Haggard Rider

Motorcycle boots or safety boots?

Haggard Rider

Looking to get some new boots that give me better (as in less painful) access through the throat, so looking at boots with a side zip.

Saw the Falco Rangers https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/325955 the price making me wince a tad, so then had a lateral think... do I really need motorcycle specific boots or will work/safety boots do as good a job? Then I found these... https://www.ardenwinch.com/products/Footwear/Waterproof-Boots/VARSF85_Black-Rock-SF85-Victor-Waterproof-Side-Zip-Safety-Boot (can be found cheaper elsewhere)

So, will the safety boot be a suitably acceptable alternative? Or are the specifics of a motorcycle boot such that it affords that much better protection than a safety boot?

Ciaran1602

The only advantage I can think of for dedicated bike boots is they have the toe shifter pads to ease wear - not so important if you have a DCT! In winter I use true bike boots for their improved waterproofing and their mid calf length to improve warmth but in summer I've been using Converse boots of some form. If they're sturdy and comfy I see no reason not to use them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DMB
28 minutes ago, Jamesco said:

I got these ones from SBS

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/222596

Maybe too "power rangers"

Crumbs!  See what you mean about "power rangers".  Were they a panic purchase?  A good thing you don't ride a Deauville.

• Haha 3

Trev

I've actually got a pair of the Falcos (in brown .... I like Volvo's as well :D) and used them for three weeks solid riding in NZ and are my go to boot for dry weather, day rides. Very comfortable, on and off the bike, and indeed the access is very good with the side zip, and they do have a waterproof membrane so although the low height and the fact it's not Goretex wouldn't make me trust them to keep my pinkies dry in proper rain they have been fine on wet roads, light rain. I would say they don't feel as secure and safe as my Daytona Strive GTX's but then not much does. 

I wouldn't think however they are much if any better than a proper safety boot although personally I wouldn't go for one with a thick treaded sole like you've shown as not enough feel on the controls for me buts that personal taste. IMO a shorty boot is going to offer less protection than a 'proper' calf length, well made boot so once you've made that leap of faith then not much if any difference between the Falco's and the one you show for protection. Not sure on comfort and breathability though on the safety boot.

Thosoneill

Daytona are probably the best motorcycle boot on the market 

• Like 2

bahnstormer

I've got a pair of these https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/407934 (In brown, I too like Volvo's :D).  Very comfy, waterproof and side zip entry.  They're also available in black if you're not a Volvo fan :lol:

Edited by bahnstormer

Andy m

I've never had safety boots with anything in the sole to stop the toe cap rolling back onto the toe. They are designed to stop things falling on you rather than you kicking things at high speed. 

There are different CE standards because of the directions of impact. 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gringo

My eldest lad has a pair of Dunlop Rigger Boots. Says they're most comfortable boots he's ever worn on the bike. 100% waterproof too. They're not side zipped though. 

Chris750

Boots are another item Motorcyclists seem to pay through the nose for, my last couple of pairs have been the Tuzo brand from M&P, waterproof (tested) and Velcro side closure, I don't have much luck with zips! All for £50 ish.

• Like 2

kayz1

I was going to say about the rigger/work boots and the toe turning back...Andy beat me:niceone:

I will not on a family site show you the pics of Tony's toes from his off 6 years ago in rigger

boots.

Edited by kayz1
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Trev
7 minutes ago, Gringo said:

My eldest lad has a pair of Dunlop Rigger Boots. Says they're most comfortable boots he's ever worn on the bike. 100% waterproof too. They're not side zipped though. 

I've got an old pair or Riggers for tramping around our building site of a garden and house while it's being refurbed, agree comfy and waterproof and very sturdy but deffo not for riding a bike, way too clunky and likely to come off too easily in an accident. Better than trainers if that's all he can afford (hey, we've all been there) but when I couldn't afford/justify new boots and other kit, I always managed to get some decent second hand kit off fleabay. I've still got some blue (yes blue!! :frantics:) Sidi Vertigo sportsboots that I bought for £30 about ten years ago for a track day and I'm sure they still offer more protection now than a pair of non bike boots ....... can be a mite uncomfy though :D

• Like 1

Mr Toad

Andy and Kaz1 beat me to it.

Stay away from safety boots when riding, they could neatly remove the end of your foot. 

Go for proper bike boots every time.

• Thanks 1

Haggard Rider

Advice heeded, thanks all.

• Like 1

Gringo
4 hours ago, Trev said:

...but deffo not for riding a bike, way too clunky and likely to come off too easily in an accident. Better than trainers if that's all he can afford (hey, we've all been there) but when I couldn't afford/justify new boots and other kit, I always managed to get some decent second hand kit off fleabay. 

Yes, quite right of course, far better than trainers will ever be too. I remember back in the day wearing a pair of Derri Boots just so I could have dry feet when I got to work :yes:

• Like 2

Rocker66

Due to my injury I can’t get normal bike boots on as the top of my foot is permanently swollen meaning I can’t get  it round the throat of the boot. My solution is to wear lace up TCX motorcycle ankle boots. So far this is the only make that produce a waterproof version that I can wear as most have an inner waterproof membrane that again I can’t get my feet into. The TCX ones that I have are made of a waterproof material and on the recent ride back from the 1066 meet in torrential rain kept my feet dry.

• Like 1

Gringo

The best motorcycle boots I've ever had were Alberg's Clubman style boots. So warm and dry they were unbelievable. They do made to measure as well but this is very expensive as you'd appreciate. So wish I could afford another pair.

Rev Ken
5 hours ago, Thosoneill said:

Daytona are probably the best motorcycle boot on the market 

I prefer Altbergs - last for years, great (waterproof) comfortable boots. Made in Richmond N Yorkshire. Worth a visit, you can get them made to measure if your feet are 'different'. Favourite boots for Police riders.

• Like 1

Jamesco
7 hours ago, Haggard Rider said:

Have similar now... https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/311821 but there are times when pushing my foot in is too painful, hence the desire for a side zip.

They (the RST) do have a side zip although not all the way to sole

7 hours ago, DMB said:

Crumbs!  See what you mean about "power rangers".  Were they a panic purchase?  A good thing you don't ride a Deauville.

A bit of dirt on & no-one gives a toss 😆

Edited by Jamesco

Rocker66
7 hours ago, DMB said:

I used to wear something very similar as they were comfortable and waterproof and thar was when I was commuting on  a Deauville .

lipsee

I cannot recommend Falco,s enough,,,I have a pair of Mixi,s ,cost me £130...(but the brand has become popular since then and now priced accordingly) they look the part ,plus fully open up to get on,,, and have to adjustable buckles....  regarding work boots,,, Honestly its just not worth it,,,get some good riding boots,pay the money and have done with it...

CFB

Safety boots are designed to protect your feet/toes from impact from above. The soles have little sideways reinforcement.

Bike boots are designed to protect your feet from front/side impact. The have high sideways strength.

So, it’s horses for courses. Simple.

• Like 1