Argyll

Lighter Weight Helmets

Argyll

I prefer riding naked bikes and enjoyed a really great summer on both my Sportster and Interceptor. However, I began to notice on the longer rides that my Shoei Neotec didn't like the continued air blast and began to feel heavy and my neck could definitely feel the effect.

Accordingly, I thought of lighter weight helmets and picked up a Caberg Duke 11 from Sportsbikeshop for around £130. What a super buy that was! I reckon that it's only about 300g lighter but it is much more comfortable on longer trips. Not quite as well made as the Shoei but definitely acceptable. I would be more than happy if it was my only lid.

I still wear the Shoei when I'm on the Himalayan or the Forza as they have little, if any, wind blast but the Caberg purchase has just made my life a little better :)

• Like 4

MikeBike

I have the Caberg Duke - one of the very few that fitted my head - Shoei's feel like they don't come down far enough.

The Caberg Duke has also 5 ***** in the SHARP impact rating testing scheme, lots of more expensive helmets from other manufacturers dont.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=Caberg&model=All&type=1

And at £130 it's cheap enough to replace regularly - I've had 2 in 5 years and am about to replace again - knocks, scratched visor etc.

I'm expecting a new Shark D Sqwal2 coming today full face with 4**** and ACU Gold sticker as I've signed up for a trackday next month and need ACU Gold rating (full face) as well as another Caberg Stunt with ACU gold in case it doesn't fit and I have a Caberg only head, but that's only 2** so hoping the Shark fits. Think the fit is more important than the rating as they all have to have minimum standard anyway.

• Like 1

Jamesco

I was after a Shoei RYD to get something a bit lighter than my current HJC and with better ventilation, couldn't get one in white in UK so ordered an RF-SR (same thing) from US. I was considering a Caberg they do look good and get high Sharp ratings as above

Edited by Jamesco

MikeBike
3 hours ago, Jamesco said:

I was after a Shoei RYD to get something a bit lighter than my current HJC and with better ventilation, couldn't get one in white in UK so ordered an RF-SR (same thing) from US. I was considering a Caberg they do look good and get high Sharp ratings as above

I tried one of those in at my dealers (Colwyn Bay Motorcycles) on Friday. They would have got me a white one had it fitted. Didn't come down far enough. Must be all the grey matter up there. Shame it doesnt contain much useful stuff.

• Thanks 1

wobble

Like Cabergs. They fit my head. Wear one all day long at work. Decent lid for the money.

• Like 1

Hickky

6 hours ago, MikeBike said:

I'm expecting a new Shark D Sqwal2 coming today full face with 4**** and ACU Gold sticker as I've signed up for a trackday next month and need ACU Gold rating

Tip: Don't pay extra for a gold ACU sticker. All full face ECE helmets can wear an ACU gold sticker. Just check the Sharp rating. If it is 4* or better it is suitable for a track day, that's not a regulation, but would you chance crashing at 120 mph with a 2* helmet? Get a gold sticker from the bay of e for about £5.00 and put it on.

You need a set of leathers as well. One piece are better than zip together two piece, from £200 from the same source including basic armour. Your normal riding boots, if over ankle and made as bike boots are probably OK.

DCTPaul

Had 3x Caberg Flips... Duke, Konda, some thing... Then discovered HJC... IS Max II flip x2... and the HJC i90 is real nice,

prolly next ... way better quality than Caberg in my opinion...

Edited by DCTPaul

Argyll
28 minutes ago, DCTPaul said:

Had 3x Caberg Flips... Duke, Konda, some thing... Then discovered HJC... IS Max II flip x2... and the HJC i90 is real nice,

prolly next ... way better quality than Caberg in my opinion...

How are they for weight?

MikeBike
3 minutes ago, Jamesco said:

@MatBin maybe I will end up thinking the same about fit...no chance to 'try before I buy'

Caberg Duke II does get a nice write up (& also the HJC i90 on the same site)

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/caberg-duke-modular-crash-helmet-review/

Think you mean me.

My take on that site was just pushing people to other sites to gain their click referrals. Was pointing me to helmets saying ACU Gold when they werent.

• Like 1

MikeBike
55 minutes ago, Argyll said:

How are they for weight?

1.78Kg for the HJC HJC IS MAX 2

vs

1.55Kg for the Caberg Duke 2

from the Sharp gov site

Edited by MikeBike
  • Thanks 1

Jamesco

Yeah @MikeBike....trying to do two things at once & clicked there Matt instead of Mike

I can see that about Billy's Crash Helmet site, still some good info amongst the links I thought. My main places to buy gear from is Sports Bike Shop, or Revzilla in US

MikeBike

I always give my dealer a look/chance as I'd like them to have the business and, presumably as a loyal customer,  they will often give me a competitive price compared to the big internet sites even if they have to order in.

