Rocker66

Test ride arranged

Rocker66

A  supermarket manager who was a regular customer in the pub I used to use was always banging on to me about the train service. One evening he came into the pub with his extended family for a meal as soon as they sat down I went over to him and started moaning about the price of baked beans going up. He got really irate telling me that he was out for the evening and not at work. His face was a picture when I said “ nor am I when you have a go at me about trains”. He never mentioned trains to me again 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tex
7 hours ago, Chris750 said:

Since leaving the motor trade after 40 odd years I quite enjoy driving now, it helps not having to deal with 🔔🔚 Audi customers every bloody day.

I actually, almost, enjoy distance driving - holidays and that. And I rather like driving the big motorhome. But I hate the local/around town malarkey and just don’t do it. It’s the buss pass (with the dog) for me! The dog is partly to blame for my motorcycle mileage dropping - I hate leaving him at home. 🥺

Loving the bell end emoticon :D 

• Like 4

Tel

Same here! When I left the Fire Brigade in 96 I worked at Johns of Romford  and everyone I knew thought I'd found my dream job surrounded by bikes every day; I could only stand it for 18 months. Every time I was out somebody would collar me about a bike-related problem or issue and my hobby and lifelong passion turned into a chore. 

Cars leave me cold because I can't abide sitting in queues looking at the gap I would have been through on the bike and thinking of how much time I was wasting sitting watching the clock count the minutes passing.

I also don't understand how anyone can work in retail and deal with the public every day without wanting to kill... I never realised until 96 how truly rude and objectionable people can be.

• Like 2

MatBin
10 hours ago, Chris750 said:

Since leaving the motor trade after 40 odd years I quite enjoy driving now, it helps not having to deal with 🔔🔚 Audi customers every bloody day.

Three months after I'd left I was in the queue in Costa and a customer recognised me and started banging on about his car, I let him finish picked up my coffee and politely said "You know what? I really couldn't give a f#ck" 

Very satisfying and that coffee tasted extra good.

I feel like that about (most) Audi drivers (love the emoticon) and I dont even work in the motor trade :)

Edited by MatBin
  • Thanks 1

MatBin
3 hours ago, Tex said:

I actually, almost, enjoy distance driving - holidays and that. And I rather like driving the big motorhome. But I hate the local/around town malarkey and just don’t do it. It’s the buss pass (with the dog) for me! The dog is partly to blame for my motorcycle mileage dropping - I hate leaving him at home. 🥺

Felt like that about local driving until I got an auto car.

Hickky
3 hours ago, Tel said:

Cars leave me cold because I can't abide sitting in queues looking at the gap I would have been through on the bike and thinking of how much time I was wasting sitting watching the clock count the minutes passing.

Just remember that cold is the last thing that's normally experienced in a car. You can look sidewise to your fellow motorists and turn up the volume of your AC/DC and shout along. If you drive a BMW you can look in your mirrors and wait for a motorcyclist approaching, then close the gap, what a jolly jape. 

• Haha 3

slowboy
21 hours ago, Chris750 said:

Three months after I'd left I was in the queue in Costa and a customer recognised me and started banging on about his car, I let him finish picked up my coffee and politely said "You know what? I really couldn't give a f#ck" 

Very satisfying and that coffee tasted extra good.

I can imagine chris😁 The other point of view as someone who bought a F'ing Audi (it was always the F'ing Audi) with his own hard earned, new, it was the most unreliable piece of junk I've ever owned. It did not help that the dealership, in Plymouth, seemed incapable of understanding how their (my) car worked nor why it ceased to do so on a monotonously regular basis. My blood pressure recovered tremendously when I traded it for a Volvo😂😂

A1 1.6 diesel.........🤪

• Like 1

Chris750
46 minutes ago, slowboy said:

A1 1.6 diesel.........🤪

Worst engine in a badged up Polo, big mistake 🤔

• Haha 1

baben

That would be the one they put in the Skoda Fabia? Horrible thing, put me right off Skodas - and that was the fifth I'd owned too.

Ciaran1602

My only experience with a VAG car I've owned had that 1.6Tdi in an Ibiza. Stout little motor but was ridiculously noisy, wasn't overtly economical for the size of car, chewed through oil and absolutely hated cold morning starts. Car itself had tracking problems from the day I bought it that no one could seem to fix or work out and it had ridiculously sized tyres for a small hatchback so cost me £140 a tyre. One of those things you look back at and go why did I do this?

Trev
1 minute ago, Ciaran1602 said:

My only experience with a VAG car I've owned had that 1.6Tdi in an Ibiza. Stout little motor but was ridiculously noisy, wasn't overtly economical for the size of car, chewed through oil and absolutely hated cold morning starts. Car itself had tracking problems from the day I bought it that no one could seem to fix or work out and it had ridiculously sized tyres for a small hatchback so cost me £140 a tyre. One of those things you look back at and go why did I do this?

I look back on most of my cars like that, Fiat Uno Turbo anyone? :D

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Chris750
15 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

That engine, in all its guises only seemed to work well in the Leon, can't remember the engine code cos there many different ones, it was also the engine that gave most trouble after the emissions fix, injectors, DPF, turbo's and EGR to name a few.

Ciaran1602
46 minutes ago, Trev said:

Old Fiat so...drove great, went like stink for the size, dissolved like paracetamol in water? :) 

28 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

That engine, in all its guises only seemed to work well in the Leon, can't remember the engine code cos there many different ones, it was also the engine that gave most trouble after the emissions fix, injectors, DPF, turbo's and EGR to name a few.

