16k service prices

Steveg

Steveg

Hello

Not far away from 16k service on my 2019 nc750x so started ringing round for prices

Local Honda dealer Sutton motorcycle Bromsgrove quoted £375 , I asked about price for a honda crossrunner valve service as still looking for one and was told same price £375 , I did say that there is a lot more hours labour needed on the crossrunner but chap said they charge the same for all bikes for valve service ?????

Rang Sutton Tamworth ( owned by same people)  they quoted £299 for the nc 16k service and £465 for the crossrunner which kind of made more sense to me

Is £299 a fair price for a 16k nc750x service ? just wondering what people were paying ?

Cheers Steve

riders in the storm

Can't help with the service prices, but sixteen thousand miles in the year is a fair achievement !

Steveg
22 minutes ago, riders in the storm said:

Can't help with the service prices, but sixteen thousand miles in the year is a fair achievement !

sadly mostly on the m5 to work @ back

cheers Steve

• Like 1
trisaki

Bet they won't do a lot for that price  

Blimey, I’m glad I do my own. I’m probably out of touch with servicing prices, so they may be fair?

I’m sure a few more people will chip in with their views and experiences.

Gringo

Not had a dealer service in years but was thinking of getting one done on my DCT. It'll be three years old and 'MoT able' in October. I intend to do my own servicing but there may be things on the DCT that I'll never understand :wacko:.

Having said that, before I decided to end my affair with the BMW R1100RT I wanted it to have a major service before selling. I was quoted £350 by Pidcocks in Long Eaton about 12 months ago so, I suppose, what you have been quoted above seems about right.

Trev

Just had the 900 mile (yup weird I know) first service done on the Moto Guzzi V9 I bought in June, which included valve check & Adjustment, engine oil & filter + gearbox oil, and that came to a very reasonable (or so I thought) £208 at local Guzzi dealer. Granted valve checking is pretty straight forward on almost every Guzzi but I still didn't think that was bad. Next service is 10k KM or one year and should be same price as brake fluid or transmission oil won't need changing. The service mechanic said that most need adjusting on first service (I don't know, never had a nearly brand new Guzzi, or any other bike for that matter) and then rarely move unless thrashed, which won't be easy on a V9 Bobber :devil:

• Like 3
PoppetM

I was on a service plan and ticked off all three services in one year of ownership on the Forza, the cost of servicing was the same as the NC, the only difference was I didn’t need new chain and sprockets every 8,000 so that sounds about right for a 16,000 mile service. 

davebike

Well I done all my own servicing for years but I was Suzuki trained and have worked on bikes Professionally for Eak 44 years!

Many bigger places and for that mater smaller ones say they do thing and do not  me I hones about it  for instance " no I will not be doing valve clearance no need at this time"  other Yes we will do the clearances add 2 hours don't do clearances as they don't need doing !  Plugs changed fro no reason except to keep the bill up! I am assamed for my trade

Add a question I run basic maintenance days fro a couple of groups  when this CV19 is over would there be any interest in a NC based one it would be at my workshop SE20 8JY ??  If so I work up a list to cover  But it must be once restrictions are lifted !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Andy m
11 hours ago, Gringo said:

I wanted it to have a major service before selling. 

Debatable if selling privately definitely not worth it if trading in IMHO. Dealers seem to invent service history for anything they sell, so while they'll use it to bargain it won't change their final position. The private market is effected by the dealers peeing in this particular paddling pool. I would service any bike I bought regardless of what the PO said. You find joys like the 1972 date on the air filters of my "set up to ride" CL350. I say debatable because the market for R1100RT's is going to be pretty specific and maybe they will discuss and trust. 

10 hours ago, Trev said:

. The service mechanic said that most need adjusting on first service (I don't know, never had a nearly brand new Guzzi, or any other bike for that matter) and then rarely move unless thrashed, which won't be easy on a V9 Bobber :devil:

I had one to adjust on every service of the V7. They were never out but moving that way and changing . I suspect someone on the clock might have left them alone. It was never the same one twice suggesting once they settle they'll stay put. For how long though? The check is too simple to skip IMHO. 

Andy

• Like 1
Mr Toad
20 hours ago, Steveg said:

Hello

Not far away from 16k service on my 2019 nc750x so started ringing round for prices

Local Honda dealer Sutton motorcycle Bromsgrove quoted £375 , I asked about price for a honda crossrunner valve service as still looking for one and was told same price £375 , I did say that there is a lot more hours labour needed on the crossrunner but chap said they charge the same for all bikes for valve service ?????

