Jump to content
outrunner

DCT problems.

Recommended Posts

davebike

Bike should NOT come out of wetural with side stand down ! well at least the post 2016 ones not tested on earler bikes  

Mostly the dct problems I seen  unless Fi light stays on are the pin or needs a dct reset but needing a reset never comes on suddnly that I heard of

 

Share this post


Link to post
janvda
On 9/9/2020 at 19:15, outrunner said:

The side stand switch would only prevent it from starting, not stop the gears from changing. Anyway, I am off to check/clean every connection I can see.

 

Andy.

You can start the bike with the sidestand down, the switch just prevents you from switching into gear

Share this post


Link to post
listener
3 hours ago, janvda said:

You can start the bike with the sidestand down, the switch just prevents you from switching into gear

 

Correct! ...

 

As I found out at the Kirriemuir petrol station a couple of weeks ago.

Topped up bike.

Turned on ignition. Tried to put bike in gear. Nothing. Turned off ignition.

Turned on ignition and waited until all the buzzing had stopped.

Tried to put bike in gear. Nothing. "Oh crap! They were right about DCT being crap."

Turned off ignition. Paddled bike to the left, away from pump.

Bike sits up a bit and then there's a clunk. "Doh!"

 

Turned on ignition. Tried to put bike in gear. Success!

Drive off with red face while muttering,  "worra plonker!" :blush::blush::blush:

 

Edited by listener
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
29 minutes ago, listener said:

 

Correct! ...

 

As I found out at the Kirriemuir petrol station a couple of weeks ago.

Topped up bike.

Turned on ignition. Tried to put bike in gear. Nothing. Turned off ignition.

Turned on ignition and waited until all the buzzing had stopped.

Tried to put bike in gear. Nothing. "Oh crap! They were right about DCT being crap."

Turned off ignition. Paddled bike to the left, away from pump.

Bike sits up a bit and then there's a clunk. "Doh!"

 

Turned on ignition. Tried to put bike in gear. Success!

Drive off with red face while muttering,  "worra plonker!" :blush::blush::blush:

 

Something else We can add to the list of things most of us have done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
4 hours ago, KingJames said:

If you need a new battery I am a massive fan of the lithium ones, I have this one - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248949

£110 for a battery?? you could buy 8 years worth for that kind of money. OK I know they are lighter but that is not going to make any more difference to performance than eating one less pie a week. :D

 

Andy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m
50 minutes ago, outrunner said:

£110 for a battery?? you could buy 8 years worth for that kind of money. OK I know they are lighter but that is not going to make any more difference to performance than eating one less pie a week. :D

 

Andy.

 

Not wishing to upset someone with such huge potential as an honorary Yorkshireman, but this gets worse, you need to buy a different battery charger too 😭🤐🤧😁😁

 

Andy

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy

I seem to be quoting this chap a lot lately. @Andy m and @outrunner, I think he’s on your side😂

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Trev

 

 

I'm really going to have to do a Fortnine boxset binge ......

 

'as in puberty, some drop is normal' :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames
16 hours ago, outrunner said:

£110 for a battery?? you could buy 8 years worth for that kind of money. OK I know they are lighter but that is not going to make any more difference to performance than eating one less pie a week. :D

 

Andy.

Sport bike shop always doing discounts but I keep bikes for a long time so I suspect I’ll be quids in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Chris750

I recently got a shido LTX14-BS for the Varadero from Halfrauds, £65 with trade card.

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

I think I have fixed the bike, at least I hope it's fixed. After much research trawling the internet, sifting out the shit rubbish that is talked on various forums I came to the conclusion that it was the shift motor to blame. I found it strange that an electric motor could be such a pain in the arse and cause the problem but I managed to get one off the bay and fitted it today. Took the bike out and drove 60 miles or so not sparing it any and doing a lot of needless gearshifts to work the motor hard using auto and manual, normal drive and sport 3 (is there any other mode but 3? :D ) and it performed faultlessly............result!

Having said that I am not hoisting the flag all the way up yet as I will give it a much longer run tomorrow. In case anyone is interested the shift motor is the same for all the NC, VFR1200 and 1800 Gold Wing models with DCT. The one I got is from a VFR1200, amazing what you find if you type a part number into google.

