didn't get on with it.

But, as with all things bike, YMMV

davebike

I used Viking (Ash nr Brands Hatch ) for must be 30 years  Lee makes a good job ! He may be doing my seat or I may go shad as I have an account with a wholesaler :-)

Sort of looking for a spare riders seat so I can play my current is cut down 20+mm (short previous owner)  I have an Airhawk but it was not good on the cut-down seat was Great on Fazer and on my Grom

poldark

For me a major issue is the seat tilt, so like many I've modified the front mechanism to lift it, just used a few washers and made a big difference.

For comfort after a riding buddy recommended it I splashed out £12 for one of these Turkish taxi driver mods.

510-Ndf-Va-UML-AC-SY400.jpg