Rang Sutton Tamworth ( owned by same people)  they quoted £299 for the nc 16k service and £465 for the crossrunner which kind of made more sense to me

Is £299 a fair price for a 16k nc750x service ? just wondering what people were paying ?

Cheers Steve

Have you got a small independent bike mechanic near you that you can try?

I have one near me that looks nothing from outside, it is in the middle of a row of terraced houses and used to be a small general store at some point. I used him for years when I had my BMW R1100RS to replace the tyres, I was doing about 60,000 miles a year at that time so time between tyres was short. He used to keep a pair in stock for me and would swap them on demand. He was a very good mechanic and very reasonable. 

I do my own spannering but I still go to him when I need tyres and if I ever have a problem I feel I can't tackle he'll be the one to do the work.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Trev said:

Just had the 900 mile (yup weird I know) first service done on the Moto Guzzi V9 I bought in June, which included valve check & Adjustment, engine oil & filter + gearbox oil, and that came to a very reasonable (or so I thought) £208 at local Guzzi dealer. Granted valve checking is pretty straight forward on almost every Guzzi but I still didn't think that was bad. Next service is 10k KM or one year and should be same price as brake fluid or transmission oil won't need changing. The service mechanic said that most need adjusting on first service (I don't know, never had a nearly brand new Guzzi, or any other bike for that matter) and then rarely move unless thrashed, which won't be easy on a V9 Bobber :devil:

Sounds very reasonable, for some reason I would expected it to be higher given it's a MG.

Om a separate note how are you getting on with the V9?

Trev
2 hours ago, Andy m said:

I had one to adjust on every service of the V7. They were never out but moving that way and changing . I suspect someone on the clock might have left them alone. It was never the same one twice suggesting once they settle they'll stay put. For how long though? The check is too simple to skip IMHO. 

I had the same on my V7, one so close I didn't bother to adjust, the other a little more out but not much. The Griso needed a small adjustment on one side after just over 8k miles but this was over 3 years and did include a couple of IAM track sessions which probably saw more 'high rev' use than the rest of it's miles put together. Be interesting to see what the V9 is like as it as 'new' engine for Moto Guzzi, I suspect very much the same :thumbsup:

• Like 1
Trev
44 minutes ago, stordz said:

Sounds very reasonable, for some reason I would expected it to be higher given it's a MG.

Om a separate note how are you getting on with the V9?

Yes I thought quite reasonable as well. I used them as they're only half hour from me (in middle of lovely countryside so great ride there) and  have been supporting MG for longer than I've been riding and, in my experience, know their stuff and do a decent job.

Enjoying it so far thanks;  it's easy to ride, enough of everything (brakes very good for what is is), ABS and ASR don't intrude and it looks nice (IMO). Longest continuous ride so far has been just over a couple of hours (which is about limit of fuel range before light comes one) and it was very comfortable for that. I find solo A road cruising speed 60 - 70 is just right with a little (not a lot) in reserve, it's doing about 57/58 mpg ridden like that. Two up it's more like 55-65 mph and gentler throttle use gives 65mpg+ which is nice.

The exhaust sound is very un-Guzzi like but I'm reluctant to swap the silencers without hearing (live, not online) the ones I want to swap to as I don't want it too loud just a bit noisier than the chuffy fart noise it makes now. I also need to add a pillion back rest as my backside still takes up too much room to make the pillion comfortably roomy enough for Mrs Smith. I want one that's easily removable though so will probably need to get one made up. 

Loading it into the van to use in Cornwall next week, that's usually Enfield duty so will be interesting to see how it compares.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Trev said:

Yes I thought quite reasonable as well. I used them as they're only half hour from me (in middle of lovely countryside so great ride there) and  have been supporting MG for longer than I've been riding and, in my experience, know their stuff and do a decent job.

Enjoying it so far thanks;  it's easy to ride, enough of everything (brakes very good for what is is), ABS and ASR don't intrude and it looks nice (IMO). Longest continuous ride so far has been just over a couple of hours (which is about limit of fuel range before light comes one) and it was very comfortable for that. I find solo A road cruising speed 60 - 70 is just right with a little (not a lot) in reserve, it's doing about 57/58 mpg ridden like that. Two up it's more like 55-65 mph and gentler throttle use gives 65mpg+ which is nice.

