Sign in to follow this  
Tel

Maintenance free chain!

Tel

BMW have developed and are introducing a maintenance free drive-train as a fitting for their S1000R and XR.

They will also start to supply this for other bikes apparently.

It has a special diamond coating that requires no lubrication of even adjustment!

Sounds revolutionary to me and a real asset if it becomes widely available to retrofit to other bikes/makes.

Not extortionately priced either...

janvda

I've been looking into this one too... Sounds promising, but almost sounds to good to be true. Will wait for some real-world tests. I've seen that, for the moment, they are only available in 525 pitch, while our Honda's use 520 pitch, I "think" a complete set (incl. sprockets) "should" fit our bikes too. 

Integrator

Quite interesting..:D  brilliant idea to use this well proven coating method on a MC chain.. used for some years now, in commercial ship engines so the vegan ‘engine oil’ sole purpose is as a coolant and never needs to be changed.. not filled with combustion waste as in our humble engines.. :niceone: - will now set the belt drive plans on hold to see if this’ll turn out affordable :drool:

• Like 1

jeremyr62

You might want to google Moto Guzzi Griso rollerised tappets before celebrating too joyously.

• Thanks 1

MatBin

Regina are now claiming to have a maintenance free chain on the market by Jan 2021

Hickky

I don't see what all the fuss is about. Chains don't need maintenance do they? You just replace them every 6,000 miles? Whaaaat? 

• Haha 1

Trumpet

Still going to wear out though, the X or O rings eventually fail and the trapped lube dissappears and you get seized links. That's the current failure mode of all good X ring chains. Stiil, imagine that, a Bike with a chain without flung off oil or lube all over the back of the Bike ..

Tex

D7-CE7-AA7-9979-42-F2-8955-FC7-F3-DB660-

• Haha 3