Service Query

embattle

Rocker66
3 hours ago, Andy m said:

Cynicism? I go to the meetings where manufacturers set service intervals. Its spreadsheets where the accounts tell you how much can be made and everyone else has to argue their corner. The truck fleets are of course much better informed and will do oil analysis etc. to disprove stupidly low changes. 

Bike technology is no different to cars, yet we have lower intervals. Oil analysis shows you can usually double the intervals. Why do they get away with it? There is a group of owners with an emotional attachment no fleet manager would ever have. This causes a sort of hypercondria where they want to change the oil every 1500 miles. Any business selling oil would be crazy not to go along with it. 

Andy

My reference to your cynicism was the way that you suggested that dealers would do and charge for an unnecessary valve adjustment at a bikes second annual service despite its really low mileage. I’m sure that there may be a few that would but from my recent personal experience definitely not all.

There are dodgy dealers out there but also good ones

embattle

Got to do a bit of work before it goes in for a service, I heard a thud the other week and didn't think much to it but it smashed a piece of the lower cover so I've order the replacement piece of plastic and a few clips for nearly £120:

IMG-20200830-132710.jpg

• Sad 1
Andy m

Thats annoying. 

I've said before these plastic covers should do their job against road debris. No need to fit armoured plate so long as the thing flexes and absorbs the impact. Better than metal because the support structure won't carry any impact into the really expensive bits (which looks to be the case? Exhaust and sump/head are OK? ) . That's either met something too big or didn't flex ☹️ 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
embattle

I'm fairly sure it was something sizeable from memory and the reaction of the bike, the front wheel rolled off it and probably tipped it up. To give you an idea of what it looks like this is the non damaged side, which of course has an extra vent rather than a horn:

IMG-20200830-132721.jpg

The bottom part clips onto the lower side panel via a push clip, it also dislodged one further hence needing a couple more. The small tab of damage to the lower panel (Grey) on the damaged side I'll just glue back in to place.  

I'll take off the panel on Tuesday anyway just to check for anything else that I might need to order, I was slightly lucky as the side it hit doesn't look like it has anything behind or near it whereas the other side does including I believe the coolant reserve tank.

Grumpy old man
51 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Thats annoying. 

I've said before these plastic covers should do their job against road debris. No need to fit armoured plate so long as the thing flexes and absorbs the impact. Better than metal because the support structure won't carry any impact into the really expensive bits (which looks to be the case? Exhaust and sump/head are OK? ) . That's either met something too big or didn't flex ☹️ 

Andy

Talking about bash plate,  about 4:50  into this vid, one for you Andy.

embattle

So I've removed it, see below for piece:

IMG-20200831-110221.jpg

So having removed it I've had to order 3 more bits which are attached to the back of it, 2 rubber pads which probably touch the motor and a piece of silver tape which is probably protection from the exhaust. 

What is nice is having to remove it due to damage I now know how to since it makes cleaning the crude that goes behind it easier, also means I can easily top up coolant etc if needed.

Andy m
18 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Talking about bash plate,  about 4:50  into this vid, one for you Andy.

I saw that on the annoying forum too. 

Some of the criticism is a bit fierce. It did its job, saved the engine. You can't expect to use it to break rocks like an XT600 chassis rail. The camera man took that streamlet/run off ditch like crosser, so regardless of the Rally Raid brand you have to expect damage. These bikes survive off road they don't excel. I you want a crosser you have to live with the ironing board seat and 55 mph cruising speed on the motorway to get there. 

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Going back to dealers, In this day and age  a company can sink or swim regarding good or bad reviews it gets on the internet. In my opinion most would want to avoid bad press and provide a good service. I do believe most people are pretty decent. I certainly would not use a dealer or anyone which has a large percentage of unhappy customers.

• Like 1

I use Bridge motorcycles in Exeter, they've been good to me so far but after the warranty is up I may well change simply because the time it takes to get there and back is longer than the time of the service.