Shell Advance Ultra 4T 15w-50

Delboy777

Delboy777

Right peeps, I know the book says 10W 30 oil. However i have 10 litres of the above that i bought for my now gone, 1250GS. Can i use it in my X. Let the piss taking commence.

Andy m

Convention and a other posts suggest the temperature bits of the DCT are confused by the wrong reaction as the oil warms up. 

Put it in a can and use it to lube the chain. Better expensive chain lube than loopy DCT. 

Andy

• Like 2
skorpion

Give it a go, you know you want to ?

Just be ready to change back if it upset's things.

Get back to us and let us know your findings.

Mr Toad

I'm with Andy. 

Honda, other manufacturers are available, specify a certain weight and viscosity for a reason.

• Like 3
SteveThackery
20 minutes ago, Delboy777 said:

Right peeps, I know the book says 10W 30 oil. However i have 10 litres of the above that i bought for my now gone, 1250GS. Can i use it in my X. Let the piss taking commence.

No piss taking.  :)

But no - it's a long way from a 10W-30.  Probably nothing bad would happen*, but I wouldn't use it.  

*The DCT on mine was jerky when filled with 10W-40, although most DCT bikes seem fine on it.  Perhaps mine was an odd-ball.

• Thanks 1
Delboy777

Not sure if i should use it or not. Bit of a waste if i dont. I will be doing my own servicing inc the first service so just wondered whether to use that or buy the "correct" oil.

Buy the correct oil. 

• Like 4
riders in the storm

I have a strangely split personality on oil.

In my own bike/car/van I am absolutely fastidious about putting the correct grade of oil in and changing oil & filters every 5 minutes ( ok, annually or even more frequently).

However in work we tend to chuck in whatever is in the back of the store cupboard, then thrash them ( car/van/whatever) unmercifully. Never had an issue yet......:ermm:

But my advice would be get the correct oil......:yes:

• Like 1

Go ask Your Honda dealer and see the reaction. :hyper: 

• Haha 2
Defender

I've just bought 4 litres of 10W-30 and both filters in anticipation of doing a oil change, the oil arrived this morning, so I'm glad I got the right stuff :ahappy:.

• Like 2
MatBin
12 hours ago, Delboy777 said:

This is for a brand new bike? Hmmm, warranty claim if needed might be an issue using non-specified oil.

Delboy777
11 hours ago, MatBin said:

This is for a brand new bike? Hmmm, warranty claim if needed might be an issue using non-specified oil.

Nope, I've sold it and purchased the correct grade as recommended by Honda. As for warranty ? well i wont be getting dealer servics's so i doubt I would have any warranty anyway. I will do my own servicing and then at least I know it will have been done correctly. :D

MatBin
2 hours ago, Delboy777 said:

Nope, I've sold it and purchased the correct grade as recommended by Honda. As for warranty ? well i wont be getting dealer servics's so i doubt I would have any warranty anyway. I will do my own servicing and then at least I know it will have been done correctly. :D

Own service is fine and warranty is ok so long as what you have done hasn't caused the problem, or so I believe.

• Thanks 1
Andy m
18 hours ago, Griff said:

Go ask Your Honda dealer and see the reaction. :hyper: 

Guppies at feeding time would be my expectation. Half the posts on here are after the dealers used the same stuff in DCT, manual, 2-smoke....

23 minutes ago, MatBin said:

Own service is fine and warranty is ok so long as what you have done hasn't caused the problem, or so I believe.

Any warranty is subjective. If they have budget and want repeat business or reputation they pay. If they don't they don't. Triumph and BMW have a reputation for huge claims about how so long as you keep extending the warranty you are covered, then rejecting claims on anything that has actually being used. Honda seem to have so few claims you can't draw an opinion. All three Honda dealers I asked ducked the question, they believe car law applies but don't want to tell you. The BMW man was honest, no service history hands them the excuse and saves them finding another. 

We have no legal protection on bikes. On a car, if the mechanic is VAT registered and uses genuine parts you are covered no matter what lies dealers tell. This does not apply to bikes, illogical as that is. 

So, you do your own, claim, have the fight. 

Or

Jump through their hoops, claim, have a different fight. 

I bin off the warranty at 8000 miles but will be buying a branded filter to improve my chances if I need them. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
Delboy777

My nearest Honda dealer is 70 miles away, so id need to take a day off work and pay through the nose for something i can do on my own. Im quite hand with a spanner. So its a no brainer for me to do it myself using OEM quality filters and oil. 

• Like 1
davebike

I am an olf fasioned mechanic  mine has Silkolean 15/50 in it like everything else  OK did a DCT reset but  fine  and lovley and smooth

• Haha 1
Delboy777

I have sold the 15w 50 stuff and bought the proper 10w30 so there should be no issues. :D

• Like 1