pjm

Grandkids overrule car choice !!

pjm

So the Kia Soul EV is due to arrive any day to replace the Skoda Octavia that reached the end of its term and went to the brother in-laws at below trade to give him a leg up after having been made redundant and going out on his own. Expert alarm engineer if anyone needs one. That is set in stone and not open for negotiation. The Q2 is going as well and the original plan was that the new Jazz Hybrid would replace it. Great little car with every conceivable safety gadget and amazing fuel economy. There was one hiccup in that the grandkids hated it. It's all about the label and Audi v Jazz was just not a cool choice. By chance the dealer had a nice new Civic SR that looked so much nicer than the Jazz and that got their deal of approval. So Chris chose the Civic over the Jazz. We have had a Civic before and the latest version is a pleasant enough car with a nice spec. Strangely enough with the deal on the table it was only about £20 more a month than the Jazz and obviously a lot more car for the money. I just know sometimes when to make the right decision for a quieter life. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ciaran1602

The Civics have the 1.0 or 1.5 turbo motors right? While I'm sure the Jazz Hybrid would be the more parsimonious choice, I have no doubt in my mind the zip of a turbocharged engine will be much more pleasant to live with in the real world.

pjm

1.0 CVT. Not sped sporty but pleasant enough I am sure. is certainly  looks prettier than the Jazz.

PoppetM

Can assure you the 2.0 version is an absolute hoot to drive, but sadly rather costly in it’s drinking problem and it’s tax. But it is still mint and been with us 12 years and only done 13,000 miles. I think it’s replacement will be the John Cooper Works Mini...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

alhendo1
7 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Can assure you the 2.0 version is an absolute hoot to drive, but sadly rather costly in it’s drinking problem and it’s tax. But it is still mint and been with us 12 years and only done 13,000 miles. I think it’s replacement will be the John Cooper Works Mini...

I seem to remember from a previous post it's a cracking colour as well... quite rare.... If that was my Civic it'd be a keeper... Good ones are very hard to find especially with low mileage👍👍

• Thanks 1

Ciaran1602

Sounds great to me Peter, congrats!

PoppetM
3 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

I seem to remember from a previous post it's a cracking colour as well... quite rare.... If that was my Civic it'd be a keeper... Good ones are very hard to find especially with low mileage👍👍

I think he has had his head turned. To be fair he changed cars every other year before he moved in with me and his priorities had to change.
I am with you, for the joy it brings both of us to drive and how good it looks, why get rid. Yes the tax at £500 smarts, but so will paying for another car. I try to ignore him in the hope he gives up about it, he mooted the other day he wanted to leave his job, in which case he won’t be throwing £25k at the mini 🤣

• Like 1

Hickky

Civics are produced by a company that makes more 4 stroke engines than anyone in the world. The old type R engine was remarkable, well over 200hp without forced induction and a two year warranty. Lasted 200,000 miles regularly in the USA. Not so sure about small turbo petrol engines for longevity though. Power of a 2 litre with the bottom end of a one litre, but emission regs make forced induction the only way forward so clean synthetic oil is a priority.

I used to have a 'Dan Dare' 1800 Civic type EX and it was a great car apart from the automated manual gearbox. Much better than the one fitted to my current DS4, but CVT is not as good. I hired a Mitsubishi with one when last in the states, it wasn't good or frugal. The latest versions of the old torque converter box with modern electronics are the best if you find a manual car difficult.

pjm

I only keep the cars for 3 years at the most so longevity is not really an issue. I would say that the 1000cc in the Octavia was quite amazing and you would never know it was so small. No issues at all in 3 years. Nowadays I would never even think about going back to a manual car. Why would you??

i would have preferred DSG over CVT but the way I drive is not a race so it won’t be an issue. It’s coming in a lovely metallic blue.

Mr Toad

When I was looking back in January I went to Honda to have a look and saw a nice looking Civic. Of course it was the Type R GT and I had a test drive, it was fantastic but unfortunately they don't have the option of an auto or dual clutch gearbox which was disappointing and means it was crossed off the list.

Rev Ken
13 hours ago, PoppetM said:

I think he has had his head turned. To be fair he changed cars every other year before he moved in with me and his priorities had to change.
I am with you, for the joy it brings both of us to drive and how good it looks, why get rid. Yes the tax at £500 smarts, but so will paying for another car. I try to ignore him in the hope he gives up about it, he mooted the other day he wanted to leave his job, in which case he won’t be throwing £25k at the mini 🤣

Ah, that is where my ancient 3.2S Porsche Boxster score as it is a 2003 version so the road tax is half of yours. If it was a year younger I would be paying a much higher road tax!

