Jump to content
makman

K1200R

Recommended Posts

Andy m
14 minutes ago, bazza said:

winter a few weeks away 

That cheered me up 👍 Power Rangers in front of their play stations. Plod indoors with a cuppa and a pile of memo's on who is untouchable due to political correctness, doddery Doris packing away the picnic blanket..... 

 

The sales are a combination of all sorts. Weeks with no bike activity except the spec sheets and YouTube videos. The Carpe Diem attitude. FOMO in case it comes back or the rush takes limited stock before the supply pipelines refill. People feeling they can do their bit to get the economy going. Money saved from train fares, coffee in cardboard cups, plastic sandwiches etc. People feeling unsafe on the peasant wagon. The fact we were let out sooner because of our built in PPE. The deals from when the manufacturers expect a trickle not a tidal wave. 

 

I know two blokes who gave up but having spent lockdown unable to play golf or go to the pub are now looking for bikes. I hope they don't, they are idiots who will drive up insurance costs and fund a few more cameras/lower speed limit signs, but they will be creating activity at the dealers. 

 

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66

We were in Kent M/Cs today and saw plenty of new bikes with sold tags on . Plenty of ATs and a top of the range Blade. I loved the used Fury they had in stock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
5 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

We were in Kent M/Cs today and saw plenty of new bikes with sold tags on . Plenty of ATs and a top of the range Blade. I loved the used Fury they had in stock.


Ah yes the Fury. I do have a soft spot for them, but they are very rare now. Most that were sold here seem to disappear abroad, perhaps because customs are not so popular here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
makman

The chariot outside my Church.  Road down to Cantebury Cathedral today for a training day and it returned 42.9mpg as very Non NC speeds.  Put it this way, I am already going quicker than an NC in 2nd gear.  It is intoxicating and great fun to ride something that overtaking is just a flick of the throttle in 6th gear and you make progress with minimal effort.  The rear bumber hogs who creep up are dispatched with contemptous ease.  I must remember that I really do want to keep my license!

 

y4mhwsAzjgLY5e0nJHRw4uHARo5D5KjKsJmnwMQ0

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Trev

Nice pic, glad you're enjoying the K for what it's meant for, there really isn't anything quite like a really quick bike :devil:

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
7 hours ago, Trev said:

Nice pic, glad you're enjoying the K for what it's meant for, there really isn't anything quite like a really quick bike :devil:

 

 


Agreed! Although some of the latest stuff (200+ hp) is way too much for my addled old brain.. ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyj
26 minutes ago, Tex said:


Agreed! Although some of the latest stuff (200+ hp) is way too much for my addled old brain.. ;) 

 

that’s why I stick to a sensible 175 bhp , So much more easier to handle . :0) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
makman
12 minutes ago, Tonyj said:

 

that’s why I stick to a sensible 175 bhp , So much more easier to handle . :0) 

Ah 163bhp on a naked is more than enough for me thanks!  I did enjoy the 0- woops, um sorry officer I sneezed, in ludicrously short time frames though.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Trev
3 hours ago, Tex said:


Agreed! Although some of the latest stuff (200+ hp) is way too much for my addled old brain.. ;) 

 

I know what you mean, I'm spending so much time on slower bikes that even the 94bhp AT feels quick these days :cry:

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
53 minutes ago, Trev said:

 

I know what you mean, I'm spending so much time on slower bikes that even the 94bhp AT feels quick these days :cry:

 

 


Mmmm. 😂

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
On 01/09/2020 at 22:42, Rocker66 said:

But do you like it?😀😀

Im sure Andy will be along to give you 101 reasons why you shouldn’t have bought it.😀

seriously it sounds like a good bike. Enjoy it in safety.

Love them. That *rse end looks fabulous! The motor is a stonker and has that rare ability to be both unintimidating yet very fast. Apparently they return an incredible mpg too. Me and Kels tried the K1200GT - the panniered fully faired version. We didn't buy it but it was a lovely thing! 

