Bearing failure on both wheels - 8,000 miles

Fatalistic

Fatalistic

Hello all, bike is a 2017 NC750X DCT bought second hand from a dealer earlier this year. Took it in for first MOT and a service having reached 8,000 miles. To my surprise, they’re telling me the rear wheel bearing is shot and the front are rumbling. Anybody able to convince me that this is reasonable for that age/mileage?
It’s not a Honda dealer and off course, bearings are a wear & tear item but since buying it, the only mileage I’ve done was within one full tank of juice so I’m thinking this should’ve appeared during their PDI?

In anticipation of obvious question: I’ve only ridden solo, weigh about 90kg and have not been off-roading/wheelying/practising stoppies.

Andy m

Do you have a centre stand or paddock stand? I assume the rear feels notchy when rocked? If not, take it for MOT elsewhere, they've run out of non-strident horns so are trying to sell you bearings. 

This is however not entirely unknown. Honda have had issues with wheel bearings in the past. 

They indeed should not be ****ed after 8000 miles. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
alhendo1
3 minutes ago, Andy m said:

they've run out of non-strident horns

I never tire of that one🤣

• Haha 1
Fatalistic

Hi Andy, it has a centre stand but I’d not noticed anything amiss from the saddle and never thought to physically check the wheels. As it’s in the dealership, I authorised the rear being sorted but as the front weren’t ‘too bad’, I’ll be taking it to a trusted independent. Only using the supplying dealer for the service to maintain their ‘lifetime warranty’ promise....

outrunner

I would be interested to see what the "lifetime warranty" actually means, and how long it lasts. ;)

Andy.

Grumpy old man

I had my rear wheel bearing changed under warranty think it was about 16000 miles  then I replaced them myself just after the warranty ran out, obviously not quality bearings. Original chain replaced at 8500 then the dealer pulled a fast one on me said he would only charge for the chain and not for labour,  then charged me £100 for an o ring chain which was knackered at 18000.

• Like 1

I think it depends on the washing regime as well ,. Mine lasted till about k25 on the rear never had to do the front and I was commuting.take it back and tell the dealer to sort

• Like 1
MatBin

Same mileage, year and model as mine, sailed through its MOT.

I would be suspicious but I guess not unknown, if it's been jet washed etc it's possible the bearings could be shot.

Given the mileage you have ridden since purchase dealer should replace free of charge as a goodwill gesture as a minimum.

Fit for sale etc might be a reasonable argument, given covid etc it could be argued you only did minimal mileage so the bearings were obviously faulty at time of sale.

Edited by MatBin
  • Like 1
Slowboy

My NC was still on it’s original wheel bearings at 30k. In fact I can’t think of a bike I’ve owned that needed new wheel bearings. My Ducati GT was still on it’s originals at 60k, my 250 rally at 20k. Even my trusty old C90, at only 17k admittedly is still on it’s 36 year old originals.

None of the above is due to any skill on my part by the way, they just kept on rolling.

16 hours ago, Fatalistic said:

Hello all, bike is a 2017 NC750X DCT bought second hand from a dealer earlier this year. Took it in for first MOT and a service having reached 8,000 miles. To my surprise, they’re telling me the rear wheel bearing is shot and the front are rumbling. Anybody able to convince me that this is reasonable for that age/mileage?
It’s not a Honda dealer and off course, bearings are a wear & tear item but since buying it, the only mileage I’ve done was within one full tank of juice so I’m thinking this should’ve appeared during their PDI?

In anticipation of obvious question: I’ve only ridden solo, weigh about 90kg and have not been off-roading/wheelying/practising stoppies.

I would venture to suggest that there are a couple of factors involved. Washing regime as mentioned above already, and time lying up. Its a very low mileage bike so it has sat around for long periods possibly. So, if it had had a blast of a high pressure washer which would have pushed water past the outer seals at least, and then laid up for a long period, that is when the mischief would have been done. 

I agree that this should have been spotted during their PDI and I wouldn't hesitate to put that to them. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Fatalistic

I raised my concerns when I went to collect the bike after the service, pointing out the mileage recorded as part of their PDI and the mileage at the time of the service. Staff did suggest that use of a pressure washer could be the reason for the failure of the bearings, but I’ve never cleaned it: having only been out a few times (and never in the wet), it’s not needed it (my days of cleaning a bike after every ride are long gone...)

Their service manager offered to pay for a set if I paid for the other. On that basis, I said I’d get the front sorted and let them cover the cost of the rear that they’d already done. That left me with a bill of £260 for the first 8,000 service (including MOT). Now that means the bike is covered by their ‘lifetime’ warranty until the next service comes ‘round, but it’s a lot of money considering the parts used.

I continue to enjoy the bike, appreciating the overall performance and handling but especially the combination of the engine and DCT for their character, ease of use and refinement. More fun than my FJR.

Edited by Fatalistic
Grammar
  • Like 3
jeremyr62
16 minutes ago, Fatalistic said:

More fun than my FJR

Yes I found that too. My FJR is up for sale atm as a consequence.

If it was both wheels then it sounds like someone over tightened the axle nuts.  I have always pressure washed my bikes (sensibly) and dont' have a problem with bearings, my NC700X bearings lasted to nearly 60k.

Grumpy old man
On 10/09/2020 at 13:19, shiggsy said:

If it was both wheels then it sounds like someone over tightened the axle nuts.  I have always pressure washed my bikes (sensibly) and dont' have a problem with bearings, my NC700X bearings lasted to nearly 60k.

Can't see how over tightening would cause bearing failure as the wheel spindle just clamps the inner part of the bearing and the spacer together it wouldn't effect the actual bearings themselves, if you see what I mean? They are not tapered bearings. 

• Like 2

Problem with over tight noteably windy spanners is you can crush the inner spacer and side oad the bearings

I was Taught in day when service mattered ! I always add grease into the wheel and re grease the spindal

One local tyre center always wipes the spindel clean and dose it up with the windy spanner to 250/300 ft/lb ! 

I had to sort load of the resulting problems  Locaal BMW independant  hates them as He often has to drill out the bolts from single sideed rear wheels always had at tyre ftted at guess where !!

If you can always grease the spindle when thee wheel is out and a bit in to te wheel and the sprocket carrier bearing helps  They should all be sealed but grease around helps

The Jet was bit is I thing rubbish I use one on my own bikes all the time and vers seldom have had a wheel bearing fail the only reoccuring one the brake side on the rear on the Fazer used to get hot and fail but I heavy on the rear brake and Ruth the previous owner was as well in 129k it han I think 4 RHS rear left is a massive needle roller !

I now plannin  both spindles out and greased and followling anoth thread swing arm spindle as well !!