Jump to content
Rocker66

Test ride arranged

Recommended Posts

Rocker66

Unfortunately with heavy heart I had to return the CB650R To Kent M/Cs today and collect my CB500X. I must confess to taking a long route to get there as it was most enjoyable

whilst we were there I arranged that one day day next week subject to weather conditions I can have a decent test ride not on a CB650R but on the CMX500 Rebel special edition a bike Im seriously thinking about.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy

The Rebel is a lovely bike. It may not be what the heart still yearns, but its so easy to manage, eminently comfortable and does look good.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
1 minute ago, Spindizzy said:

The Rebel is a lovely bike. It may not be what the heart still yearns, but its so easy to manage, eminently comfortable and does look good.

 

True and once again the heart versus head battle needs to be won by the latter.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM

I put Roxy in for her 600 mile service today  and was given the Rebel demonstrator I took out originally. No one has ridden it since I rode it by the mileage on it. 
Great bikes, I have grinned all day (still took long way home on Roxy, because....well no rush was there). Will take your hip and knee some used to being at a different angle, at least, it did for me, but I did 1066 to home without stopping to relieve my bottom, but you can get other saddles.
 

Question from your other topic when you mentioned the 650 was not practical, can I ask why it wasn’t? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
12 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I put Roxy in for her 600 mile service today  and was given the Rebel demonstrator I took out originally. No one has ridden it since I rode it by the mileage on it. 
Great bikes, I have grinned all day (still took long way home on Roxy, because....well no rush was there). Will take your hip and knee some used to being at a different angle, at least, it did for me, but I did 1066 to home without stopping to relieve my bottom, but you can get other saddles.
 

Question from your other topic when you mentioned the 650 was not practical, can I ask why it wasn’t? 

Mainly because lack of carrying capacity. I like to leave my helmet in the top box and also carry a walking stick should I get a problem with my foot whilst out. A top box on the CB650R would be ridiculous but I think I could get away with a small one on the Rebel.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
2 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Mainly because lack of carrying capacity. I like to leave my helmet in the top box and also carry a walking stick should I get a problem with my foot whilst out. A top box on the CB650R would be ridiculous but I think I could get away with a small one on the Rebel.

 

Small one won’t fit a helmet and would that not look odd on a Rebel which is more “leather throw over” type of bike? 650 would look better with a top box then a rebel? Google images, it’s not pretty. 

 

As for walking stick, I have bought a collapsible stick for hiking for £4.99 it’s telescopic enough to put on my Givi tail rack with ROK straps. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
12 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

As for walking stick, I have bought a collapsible stick for hiking for £4.99 it’s telescopic enough to put on my Givi tail rack with ROK straps. 

They're brilliant they are. The upper section is usually telescopic for fine adjustment for length. My late father in law had one. He used to be very adept at assembling it simply with a flick of the wrist. It ignored the laws of physics, wiggled itself from a zed bend into an arrow against the shock cord. Marvellous to watch! 

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
16 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

 

Small one won’t fit a helmet and would that not look odd on a Rebel which is more “leather throw over” type of bike? 650 would look better with a top box then a rebel? Google images, it’s not pretty. 

 

As for walking stick, I have bought a collapsible stick for hiking for £4.99 it’s telescopic enough to put on my Givi tail rack with ROK straps. 

Mine is a folding one. . I don’t want to use soft luggage having had all my camping gear stolen whilst using it years ago. At least a top box gives a bit more security. When I refer to a small top box I mean one big enough to take a helmet yet small enough to not even look over big on a 125 . In my opinion a top box on a CB650R would look far more stupid. 
The main reason I’m considering a change is that I’m finding it more difficult to flat foot when on the CB500X even though it’s lowered. My choice of bike is getting very limited these days.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
1 hour ago, larryblag said:

They're brilliant they are. The upper section is usually telescopic for fine adjustment for length. My late father in law had one. He used to be very adept at assembling it simply with a flick of the wrist. It ignored the laws of physics, wiggled itself from a zed bend into an arrow against the shock cord. Marvellous to watch! 

 

1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

Mine is a folding one. . I don’t want to use soft luggage having had all my camping gear stolen whilst using it years ago. At least a top box gives a bit more security. When I refer to a small top box I mean one big enough to take a helmet yet small enough to not even look over big on a 125 . In my opinion a top box on a CB650R would look far more stupid. 
The main reason I’m considering a change is that I’m finding it more difficult to flat foot when on the CB500X even though it’s lowered. My choice of bike is getting very limited these days.

Mine is a telescopic one rather then flick out one. 
I understand that and that would put me off,  you need to weigh up how far away do you actually walk away from your bike when you are travelling these days. The top box looks better on the 650r then it does on the Rebel because the Rebel requires it to be set quite far over the rear tyre, but that is just my opinion. 

How did you find the 650r for reaching the floor? 
 

Got to be honest this is the only bike I have ever been able to flat foot, the rest have all been tippy toes, the Forza was higher than my NC750S. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
1 minute ago, PoppetM said:

 

Mine is a telescopic one rather then flick out one. 
I understand that and that would put me off,  you need to weigh up how far away do you actually walk away from your bike when you are travelling these days. The top box looks better on the 650r then it does on the Rebel because the Rebel requires it to be set quite far over the rear tyre, but that is just my opinion. 