 

And to be fair to Andy it's more to do with the suited lizards which inhabit the dealer with the blue and white propeller logo rather than the products themselves. He was rather kind about our F900GT. 

Share this post


Link to post
makman

Stripped, cleaned and regreased the lower wishbone suspension bits on the might K1200R because I don't know when they were last done. They were not dry, but they also needed to be repacked with grease, so it was good timing. Took me around an hour as bike has centre stand and I have all the tools and so on.  Bit of glove caught on the exhaust bolt.  Now removed. 

 

y4m3WOIqoyDicUeufk622PNRpN6s5-d83PmP87ef

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tel
11 minutes ago, makman said:

Stripped, cleaned and regreased the lower wishbone suspension bits on the might K1200R because I don't know when they were last done. They were not dry, but they also needed to be repacked with grease, so it was good timing. Took me around an hour as bike has centre stand and I have all the tools and so on.  Bit of glove caught on the exhaust bolt.  Now removed. 

 

y4m3WOIqoyDicUeufk622PNRpN6s5-d83PmP87ef

 

Didn't Brian at BGM pick up on that? I'm surprised...

Glad you're enjoying the bike, I'm only 'slightly' jealous!  :devil:

Share this post


Link to post
makman
2 hours ago, Tel said:

 

Didn't Brian at BGM pick up on that? I'm surprised...

Glad you're enjoying the bike, I'm only 'slightly' jealous!  :devil:

 

Only going to book it in for March now as no point servicing it and then not riding it for 5 months....  He said they were not service items and I decided to sort it myself.  he did do diagnostics and said everything was spot on and no worries with the ABS servo etc. He also said it was a very clean example of the K1200R which is nice of him.   It will get the full monty service when it goes to him.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
makman
9 hours ago, Tel said:

 

Didn't Brian at BGM pick up on that? I'm surprised...

Glad you're enjoying the bike, I'm only 'slightly' jealous!  :devil:

 

Having looked at the video, I think I will do the rear drive splines once I've bought the correct grease!  It is straight foward and simple enough for a numpty like me to carry out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
11 hours ago, makman said:

 

Having looked at the video, I think I will do the rear drive splines once I've bought the correct grease!  It is straight foward and simple enough for a numpty like me to carry out.

 

I'm going to service mine later in the year. 

 

Are you planning on changing the oil in there at the same time?

 

Even if you know it's been done recently it would make sense, it takes 180ml** of 75W-90 oil, while you're in there greasing the splines. My reason for saying this is that the oil may have been changed but did the mechanic remember to clear out any crud from the drain plug drain plug?

 

They are hollow and magnetic to catch and retain any metal particles. Changing the oil is all well and good but unless they cleaned out the drain plug any metal will remain in the drive, not great even it is stuck to the magnet. A couple of cotton buds and a squirt of brake cleaner don't take long. 

 

** This is for the GS, you should check if the K is the same.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
makman

K is 230ml from what I know.  But OEM did not have magnet!  So i'll get the upgraded version.

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

I was talking to a bloke a few years ago about magnetic crud collectors. He ragailed me with a tail about a Chinook helicopter he was travelling in as a squaddy. They had just picked up a jeep with the sky hook. Modern aircraft are festooned with sensors and the Chinhook has a set of magnetic debris sensors in each of the two gearboxes. As the front and rear rotors overlap, it's vital that they continue to be in sync. As they ascended further an an alarm went off from one of these sensors. He said it was incredible how quick the pilot got the helicopter back on the ground having first jettisoned the hanging load unceremoniously into some trees at about 500ft

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

 

17 hours ago, larryblag said:

He said it was incredible how quick the pilot got the helicopter back on the ground having first jettisoned the hanging load unceremoniously into some trees at about 500ft

 

Much to the detriment of both the Jeep and the trees.. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

Yup! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×