Jump to content
Rocker66

Test ride arranged

Recommended Posts

larryblag
On 17/09/2020 at 17:44, slowboy said:


oh yes, had a Fiat X1/9 1.5 (ugly bumper one) you could hear it fizz in the rain😂. The only thing that didn’t rust was the glass.......,😂😂

Lovely looking little roadster! 

I know what you mean though, about the rot. They should have fitted sacrificial anodes 😂

 

Lancia Fulvia (some people were rather unkind in their mis-pronunciation) was also a nice looking little car. It too tended to be a little too keen to revert to it's raw element. 

Edited by larryblag

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
17 minutes ago, larryblag said:

Lovely looking little roadster! 

I know what you mean though, about the rot. They should have fitted sacrificial anodes 😂

 

Lancia Fulvia (some people were rather unkind in their mis-pronunciation) was also a nice looking little car. It too tended to be a little too keen to revert to it's raw element. 


Don’t get me going about Lancias, I’d have one in a heartbeat. Sadly they are now out of my price range. I turned down a Fulvia Zagato Coupe to buy a Ford Capri in the late 80’s........

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky

When I was 17 and learning to drive, both my parents had Italian Cars. Mum had a Alfasud 1.3, cracking little car for it's day, held the road beautifully and the flat 4 produced good power. Inboard front brakes and tappet adjustment was different.

Dad had a new Lancia Fluvia 1600 HF mk 2. After the 1600E Cortina, this was a step change. It used to foul plugs and overheat round the North Circular, but on the hogs back, wonderful!

The Alfasud failed it's mot at three years old through rust but the Fluvia was fine. I was upset when it was sold to buy yet another Lancia. This was a Beta Coupe Spider with 2.0 twin cam engine and a 'targa' top. Fantastic for a 20 year old pulling on a Friday night, although when they found out it was Dads and not mine, many decided to be driven home by Derek who had a rusty Beetle.

So after 6 months, dad complained about the rust in the boot, Lancia gave him a new car! Sold at 18 months old and the journalist who bought it found it was so rusty after a further year, the 2.5 year old car was unroadworthy. Good series of articles stating how bad Lancia cars and within 2 years the firm had stopped importing into the UK.

What I really wanted was a Lancia Monte Carlo. I was told 'not to be so silly' and got a Triumph Spitfire. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

I remember lancias doing rather well at rallycross on World of Sport. Was it the Stratos? Wonder if there's any of those around now? 

Share this post


Link to post
Roders
1 hour ago, Hickky said:

It used to foul plugs and overheat round the North Circular,

The company I worked for in 83 did a deal with H R Owen who held the Lancia franchise.

I got a new 2 litre Trevi as a company car, it regularly conked out on the North Circular as well.

Gutless engine (for 2 a litre) and the most unreliable car that i ever had the displeasure of driving - the dashboard was something else though.... :yes:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
baben

The reputation of Italian cars and my experience of them is one of the reasons I would not consider an Italian bike (though to be fair my Aprilia Mana was fantastic (reliable as an anvil they say) and the boys RS125 was amazing when it was not in pieces)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag

Russ at work had an RS125. He derestricted it and it absolutely flew - then seized solid. Brand new but Aprilia wouldn't cover it under warranty. The repair bill - which was a big un was picked up by the dealer instead who thought Apriia were being a bit silly. The derestriction mods were not to blame for the failure, hardly any RS125s remained in standard tune for long. 

Share this post


Link to post
baben
9 hours ago, larryblag said:

Russ at work had an RS125. He derestricted it and it absolutely flew - then seized solid. Brand new but Aprilia wouldn't cover it under warranty. The repair bill - which was a big un was picked up by the dealer instead who thought Apriia were being a bit silly. The derestriction mods were not to blame for the failure, hardly any RS125s remained in standard tune for long. 

Yep , this was a derestricted one. Handling was superb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
13 hours ago, Hickky said:

When I was 17 and learning to drive, both my parents had Italian Cars. Mum had a Alfasud 1.3, cracking little car for it's day, held the road beautifully and the flat 4 produced good power. Inboard front brakes and tappet adjustment was different.

Dad had a new Lancia Fluvia 1600 HF mk 2. After the 1600E Cortina, this was a step change. It used to foul plugs and overheat round the North Circular, but on the hogs back, wonderful!

The Alfasud failed it's mot at three years old through rust but the Fluvia was fine. I was upset when it was sold to buy yet another Lancia. This was a Beta Coupe Spider with 2.0 twin cam engine and a 'targa' top. Fantastic for a 20 year old pulling on a Friday night, although when they found out it was Dads and not mine, many decided to be driven home by Derek who had a rusty Beetle.

So after 6 months, dad complained about the rust in the boot, Lancia gave him a new car! Sold at 18 months old and the journalist who bought it found it was so rusty after a further year, the 2.5 year old car was unroadworthy. Good series of articles stating how bad Lancia cars and within 2 years the firm had stopped importing into the UK.

What I really wanted was a Lancia Monte Carlo. I was told 'not to be so silly' and got a Triumph Spitfire. 

 

 

 In 75 Mum was on her second Toyota Celica ST which was swapped for an Alpha 2.0 GTV.  It was a fantastic car and both Mum and Dad loved it, Dad often using it instead of his V12 Jag E Type. Unfortunately it dissolved almost immediately, the solution was to replace it with another, the larger engined 2.5l GTV Coupe which also dissolved very quickly. It had a large rev counter in front of the driver with the rest of the instruments, including the speedo, in a centre binnacle so as not to distract the driver. :) 

 

To his dying day those two Alphas were mentioned in his short list of top cars owned. I got to drive both, I got my licence in 74, and they were fun.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky
14 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

To his dying day those two Alphas were mentioned in his short list of top cars owned. I got to drive both, I got my licence in 74, and they were fun.

My dad reconed his Fluvia 1600 HF was the best car he ever had, and he also had Jaguars. But my mum and Dad also thought the Jags were unreliable! The evidence of the Beta and the Alfa sort of suggested the Jags were not the worst, but the Italian jobs were so much fun (The Beta Coupe spider was a beautiful looking car when the rust didn't show. I guess that they, like me, forgave them because they were fun. (licence in 73)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
25 minutes ago, Hickky said:

My dad reconed his Fluvia 1600 HF was the best car he ever had, and he also had Jaguars. But my mum and Dad also thought the Jags were unreliable! The evidence of the Beta and the Alfa sort of suggested the Jags were not the worst, but the Italian jobs were so much fun (The Beta Coupe spider was a beautiful looking car when the rust didn't show. I guess that they, like me, forgave them because they were fun. (licence in 73)

 

My uncle had a Lancia HPE at the same time, I always thought it was another lovely looking Italian car. 

 

I think that a big part of their charm was that British cars of the same era were, in the main, dowdy in comparison,  Lancia and Alpha also were great performers. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×