• Like 2

bazza
17 hours ago, pjm said:

So the Kia Soul EV is due to arrive any day to replace the Skoda Octavia that reached the end of its term and went to the brother in-laws at below trade to give him a leg up after having been made redundant and going out on his own. Expert alarm engineer if anyone needs one. That is set in stone and not open for negotiation. The Q2 is going as well and the original plan was that the new Jazz Hybrid would replace it. Great little car with every conceivable safety gadget and amazing fuel economy. There was one hiccup in that the grandkids hated it. It's all about the label and Audi v Jazz was just not a cool choice. By chance the dealer had a nice new Civic SR that looked so much nicer than the Jazz and that got their deal of approval. So Chris chose the Civic over the Jazz. We have had a Civic before and the latest version is a pleasant enough car with a nice spec. Strangely enough with the deal on the table it was only about £20 more a month than the Jazz and obviously a lot more car for the money. I just know sometimes when to make the right decision for a quieter life. 

much as I love my kids letting them chose a vehicle on if its "cool" or not is the sign of an over indulgent grandad. i suppose you let them decide if they should go to school or not,when bedtime is and if they want to eat their greens or just live on Nutella sandwiches?

Time to man up!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

pjm

It’s not a case of manning up. I’m not that fussed either way and it’s no hardship to keep them happy in these difficult times. As to going to school or discipline issues they know that the rules are very simple. Toe the line, behave and do your best and they get looked after. I actually enjoy indulging them. As a kid i had very little and I never had the right shoes, jeans etc etc. Kids can be extremely cruel. I just make sure they get what they need and occasionally what they want. I also think Chris secretly thought the Civic was better for her. So challenge the status quo or go with the flow?  I tend to take the path to keep people smiling. If I need to put my foot down or they err from the rules they know the consequences. It’s a case of picking the right time and right things to get on my high horse over. The type of car we have is not going to be the end of the world. The Civic is a great car so why stress? If it had been something I didn’t like it would not have happened. 

• Like 2

pjm

Actually I would love to see them go to school and in that case it’s the teachers that need to ‘man up’

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mr Toad
2 hours ago, bazza said:

much as I love my kids letting them chose a vehicle on if its "cool" or not is the sign of an over indulgent grandad. i suppose you let them decide if they should go to school or not,when bedtime is and if they want to eat their greens or just live on Nutella sandwiches?

Time to man up!

I agree, I've always been a bit of a petrol head and so are my son and daughter. It therefore came as a bit of a shock to find out that the Orange Fiat Qubo I bought to drive Mum round in once she'd given up driving was considered very cool by both of them!! :no:

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 1

Rev Ken
4 hours ago, pjm said:

I only keep the cars for 3 years at the most so longevity is not really an issue. I would say that the 1000cc in the Octavia was quite amazing and you would never know it was so small. No issues at all in 3 years. Nowadays I would never even think about going back to a manual car. Why would you??

i would have preferred DSG over CVT but the way I drive is not a race so it won’t be an issue. It’s coming in a lovely metallic blue.

Our Golf has a DSG gearbox and at last it is one that works! (We've had several before, but they all had their quirks, some of which were dangerous.) I wasn't a fan of automatics gearboxes back to the early versions 40 years ago with energy sapping fluid flywheels, but SWMBO has an automatic only licence.  We have also had several CVT cars, the first three being a Daffodil (honest!), a Daf 44 and a Daf 55. Great fun, especially when my son and I changed the belts on our '55 as one broke in Edinburgh and I drove it all the way to Teddington outside London - slow and an 'interesting' drive with the car swerving from side to side. Of course we didn't have any special tools and managed to separate the two pulleys using garden spades to change the belts - one spade never recovered. The small Daffodil had one belt and a very simple transmission. Backwards, forwards or neutral. Driving it backwards was fun so long as it didn't flip over as it could go the same speed as when going forwards - not fast, but fun. With a small twin aircooled engine it was pretty slow and Minis used to push me when going around the country lanes around Lulworth. So I got maximum acceleration around bends by approaching them with my foot flat to the floor while applying the foot brake forcing the transmission to drop into a low gear with the engine still revving to its limit. Then I just let go the brake and it would accelerate just as fast as it could. It was good enough to shake off most Minis until the next straight. However when living here in the Lake District we got a Nissan Primera with CVT and I hated it as with numerous hills it needed constant attention to the speedo as there is no connection between engine revs and speed. 

But I do enjoy heel and toe double declutching  when driving my old Porsche as I enter a corner. There is some satisfaction in doing it well rather than just sitting there and pressing the throttle or brake on our DSG Golf.

PoppetM
2 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

I agree, I've always been a bit of a petrol head and so are my son and daughter. It therefore came as a bit of a shock to find out that the Orange Fiat Qubo I bought to drive Mum round in once she'd given up driving was considered very cool by both of them!! :no:

Get out of here?!

I was sent as chaperone to one of Dad’s car buying missions. Bad error on Mam’s part. We traded the Mondeo for a Ford Cougar (2.5l coupe). Don’t think she ever forgave me. After 6 months he decided to get rid in case he lost his licence he bought a Ford Focus 2.0 Gia which I later bought off him. We laughed at the number plate V998 HNK.   Very Happy Now Keith.... because he was anything but! 
Was a great car for me when I bought it, but all the ECU went nuts and it started to get costly with “ghost codes”. 

