Horn/Shift button on DCT

MatBin

MatBin
3 hours ago, Chris750 said:

I took a bit of time to look at the current flow diagram, the horn switch is conventional as in a 12v feed in and a 12v out when you press the switch, simples, however the down shift button shares a  possible 5v feed or earth  with the upshift button from the controller, this yellow/red wire goes to a junction box with 10 wires of the same colour, as these wires go to all the sensors associated with DCT I'm guessing this is the common 5v supply. It could be done but not just swapping wires out of a common block, anything is possible but you would have to be very careful you got the switching integrity correct.

I had a look at where those wires go too and like you I saw they went into that box, hence my "brave enough" comment above, what I might do is add a new fused switch direct to the battery and disconnect the existing one at the horn end rather than cut wires, so making it easy to return to original if I need to at some point. As it's dct I don't need to have the button near the grip as I have no clutch to activate, so hopefully if it's a bit away from the down shift button I am more likely to re-programme my brain more quickly.

Thanks for taking the time to look into the wiring, appreciated.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rocker66

• SteveThackery

• MatBin

• ChrisCB

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never had a problem with this, however, I did toot the horn a few times when trying to cancel the indicators on the first BMW I had.     Andy.

Could include that with popping over to Durham for an eyesight test...maybe 

Am I just an old guy that can not see things?, or perhaps I am a genius at adapting to new setups as I see no problem whatsoever with the button positions on the NC.     Andy.

Go to that e site and search 'Motorcycle Helmet Headset for Kenwood TYT F8 Baofeng 5r MML Uv10 Radio 2 Pin'. The Press To Talk Button is waterproof and fits quite unobtrusively to the left grip with velcro. I am sure you could adapt that to trigger a relay to trigger the horn. That way you could avoid touching any of the wiring and have the button exactly where you want it. 

Thinking about it let me go round to the garage I may have one tucked away.

I have found it. Of course it would be another button but if you want it, drop me a PM and I will get it out to you.

• Like 1
MatBin
3 hours ago, pjm said:

Go to that e site and search 'Motorcycle Helmet Headset for Kenwood TYT F8 Baofeng 5r MML Uv10 Radio 2 Pin'. The Press To Talk Button is waterproof and fits quite unobtrusively to the left grip with velcro. I am sure you could adapt that to trigger a relay to trigger the horn. That way you could avoid touching any of the wiring and have the button exactly where you want it. 

Thanks Pete, I am no electrician but I reckon a simple horn button and 2 new wires will be easier, please don't be offended that was a really generous offer. 

fred_jb
On 25/08/2020 at 12:41, SteveThackery said:

I think Honda should have looked for another way to provide the paddles functionality.  The obvious place would be to use a gear lever in the normal place, but just operating a pair of switches, and leave the handlebar layout unchanged.

They do offer a foot lever which operates DCT switches and the one I had on my NC, was brilliant with a great mecanical feel.  Seems to not be an option on current NC models but I believe is offered on other bikes such as the AT.

However, even if the foot shift was made standard, Honda would want to retain the option of hand operation, so would still need bar mounted paddles somewhere.

Edited by fred_jb
SteveThackery
3 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

However, even if the foot shift was made standard, Honda would want to retain the option of hand operation, so would still need bar mounted paddles somewhere.

Well, my instinct would be to say, "Yes, you can have the paddles, but not by displacing the horn, indicators, main/dip or engine stop/run controls.  Find another way."  

The presence of the foot shift makes the case for the paddles far less important.

fred_jb
6 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

Well, my instinct would be to say, "Yes, you can have the paddles, but not by displacing the horn, indicators, main/dip or engine stop/run controls.  Find another way."  

The presence of the foot shift makes the case for the paddles far less important.

I tend to agree, and would much prefer an auto bike to have a foot lever for use in manual mode, or for overriding the DCT.  Used this way it is like having a bike with the best quickshifter in the world.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1
outrunner

Am I just an old guy that can not see things?, or perhaps I am a genius at adapting to new setups as I see no problem whatsoever with the button positions on the NC.

Andy.

• Like 3
MatBin
1 hour ago, outrunner said:

Am I just an old guy that can not see things?, or perhaps I am a genius at adapting to new setups as I see no problem whatsoever with the button positions on the NC.

Andy.

No Andy you're not and you are fortunate in being able to adapt so easily. I suppose I am lucky as I find the seat and riding position fine, others need bar risers and/or a different seat, or possibly a different screen as they don't like the buffeting, some don't like the suspension, I find it quite acceptable. I just happen to not like the hooter switch position, we are all different I guess :)

Edited by MatBin
  • Haha 1
Jamesc

Yeah we can either get used to or get rid. & My arse was never going to get used to that seat 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1