How did you find the 650r for reaching the floor? 
 

Got to be honest this is the only bike I have ever been able to flat foot, the rest have all been tippy toes, the Forza was higher than my NC750S. 

I could flat foot one foot no problem and I could also swing my leg over to get on and off easier. Since the accident tip toeing is completely ruled out . As to the walking it’s not so much distance as type of  ground. If it’s uneven or involves going up or down loads of steps I might need the stick.

Share this post


Link to post
PoppetM
Just now, Rocker66 said:

I could flat foot one foot no problem and I could also swing my leg over to get on and off easier. Since the accident tip toeing is completely ruled out . As to the walking it’s not so much distance as type of  ground. If it’s uneven or involves going up or down loads of steps I might need the stick.

See how you get on, but I think performance wise and being able to flat foot one foot the 650 may suit you better. You have had the Rebel as a loan so you know what I mean when engine seems laboured, the 300cc Forza was faster getting up to speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
Just now, PoppetM said:

See how you get on, but I think performance wise and being able to flat foot one foot the 650 may suit you better. You have had the Rebel as a loan so you know what I mean when engine seems laboured, the 300cc Forza was faster getting up to speed.

Apparently the new ones engine has a bit more oomph especially low down. I’ll find out if that’s true next week. Certainly every report I have seen says that the suspension is better.

As I said in my post on the CB650R whilst I found it fun I don’t think it’s a bike I could live with especially considering the seat and bars over longer rides.

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

354249-FC-627-F-4-B17-B079-B1-E1-EC302-C

 

Well, that’s absolutely hideous to my eyes. And quite possibly dangerous. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

The Rebel is one of those bikes I really *want* to like but the two occasions I rode them I just...couldn't. Gearing felt off compared to the CBs and the seating position really didn't agree with me at all. That being said the 2020 might resolve those issues.

 

The SHAD top box kit looks slightly less flimsy compared to the Givi kits, see below. It looks better to my eye than the Givi stuff...

 

naZ88icuU5IJnL5rLB5VTpEWFed3qJeSTBvqXDlk

Just out of academic curiosity if the Rebel is on the radar would a Kawasaki Vulcan S also be a potential? 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
26 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

The Rebel is one of those bikes I really *want* to like but the two occasions I rode them I just...couldn't. Gearing felt off compared to the CBs and the seating position really didn't agree with me at all. That being said the 2020 might resolve those issues.

 

The SHAD top box kit looks slightly less flimsy compared to the Givi kits, see below. It looks better to my eye than the Givi stuff...

 

naZ88icuU5IJnL5rLB5VTpEWFed3qJeSTBvqXDlk

Just out of academic curiosity if the Rebel is on the radar would a Kawasaki Vulcan S also be a potential? 

No as I want to stick with Honda as I have such a good dealer plus I find the Vulcan S unattractive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
sandalfarm

I suppose  if it's only to put your helmet  in when you are walking about it might  be ok but wouldn't  want to ride about with a crate of beer in it , hanging over the back  as it is

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
37 minutes ago, Tex said:

354249-FC-627-F-4-B17-B079-B1-E1-EC302-C

 

Well, that’s absolutely hideous to my eyes. And quite possibly dangerous. 

I was thinking of a smaller one similar to that on our CB125. Also the heaviest think it would contain would be my helmet and then only when stationary. Usually I only carry my stick a spare pair of gloves and in summer a sweatshirt in case it turns cooler in the evening..

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66

So if I continue to have problems with the CB500X and according to you guys a Rebel with a top box is a no no what would you suggest as an alternative?Remember it has to be low and reasonably light plus reasonably priced. Please don’t suggest a scooter or a Yamaha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy
11 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

So if I continue to have problems with the CB500X and according to you guys a Rebel with a top box is a no no what would you suggest as an alternative?Remember it has to be low and reasonably light plus reasonably priced. Please don’t suggest a scooter or a Yamaha. 

Who cares about a top box. Its behind you. I can ride for miles with my top box oblivious it's even there. When stopped who am I trying to impress?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Dunnster

Would be better if the rear rack was reversed so the top box was over the pillion seat. 

Im sure a fabricator could make something. Even removing the seat and having a top box mount made to fit in its place would be an idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy
4 minutes ago, Dunnster said:

Would be better if the rear rack was reversed so the top box was over the pillion seat. 

Im sure a fabricator could make something. Even removing the seat and having a top box mount made to fit in its place would be an idea.

Like this

 

s-l400.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Dunnster
1 minute ago, Spindizzy said:

Like this

 

s-l400.jpg

 

Yeah! :niceone:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Spindizzy

There is always Harley for a lower seat, like the Sportster. Might be heavy tho?

 

Iron 883 is low

Edited by Spindizzy

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
5 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

There is always Harley for a lower seat, like the Sportster. Might be heavy tho?

 

Iron 883 is low


A top box on a Harley Sportster? :) 

 

The rack you showed replacing the pillion pad would do the trick and bring the weight forward into somewhere close to the triangle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

For the sake of aesthetic comparison, the below uses the "pillion replacement rack". I rather like the little screen thats fitted to it as well though I'm not convinced by me nans carpet on the seat. :angel:

 

honda-rebel-jh.jpg?width=640

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×