Jump to content
Haggard Rider

Motorcycle boots or safety boots?

Recommended Posts

Delboy777

Sidi adventures for me, every time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66

I know that my surgeon told me that had I not been wearing proper bike boots I would probably have lost my foot.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Haggard Rider

Being both of restricted budget and a Yorkshireman by birth (Saltaire to be precise), I went for these...

 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/484132

 

...very comfortable indeed. Have worn them for a day, in the house admittedly, and very good too - so much easier to get on and off and not clumpy.

Share this post


Link to post
bazza

I always wear daytona boots for the following reasons

  • all day comfortable
  • easy to get in/out of with zips down both sides
  • properly waterproof-sttod in a stream to test!
  • they last and dont "announce their presence"!

I am sure there are others just as good but I dont want to change! Try some

bazza

 

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
50 minutes ago, bazza said:

I always wear daytona boots for the following reasons

  • all day comfortable
  • easy to get in/out of with zips down both sides
  • properly waterproof-sttod in a stream to test!
  • they last and dont "announce their presence"!

I am sure there are others just as good but I dont want to change! Try some

bazza

 

 

Always been a fan but could never bring myself to part with that amount of money for a pair of boots. It makes no sense when you consider the number of people wearing top quality gear who only ride a few hundred miles and almost never in the rain while I ride several thousand in all weather.

 

As an illustration of just how senseless it is my current summer boots, several years old, are no longer waterproof There's a small leak on the right boot where the upper meets the sole near the ball of the foot. Odd it's the right boot, the left that does all the gear work would make more sense...............anyhoo.

 

Did I go out and buy a nice, if cheaper, pair of new waterproof summer boots? No I didn't, I wear a pair of waterproof socks that I got from Aldi. :angel:  I did have another pair of summer boots, a Triumph pair from the Bonneville days, but I wore those out. Last years trip to the Dolomites finished them off, they were literally falling apart by the time I got home.

 

I need someone to give me a good talking to about getting a decent pair.

Edited by Mr Toad
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
bazza
8 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

 

Always been a fan but could never bring myself to part with that amount of money for a pair of boots. It makes no sense when you consider the number of people wearing top quality gear who only ride a few hundred miles and almost never in the rain while I ride several thousand in all weather.

 

As an illustration of just how senseless it is my current summer boots, several years old, are no longer waterproof There's a small leak on the right boot where the upper meets the sole near the ball of the foot. Odd it's the right boot, the left that does all the gear work would make more sense...............anyhoo.

 

Did I go out and buy a nice, if cheaper, pair of new waterproof summer boots? No I didn't, I wear a pair of waterproof socks that I got from Aldi. :angel:  I did have another pair of summer boots, a Triumph pair from the Bonneville days, but I wore those out. Last years trip to the Dolomites finished them off, they were literally falling apart by the time I got home.

 

I need someone to give me a good talking to about getting a decent pair.

Ok lets put it like this.Whats the point of buying a bike costing many thousands-then even more sticking  stuff on it to make it "yours" then go for a long ride and be miserable because of a piece of kit? I can cope with most weather -drowned a phone in a outside pocket in Belgium on way back from Poland,and caught in snow blizzard in the Altas returning from the Sahara fringe -but cold wet feet is my personal no no! So you have ONE LIFE -will a pair of boots stop your kids from eating?  Dont be a prat and buy some!

bazza

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
12 hours ago, Haggard Rider said:

Being both of restricted budget and a Yorkshireman by birth (Saltaire to be precise), I went for these...

 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/484132

 

...very comfortable indeed. Have worn them for a day, in the house admittedly, and very good too - so much easier to get on and off and not clumpy.


They look like a good buy. Proper CE certification for the job and not at all expensive. :niceone:

  • Sigh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Mason, I agree with Baz. I can put up with a lot of things, but cold/wet feet ain’t one of them. 
 

It’s not like you’re actually short of dosh, eh? I laughed out loud when he said “a pair of boots won’t stop your kids eating” :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
1 hour ago, bazza said:

Ok lets put it like this.Whats the point of buying a bike costing many thousands-then even more sticking  stuff on it to make it "yours" then go for a long ride and be miserable because of a piece of kit? I can cope with most weather -drowned a phone in a outside pocket in Belgium on way back from Poland,and caught in snow blizzard in the Altas returning from the Sahara fringe -but cold wet feet is my personal no no! So you have ONE LIFE -will a pair of boots stop your kids from eating?  Dont be a prat and buy some!

bazza

 

 

Bazza, it's worse than that.................