The exhaust sound is very un-Guzzi like but I'm reluctant to swap the silencers without hearing (live, not online) the ones I want to swap to as I don't want it too loud just a bit noisier than the chuffy fart noise it makes now. I also need to add a pillion back rest as my backside still takes up too much room to make the pillion comfortably roomy enough for Mrs Smith. I want one that's easily removable though so will probably need to get one made up. 

Loading it into the van to use in Cornwall next week, that's usually Enfield duty so will be interesting to see how it compares.

Thanks, appreciate the update, for some reason MG ownership is an itch that needs to be scratched, may need to do it so I can say 'been here, done that' :ahappy: 

Trev
8 hours ago, stordz said:

Thanks, appreciate the update, for some reason MG ownership is an itch that needs to be scratched, may need to do it so I can say 'been here, done that' :ahappy: 

Just be careful it doesn't turn into a rash :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Trev said:

Just be careful it doesn't turn into a rash :D

I know..... :blink: need to sort out a test ride before making a decision, but getting that sorted is proving challenging, another bike in the running is a Triumph Street Twin but I'm not a fan of the local dealer.....

Gringo
11 hours ago, Andy m said:

Debatable if selling privately definitely not worth it if trading in IMHO.

Andy

Quite right Andy. It was the fact that it hadn't been done, shall we say, professionally, for quite a while. Just wanted that reassurance if you like. Anyway, I never bothered in the end so saved a few quid lol. 

• Like 1
trisaki

Worse vehicles I have ever owned were "full service  history  " ' latest tiger I have came to me after it had its 2 yearly service  at 8000 miles ' the dealer hadn't noticed the  inner front brake pads were nearly down to metal (as calipers were slightly seized  due to never being looked at ) and steering head bearings  so notchy that they were the worse that I had ever seen '  ' both had been ticked  on the triumph dealer check list ' this was a day after it had been there 

• Like 1
  • Sigh 1
  • Sad 2
On 05/08/2020 at 08:04, davebike said:

Well I done all my own servicing for years but I was Suzuki trained and have worked on bikes Professionally for Eak 44 years!

Many bigger places and for that mater smaller ones say they do thing and do not  me I hones about it  for instance " no I will not be doing valve clearance no need at this time"  other Yes we will do the clearances add 2 hours don't do clearances as they don't need doing !  Plugs changed fro no reason except to keep the bill up! I am assamed for my trade

Add a question I run basic maintenance days fro a couple of groups  when this CV19 is over would there be any interest in a NC based one it would be at my workshop SE20 8JY ??  If so I work up a list to cover  But it must be once restrictions are lifted !

Hi Davebike

I would be interested in attending one of your courses.

Cheers

Marc

• Like 1
MatBin
On 05/08/2020 at 08:04, davebike said:

I'll add my name too please, depends on cv19 and price obviously.

Great idea, thanks.

Edited by MatBin
Mr Toad
On 8/5/2020 at 08:04, davebike said:

What a great idea Dave. 

I know getting down and oily isn't for everyone for a whole variety of reasons but for some it's a case of I would if I could and knew what I was doing.

Mark8arker

On 04/08/2020 at 12:44, Steveg said:

Hello

Cheers Steve

Paid £460. This included spark plugs and air filter changed at my request. Had the bike dealer serviced from new. Because it was on PCP finance thought it best  have done by a dealer. Have 1+final payments to go. Have decided to keep the NC. Brake pads + basic service done by me now. Got services manual for NC now.  Made that many changes it would  be hard to hand back to the dealer lol. Heated grips, 12v acc & hand guards ( Honda), engine guards & rack ( Givi ), Tomtom wired in, Front rear suspension ( yss) and finally integra swing arm with hugger. Hit 19k mark this week.  First MOT this coming  Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

I’d be interested to know how the £460 is broken down to individual parts and labour rates. This has confirmed I’m really out of touch with dealer servicing rates.

I’m very happy that I’m able to do most servicing and basic repairs on my vehicles, but always willing to learn more so I’m also interested in Daves idea.

Steve

• Like 1
davebike

Looks like a few are interested  I work up a day but I need to think re cv19 as my workspace is small!

• Thanks 1