Filters

Delboy777

Delboy777

Hi peeps, how often are you supposed to change the transmission filter. With every engine oil change ? Havent got the bike yet so no manual. Tried a search on google but nowt came up TIA Del

listener

The owners' manual has it that the clutch filter needs replacing at the same time as the main oil filter; 600 miles then every 16000.

Of course, I've got the mechanical nous of Clyde the orang-utan.

I'm sure one of the competent spanner monkeys (like Andy M) will along soon to put you right. :thumbsup:   

outrunner

That is something I could not get my head around, why not change it every oil change? Who likes to put fresh oil through a dirty filter, after all it only costs about £8 so I change them both at the oil change intervals.

Andy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Rocker66
24 minutes ago, outrunner said:

That is something I could not get my head around, why not change it every oil change? Who likes to put fresh oil through a dirty filter, after all it only costs about £8 so I change them both at the oil change intervals.

Andy.

100% agree

• Like 1
Mr Toad

Even if it isn't necessary at every oil change, I agree it would be silly not to.

Andy m

How much hassle is the smaller DCT one? Spin-on's or toilet tube ones that just pop off, totalling agree with the collective , change with the oil. 

The only reason I'd follow Honda advice was if you had to risk disturbing something vital. Guzzi's where the sump had to come off or Rotax where the exhaust has to come off springs to mind. I doubt this falls into that category. 

Andy

Griff

Tbh in my situation I would not be inclined to change filters every oil change, especially when I change every 5/6000kms. So as such perhaps the advice above should be considered in conjunction with the oil change intervals that we each employ.   

listener
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

How much hassle is the smaller DCT one?

You have to remove the 'bash plate' to properly access both filters.

The clutch filter is not too hard to get at - 

• Like 1