 

Most of the shoes I own are handmade. My first pair, plain black, were made for me when I was 23 and they still look fantastic and fit properly. Over the years I have bought other pairs, brown, brogues, desert wellies, brogue boots, dress shoes all of them will still be around long after me. Even taking into account what they cost I've probably spent less on shoes over the last 40 years than many people over the same period.

 

My only mass produced ones are walking boots and shoes and my motorcycle boots. To be fair my boots are very comfy and warm and until last December perfectly waterproof  but that's not the point. In fact the BMW is due a big service including valve check and shaft drive oil change which I shall be doing myself, the money I won't be handing over to BMW will more than cover the cost of a pair of Daytona boots. I have no idea why I pick certain random things and get mean and penny pinching with them, it's bloody stupid. 

 

1 hour ago, Tex said:

Mason, I agree with Baz. I can put up with a lot of things, but cold/wet feet ain’t one of them. 
 

It’s not like you’re actually short of dosh, eh? I laughed out loud when he said “a pair of boots won’t stop your kids eating” :) 

 

Gentlemen, I thank you for giving me the talking to I needed, I am a prat....................New boots here I come.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
roddy

My Altberg second hand boots I bought from Denton lad before he passed were brilliant and I have just replaced them. I got a pair of Alpinestars web goretex boots in a sale which have just got the best buy triangle from Ride magazine. There product testing and recommendations are mostly spot on which is why I subscribe. 

Their

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

Well the Enfield went into Bob Minions in Derby today for its first service. While I was in the showroom I noticed that they had Daytona boots, albeit £50 more than Spotsbikeshop, so I decided to try a pair on. 

 

The bad news is that they don't fit me, the 44s were way too tight across the toes but the right length while the 45s were way too long. I tried two different models but both were the same. I then tried the wide fitting ones and they were too wide, OK for the toes but too wide round the instep leaving my foot floating around in them.

 

Disappointing but at least it saved me ordering a pair on-line and having to return them. 

 

#need to find a different make of waterproof touring boots that fit and are comfortable to walk in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

 

34 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

 

#need to find a different make of waterproof touring boots that fit and are comfortable to walk in. 

 

Fire up the GS and head for my old hometown of Richmond, North Yorks. Hopefully Altberg will see you right. For decent pub food try the Town Hall pub in the marketplace. :niceone:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
bazza
2 hours ago, Tex said:

 

 

Fire up the GS and head for my old hometown of Richmond, North Yorks. Hopefully Altberg will see you right. For decent pub food try the Town Hall pub in the marketplace. :niceone:

this sounds like a plan-post Covid .A stay in a pub,good food and drink and some bespoke boots maybe? I am up for it Tex -you can be chef du jour -or leader !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
2 hours ago, Tex said:

 

 

Fire up the GS and head for my old hometown of Richmond, North Yorks. Hopefully Altberg will see you right. For decent pub food try the Town Hall pub in the marketplace. :niceone:

Spot on. They have numerous models and if none fit, they'll make a pair for you! They last for yeeeeeeeeeearssssssssssss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Trev
17 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Well the Enfield went into Bob Minions in Derby today for its first service. While I was in the showroom I noticed that they had Daytona boots, albeit £50 more than Spotsbikeshop, so I decided to try a pair on. 

 

The bad news is that they don't fit me, the 44s were way too tight across the toes but the right length while the 45s were way too long. I tried two different models but both were the same. I then tried the wide fitting ones and they were too wide, OK for the toes but too wide round the instep leaving my foot floating around in them.

 

Disappointing but at least it saved me ordering a pair on-line and having to return them. 

 

#need to find a different make of waterproof touring boots that fit and are comfortable to walk in. 

 

Being German, I expect Daytona can arrange to get your feet changed so that they do fit :thumbsup:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
4 hours ago, Trev said:

 

Being German, I expect Daytona can arrange to get your feet changed so that they do fit :thumbsup:

 

Funny you should say that............

 

I spoke to Sportsbikeshop on the phone this morning to enquire about the sizing of a pair of Alpinestars I was thinking about trying. I explained what had happened with the Daytona boots I tried and she said why don't I pop over to Boston, she could 90% guarantee she could find a pair of Daytona boots to fit me especially as I was enquiring after shorter summer boots. 

 

It seems the pairs I tried on were full on four season boots and Daytona do a couple of pairs of shorter three season boots that are apparently a different fit. Something they do so that just about every foot shape and size is covered. As I do have a pair of full on adventure boots that are great on cold days but far to hot in the summer I'm going to ride over there tomorrow and find out if she's right, it's only 50 miles.

 

Watch this space........................... 