 

Andy.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery
1 hour ago, outrunner said:

I think I have fixed the bike, at least I hope it's fixed. After much research trawling the internet, sifting out the shit rubbish that is talked on various forums I came to the conclusion that it was the shift motor to blame. I found it strange that an electric motor could be such a pain in the arse and cause the problem but I managed to get one off the bay and fitted it today. Took the bike out and drove 60 miles or so not sparing it any and doing a lot of needless gearshifts to work the motor hard using auto and manual, normal drive and sport 3 (is there any other mode but 3? :D ) and it performed faultlessly............result!

Having said that I am not hoisting the flag all the way up yet as I will give it a much longer run tomorrow. In case anyone is interested the shift motor is the same for all the NC, VFR1200 and 1800 Gold Wing models with DCT. The one I got is from a VFR1200, amazing what you find if you type a part number into google.

 

Cracking bit of diagnostics work there, mate - nice one! You should take it up for a profession.....

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
2 hours ago, outrunner said:

I think I have fixed the bike, at least I hope it's fixed. After much research trawling the internet, sifting out the shit rubbish that is talked on various forums I came to the conclusion that it was the shift motor to blame. I found it strange that an electric motor could be such a pain in the arse and cause the problem but I managed to get one off the bay and fitted it today. Took the bike out and drove 60 miles or so not sparing it any and doing a lot of needless gearshifts to work the motor hard using auto and manual, normal drive and sport 3 (is there any other mode but 3? :D ) and it performed faultlessly............result!

Having said that I am not hoisting the flag all the way up yet as I will give it a much longer run tomorrow. In case anyone is interested the shift motor is the same for all the NC, VFR1200 and 1800 Gold Wing models with DCT. The one I got is from a VFR1200, amazing what you find if you type a part number into google.

 

Andy.

Pity it won’t give you VFR1200 performance😀

seriously though I’m glad that you got it all sorted.

Share this post


Link to post
Dunnster

Here's to another 54,000 miles, good work Andy.:niceone:

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

Great bit of work. 

 

Out of interest is there anything on the old motor to give further confirmation? Sticky shaft, sooty marks, resistance out of spec, that sort of thing? 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Great bit of work. 

 

Out of interest is there anything on the old motor to give further confirmation? Sticky shaft, sooty marks, resistance out of spec, that sort of thing? 

 

Andy

No there are no obvious signs on the motor and the shaft turns with the same feel as the one I fitted. However, I have a mate who has worked with all sorts of production line electrical installations, electric golf buggys etc so he is going to look at it to see if there is anything amiss inside the motor.

 

Andy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
9 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Pity it won’t give you VFR1200 performance😀

 

You would think it would for the price of a new motor...........£330.00, :shocked: that makes the £130.00 I paid seem like a bargain. :)

 

Andy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
davebike

Inteesting!  and Noted that motor fault did not though up a Fi light 

Old system  with two servos on 700  I hada change up servo fail on a custtomers bike and dthat put up the Fi light !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

The EM light will be very good at detecting electrical faults, open circuit, current draw etc. They are less good at physical problems, so may or may not be able to pick up the change in current draw from a stuck solenoid and will be hopeless if the armature moves but isn't connected to anything. 

 

Not having a light may be good having put the effort in. Faults than can be cured with contact cleaner tend to put a light on. Changing the part for one with clean contacts is the expensive way to do the same. 

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
kayz1

My dealer told me when i was doing some work on a DCT..the shift motor torq has to be right, the TEST is to get the strong guy in the workshop to hold the motor in his hand while some body applies power to it. If the motor twists his hand a bit it is good..if he can hold it still bin it.:D That is the test on all the farm quads to...

Share this post


Link to post
MatBin
5 hours ago, kayz1 said:

My dealer told me when i was doing some work on a DCT..the shift motor torq has to be right, the TEST is to get the strong guy in the workshop to hold the motor in his hand while some body applies power to it. If the motor twists his hand a bit it is good..if he can hold it still bin it.:D That is the test on all the farm quads to...

HSE approved? :)

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
7 hours ago, kayz1 said:

My dealer told me when i was doing some work on a DCT..the shift motor torq has to be right, the TEST is to get the strong guy in the workshop to hold the motor in his hand while some body applies power to it. If the motor twists his hand a bit it is good..if he can hold it still bin it.:D That is the test on all the farm quads to...

In that case the torque was right on my motor when cold or according to what was said it would not shift and only caused a problem when hot.

 

Andy.

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner

I put in 169 miles today with no problems so I think it is safe to say the bike is fixed with only the display to get right. It is going in for tyres (again) tomorrow so I will get him to put the diagnostic gubbins on to see what gives.

 

 

Andy.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×