Hickky
2 hours ago, PoppetM said:

We traded the Mondeo for a Ford Cougar (2.5l coupe). Don’t think she ever forgave me. After 6 months he decided to get rid in case he lost his licence he bought a Ford Focus 2.0 Gia which I later bought off him.

The cougar was a good car, based on the Mondeo platform. It handled fairly well and looked sharp. The Focus on the other hand was the right car but the wrong engine. The 2.0l was an ancient engine which first appeared in the Cortina Mk3 and was mainly fitted to the North American cars, but heck, it was a 2 litre, gotta be better than the 1600. Wrong, the difference in power was small but the difference in quality was chalk and cheese. The 1600 Zeetek engine was a Yamaha engine, built to much tighter tolerances than the old 2 litre sohc engine. If you look about nowadays at the surviving high mileage engined Focus', you'll see most of them are 1600s, the 2l died a long time ago, all sorts of issues. There are a few oil burners about but most have bit the bullet, but a 1600 owned by a near neighbour has 260,000 miles+ on it and it still rarely burns oil. Mind you he changes the stuff every 6,000 miles and what little rust that shows, he deals with quickly. 2 clutches, endless tyres, original brake discs and calipers but quite a few pads and shoes.

15 hours ago, pjm said:

would have preferred DSG over CVT but the way I drive is not a race so it won’t be an issue. It’s coming in a lovely metallic blue.

In their quest to make money and a worldwide demand for self shifting gearboxes, car makers have been searching for something cheaper, as an auto box gives them problems with emissions if there is a torque converter involved. The DSG is generally a problem child unless connected to a small lowish powered motorcycle, and probably won't last more than 120k miles in any vehicle. CVT is basically a Daf transmission that they artificially put steps in so you think you are in a certain gear, but it should work more like a twist and go scooter. Generally thought to be the reason why Mitsubishi, one of the biggest CVT users, are pulling out of Europe and North America

The new auto boxes fitted to PSA cars (not the automated manuals, they are too slow to change gear but should last) as well as better German cars have far too many gears but, once again, this is emission busting for big engines, but seem to have found a good balance between emissions, fuel consumption and slick changes without using the power sapping torque converters of the past. If the fuel consumption is lower with the Auto than a manual box, you know they are pretty good, but how long will they last? If you can, change the gearbox oil  and filter every 60,000 miles.

MatBin
On 8/4/2020 at 22:35, pjm said:

Your GrandKids/Wife were so right, the Jazz is awful looking, it's for people who have given up caring about driving, the Civic is so much nicer looking(unless its an old jelly mold thing).  Good choice and points for listening to others who clearly know a lot more than you :)

My son chose my last 3 cars for me, then again he is a motoring journalist.

Dave H

I bought an auto Jazz (or Jizz as it was sometimes known) My friend has a 2.4 diesel Jag.  The auto box on the Jizz was abysmal, taking forever to get to speed and feeling like  manual with a burnt out clutch. The Jag and the Jizz both cost the same VEL and did the same mpg.  Couldn't wait to get rid.  Gone back to an A6 Audi. 

pjm

The new hybrid was a treat to drive. It would not have bothered me in the slightest but they will be happier when she occasionally picks them up or drops them off. Embarrassment during ones teenage years is paramount 😳😳

• Haha 3

Gringo

I've never owned a car. Never took a test for one either. I say never owned a car - last one I had came in a box with Corgi written on it :hmm: [wish I still had it - be worth a few bob now]

• Like 3

Haggard Rider

The coolest car we ever had, loved by wife, daughters, who would make any excuse to drive it, and son alike, was a Berlingo van, white of course.

Was nice, must admit. Punchy thing too.

MatBin

Love a van, drove one when I worked for Majestic (wine not trees), thought the lights were a bit weak, (Citroen based thing) at night, drove a Transit for a while, loved that too. Got beaten up for performance by a Transit Sport when I was in my car, would love one of those.

Mr Toad
38 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Love a van, drove one when I worked for Majestic (wine not trees), thought the lights were a bit weak, (Citroen based thing) at night, drove a Transit for a while, loved that too. Got beaten up for performance by a Transit Sport when I was in my car, would love one of those.

Some years ago I rented a van to steal some servers from a storage facility at work* and getting a Mercedes van. I remember sitting on the M1 thinking that the cab was better than my car! Very comfortable captains seats, air-con, music and all mod cons. It was a delight to drive.

* I needed some servers for a lab I was setting up. I knew where there were a load of recovered ones in storage but getting hold of them was proving impossible, the people who had them didn't like letting go, lots of red tape and approval from people who didn't exist signed in Unicorn blood.

As my access card opened most of the security doors in the company I decided to rent a van and just walk in and help myself. I then updated the database to show the lab as their new location, I had access to that too. 

As someone once said.............It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission. Not that anyone ever knew or bothered about it.

• Like 2