• Like 1

electric_monk

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/nishua-enduro-carbon-enduro-helmet/215086

I am on my second one of these albeit the first was Uvex (who make a lot of BMW helmets).

I have a Neotec work helmet and the difference in weight is considerable. The helmet can be used with or without the peak.

Hard to say how it rates regarding windnoise because I always wear earplugs. It has a wider visor aperature than the Shoei

and is extremely comfortable. It is well made and a good price.

Edited by electric_monk
  • Like 1

Mr Toad

I bought the carbon fibre BMW dual sport helmet when it was on offer. Best thing I ever did and a fantastically light helmet, so good that happily pay the full going rate for a carbon fibre helmet. 

Prior to getting it my Shark Evo was my go to lid but like the OP the weight began to affect my neck during a long ride. 

Hickky
19 hours ago, MikeBike said:

Was pointing me to helmets saying ACU Gold when they werent.

Mike, understand this about ACU gold. Most crash helmets don't have ACU gold either in the box, or on the helmet. Why? Because helmet retailers realise that it costs them about £3.00 per lid and they have to fix them on themselves. ACU gold no longer is a high quality assured statement. Any road legal full face helmet can have an ACU gold sticker as long as it ie ECE approved. You can buy ACU gold stickers on tinternet, mainly from helmet retailers who dot a roll of them with a batch of helmets but couldn't be bothered to stick them on. Therefore you only need to spend under £10 for a sticker.

My two full face helmets have ACU gold stickers. An LS2 that I bought at a rally in Ipswich for £25.00. It is sharpe rated 4 star, came with a sticker, but really is a touring type lid. My other one is a Richa one. Richa no longer market lids, but the number on the ECE label told me who made it. Taiwanese made, carbon construction but had a wonkey visor so it was sold for £20.00 at Peterborough. The ECE number also told me what visor to fit, so a visor, costing more than the lid was bought, and the current lid has a SHARP rating of 5 star. It is also very light weight and has decoration similar to Lewis Hamiltons' lid. No ACU gold sticker was rectified by the tinternet. Trackdays only look to see if there is a sticker there. In the old days they would inspect your helmet to ensure straps are not frayed etc, but no one in their right mind would now ride on a track (or on the road) without a half decent helmet, so buy the helmet you feel comfortable in, making sure it isn't too heavy and enjoy the trackday. Getting your suspension and tyres set up properly so you can enjoy the handling of your bike at it's best is the most satisfying and makes you less likely to need helmets, leathers and boots in the first place.

baben

Well, the other day I popped into Sportsbikeshop to get a new helmet. I had a shortlist and ended up getting an LS2 Valiant 2. Not the lightest helmet but about the same as a Shark Evo I think and a similar design. Some good points, comes with a pinlock and a carrying rucksak, locking mechanisim is easy to use and the fit seems snug. I normally get a large helmet but this comes up as an XL - reviews say their sizing is on the small size so my head has not got bigger. I also bought their  helmet specific head set. What a b@@@d that was to fit! Luckily SWMBO helped me and now it is in it is really neat, no great big lump on the side of the  helmet. So far however I have not had a chance to get out on  the bike so I have no idea whether it is quiet or not.

• Like 1

TeeSir

I'm also rocking a Caberg fiber helmet, was around 300€ and it's really comfy for how well it sits. That being said I'm going to try Scorpion for my next one - my wife has one and it's super light. Exo 1400 Air if I recall correctly. My Caberg is modular and it's not great on the noise cancellation.

janvda

I'm currently looking into buying the AGV K6. A little indecisive on which color scheme to go for, I'm looking for the scheme which will be the most visible to others

baben

I tried an agv but I have the wrong head shape

listener
2 hours ago, baben said:

I tried an agv but I have the wrong head shape

Me too!

kryten.jpg

• Haha 5

baben

Got out on the bike today at last, wearing the new LS2 helmet. It is very comfortable and quiet and the bluetooth headset is crystal clear. Pleased.

• Like 5

PoppetM
3 hours ago, baben said:

Got out on the bike today at last, wearing the new LS2 helmet. It is very comfortable and quiet and the bluetooth headset is crystal clear. Pleased.

You probably needed the ride out x

• Like 2