Yeah, my old man had a 1.6TDi Leon DSG as a company car before he bugged out of private social working as they were mercantile assholes. Faultless thing, drive very nicely and was highly economical. Just seems in certain applications it never quite worked.

Now that you mention DPF issues I bought mine at 18k on the clock, 3 years old. DPF issues pretty much the moment I drove off the forecourt. Fortunately I was driving to and from Derby at the time every other weekend so it cleared itself up. Wasnt looking forward to the fight with the dealer over that one. :angel:

baben
52 minutes ago, Trev said:

Hmm, gearbox spring (??) went in my Uno. Not as embarrassing as the two clutch cables that went on my Panda at inopportune moments. Rear hatch on the Panda replaced under warranty within a year because of rust - and I was living in Essex at the time, in semi desert conditions......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trev
4 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

Old Fiat so...drove great, went like stink for the size, dissolved like paracetamol in water? :) 

Ha ha, nearly right although I never saw any rust in mine in the three years I had it (it was only three years old when I got it), in fact it was immaculate when I sold it, unlike the VW Scirroco that it replaced which, although a very nice car, was rusted out in several places even though only eight years old. Only thing that went 'wrong' with the Uno was when I smashed off the drivers door mirror on a wall when using 'all the road' on another early hours dash home to play footie, I blame the car as that's how it made me drive it :cry:

The little Fiat had a 1300 turbo engine with the turbo installation designed by Ferrari engineers, its light weight and relatively high power (for 1986 at least) made it a pocket rocket. A mate of mine had one of the first 16v Golf Gti's and I well remember being up his chuff (so to speak :whistle:) all along the A338 during one early morning return from Bournemouth. He said the VW speedo was showing 'over 130' although I never saw more than 125 on the Fiat, whatever the real speed, it felt darn quick. It was even better on back roads, brilliant grip and handling and the way it pulled all the way up the redline in every gear made it almost as much fun as my gixxer at the time - well not quite :devil:

Sold it as Daughter no. 1 came along and three doors and small boot made it a bit impractical. Replaced it with a Citreon BX Gti, that was quite quick as well :whistle:

Chris750
31 minutes ago, baben said:

Hmm, gearbox spring (??) went in my Uno. Not as embarrassing as the two clutch cables that went on my Panda at inopportune moments. Rear hatch on the Panda replaced under warranty within a year because of rust - and I was living in Essex at the time, in semi desert conditions......

We had an Uno turbo run around when I was at TVR, it regularly lost 5th gear, about every two weeks, it ended up being a test for the apprentice to fix, he got the job down to 45 minutes in the end.

• Haha 1

slowboy
6 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

oh yes, had a Fiat X1/9 1.5 (ugly bumper one) you could hear it fizz in the rain😂. The only thing that didn’t rust was the glass.......,😂😂

Edited by slowboy
Hear not here
  • Haha 2

bahnstormer

I once had a pair or Renault 5 GT Turbos.  You could almost watch them starting to collapse in anything damper than a light fog.  Bloody good fun though!  One of them had a NOS system fitted by a previous owner - utterly terrifying!

Edited by bahnstormer
  • Like 2

Rocker66

To return to the original topic and update it the situation is as follows. The idea of the Rebel is a non starter and as I can’t find another Honda suitable I have ordered a R&G side stand boot and am going to try to get used to mounting using the one foot on the left footrest method.

• Like 2

Haggard Rider
15 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

To return to the original topic and update it the situation is as follows. The idea of the Rebel is a non starter and as I can’t find another Honda suitable I have ordered a R&G side stand boot and am going to try to get used to mounting using the one foot on the left footrest method.

Even though I have no problems cocking my leg over (mmm, will Ted auto-censor that?), if I park a bit tight either outside or in the garage, I use this method using both side stand and centre stand - never been an issue with my weight (16.5st) - and does make it a lot easier, you'll be fine Rocker

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocker66
13 minutes ago, Haggard Rider said:

Even though I have no problems cocking my leg over (mmm, will Ted auto-censor that?), if I park a bit tight either outside or in the garage, I use this method using both side stand and centre stand - never been an issue with my weight (16.5st) - and does make it a lot easier, you'll be fine Rocker

I only have the side stand as operating the centre stand is too painful.

Chris750
37 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I only have the side stand as operating the centre stand is too painful.

With all the technology available these days I'm surprised there is no automated centre stand, that would be pretty cool.

• Like 1

Andy m
7 hours ago, Chris750 said:

With all the technology available these days I'm surprised there is no automated centre stand, that would be pretty cool.

The Americans (of course) make one for Goldwings and Harleys and I believe you can specify one on K1600LT's? On such lardy behemoths I doubt you notice the weight you are lugging about (motor, gearbox, linkages etc) , but I wouldn't want one on any bike I'd buy. I also believe the BMW one (as expected) comes with a lawyers letter about not sitting on it while the stand deploys. 

Andy

Tex

Rudge, Vincent (and maybe others) had a centre stand deployed by a lever that lay ‘flat’ whilst riding (think of a car handbrake). Rudge failed to survive WWII and the last Vinnie was made in 1955, so it’s not new technology. But it’s filed in the same bin as actual mudguards and chain enclosure.. :( 

• Like 1

larryblag
On 16/09/2020 at 06:59, Tex said:

Our recent Wales trip was a treat for us but especially for dear old Roo. She had a lovely time with us. Normally by now we'd have been abroad. We have a lovely dog sitter who adores Roo but it always feels a little selfish leaving her. Now she's 11 time with her is especially precious. We've another week booked in Devon next month (caravan again). But it depends on what the government decides in the next few weeks. 

• Like 1