Edited by Mr Toad
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rev Ken
4 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

 

Funny you should say that............

 

I spoke to Sportsbikeshop on the phone this morning to enquire about the sizing of a pair of Alpinestars I was thinking about trying. I explained what had happened with the Daytona boots I tried and she said why don't I pop over to Boston, she could 90% guarantee she could find a pair of Daytona boots to fit me especially as I was enquiring after shorter summer boots. 

 

It seems the pairs I tried on were full on four season boots and Daytona do a couple of pairs of shorter three season boots that are apparently a different fit. Something they do so that just about every foot shape and size is covered. As I do have a pair of full on adventure boots that are great on cold days but far to hot in the summer I'm going to ride over there tomorrow and find out if she's right, it's only 50 miles.

 

Watch this space........................... 

Sportsbike Shop helped me out with my problem when buying a new jacket and trousers. Being vertically challenged with a middle aged spread most trousers are too long with knee protection too low. That was easy to resolve, but I needed a touring jacket for all seasons with side pockets big enough to take a spectacle case. I also wanted a light coloured or Hi Viz jacket. The lass I spoke to went into their warehouse and tried various jackets with a spectacle case until she found one that met my specifications. It wasn't Hi Viz, but it met everything else.  Appropriately it is a REVIT...:angel:  Since I bought a Hi Viz Helite Turtle air jacket I've got what I want with the best protection this ancient body can get. It was also at a very reasonable price.I'll use them again. :flowers:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
15 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Sportsbike Shop helped me out with my problem when buying a new jacket and trousers. Being vertically challenged with a middle aged spread most trousers are too long with knee protection too low. That was easy to resolve, but I needed a touring jacket for all seasons with side pockets big enough to take a spectacle case. I also wanted a light coloured or Hi Viz jacket. The lass I spoke to went into their warehouse and tried various jackets with a spectacle case until she found one that met my specifications. It wasn't Hi Viz, but it met everything else.  Appropriately it is a REVIT...:angel:  Since I bought a Hi Viz Helite Turtle air jacket I've got what I want with the best protection this ancient body can get. It was also at a very reasonable price.I'll use them again. :flowers:

 

When I rang them I had quite a conversation with them. They are obviously more than happy to post boots out for you to try but she said that apart from the Daytona boots they had plenty of other shorter summer boots and if I was prepared to take a little road trip they would fix me up with suitable boots that fitted me perfectly at whatever quality level and price point I wanted. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

I have bought all of my gear from there for years. They recently opened one up in Reading too which is a manageable distance away, might have to trundle up there rather than order over the internet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad

Yet again Sportsbikeshop have come good. I have to confess to being a little sceptical of their claim that they were sure they could fit me with a pair of Daytona boots. I was quite prepared to look at other brands, in particular the Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots that get the Ride magazine best buy this month

 

I arrived and they sat me down and brought out a selection of Daytona boots as promised, the first pair I tried on, the Daytona Journey GTX, and the fitted me like a glove. Very comfortable right from the off and a completely different fit to the two types I tried in Derby.  I did try the Alpinestars and they too are a fantastic nice fitting boot but not quite as comfortable as the Daytona boots.

 

I now have boots that don't leak and are very comfortable to walk in. I am assured they will get even more comfortable as they bed in to my feet. Wore them on the ride home and very pleased.

20200917-181108.jpg 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Trev

Very nice :thumbsup:

 

I bought the slightly narrower Strive GTX and, although I'm very pleased with them (had them 3 years, of course no leaks, still look in great condition and I feel well protected every time I pull them on), on longer, warm weather rides, they can feel a bit tight as my feet swell. Hopefully my weight loss will continue (16lbs in last six weeks) with a disproportinate amount of flab slipping away from my ankles and below :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

How much were the boots, Mason?
 

Sir Trev, congratulations on the weight loss! :niceone:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
23 minutes ago, Tex said:

How much were the boots, Mason?
 

Sir Trev, congratulations on the weight loss! :niceone:

 

They were £206. 

 

The Alpinestars Web GTX were £159 and were excellent but the build quality of the Daytonas was so much better and well worth the extra £50.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Trev
22 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

 

They were £206. 

 

The Alpinestars Web GTX were £159 and were excellent but the build quality of the Daytonas was so much better and well worth the extra £50.

 

Blimey, that's a bargain, I won't tell you how much I paid for my Son's Road Star gtx's last year :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Trev said:

 

Blimey, that's a bargain, I won't tell you how much I paid for my Son's Road Star gtx's last year :(

 

Sportsbikeshop always seem to have the best deals but I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×