Jump to content
Mister Paul

Car question -buying an ex-rental

Recommended Posts

Mister Paul

I'd be interested in your views on this.

We bought a 2017 Hyundai i30 a month ago from a dealer. We were told it had one owner. The first service wasn't in the book so I've been chasing it. I've just had an email from the dealer with an attachment confirming the first service. The confirmation was from Europcar and also confirmed that it had been a rental vehicle.

I know that views on buying ex-rentals are mixed. "Hire cars are the fastest in the world" vs "they get serviced properly" and I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. The other aspect is that the ASA state that dealers should tell potential buyers if a car is ex-lease or ex-rental, as it's a valid consideration when buying and buyers shouldn't have to ask. This is backed up by legislation.

What do you think? I know that resale value would likely be lower if the next buyer knows it's ex-hire. The car is in good condition and we've still got 2.5 years of warranty from it, but that wouldn't cover eg a trashed clutch if it goes early. Do we let it go or contact the dealer, if only to express disappointment that they didn't tell us it was ex-hire?

Share this post


Link to post
sandalfarm

We bought  a campervan that was ex hire and nearly  a year old but we knew when we looked at it as it was covered  in logos , I'd be really  upset if I only knew a month later and would be down to the garage for some recompense, it's just plain sneaky

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
DMB

If you haven't seen this, take a look at it:

 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/131406/i-was-sold-a-car-that-turned-out-to-be-an-ex-hire-car---do-i-have-any-redress-

 

Honest John in the Saturday Daily Telegraph is frequently an excellent source of good advice.  I rate him highly.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames

As you've missed this I'll add it in - "Toughest cars in the world are hire cars"

 

Previous owners are listed on the V5, what does it say on there?  Typically I always ask to see the V5 before purchase, trying to think when I last had to ask in fact as I'm pretty sure it was always put in front of my inc HPI clearance or the route to clear it.  The dealer has been sneaky in IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mister Paul
18 minutes ago, KingJames said:

As you've missed this I'll add it in - "Toughest cars in the world are hire cars"

 

Previous owners are listed on the V5, what does it say on there?  Typically I always ask to see the V5 before purchase, trying to think when I last had to ask in fact as I'm pretty sure it was always put in front of my inc HPI clearance or the route to clear it.  The dealer has been sneaky in IMO.

The V5 doesn't show the previous owner. I assumed that they're excluding it now because of GDPR.

Share this post


Link to post
skorpion
1 hour ago, Mister Paul said:

I'd be interested in your views on this.

We bought a 2017 Hyundai i30 a month ago from a dealer. We were told it had one owner. The first service wasn't in the book so I've been chasing it. I've just had an email from the dealer with an attachment confirming the first service. The confirmation was from Europcar and also confirmed that it had been a rental vehicle.

I know that views on buying ex-rentals are mixed. "Hire cars are the fastest in the world" vs "they get serviced properly" and I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. The other aspect is that the ASA state that dealers should tell potential buyers if a car is ex-lease or ex-rental, as it's a valid consideration when buying and buyers shouldn't have to ask. This is backed up by legislation.

What do you think? I know that resale value would likely be lower if the next buyer knows it's ex-hire. The car is in good condition and we've still got 2.5 years of warranty from it, but that wouldn't cover eg a trashed clutch if it goes early. Do we let it go or contact the dealer, if only to express disappointment that they didn't tell us it was ex-hire?

 

Read this may help.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/102191/buyers-sold-ex-rental-or-company-cars-without-warning-to-get-compensation

Share this post


Link to post
Defender

I seem to remember that at one time the car hire companies used holding companies for the V5 to hide the fact they had been hire cars, but I thought that practice had been stopped, some of the companies even sell them directly to the public now.

I had a friend who worked part time in car sales, weekends mainly and they got a lot of ex-Channel Island hire cars, they were reckoned to have had a fairly easy life. 

When I had company cars, some years ago now, from 1989 to 2002, three out of four of them were ex-lease cars as were those of my colleagues. I don't remember any of them being particularly troublesome, we also had a couple of ex-demo cars and one of those blew it's gearbox to pieces!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Tonyj

Well it’s price dependant for me and if it was a hire car it may well have coloured my view but if the price is right then what’s the difference. You have two years plus of dealer warranty. Get it down there every two weeks make a pest of yourself ,go straight to the offending sales person every time and wait until he’s with someone , go “ about this car you sold me , I think I’ve got another problem “

or ask to see the manager and suggest you were mis-sold and would like an extension to the warranty period .

Share this post


Link to post
elbee

Before it was straightened out, there was a tiny hump back bridge on Moor Lane between Clevedon and Yatton.

 

I can confirm that hire cars are indeed joint equal toughest, fastest, best-handling cars in the world, matched only by company cars - they were all able to get four wheels off the ground Dukes of Hazzard style. Don't y'all miss the 80s?

Edited by elbee
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
MatBin

Poor showing on the part of the dealer in my view, but could be an honest mistake.

I believe there's a trust element (call me naive) when buying a car and if lied to, or deceived, by the salesman it wouldnt in my view auger well for a good ongoing relationship with that dealership.

Personally if there was some way of returning the car and getting my money back I would be seriously looking into that, the downside of course is you will be without a car if they offer you cash immediately. An RAC inspection would probably establish the car's condition re clutch etc and I would be asking the dealer to pay for that on the proviso if all is well you will keep the car if that's what you want to do.

I had something a little similar re my new purchase, dealer sent me out for test drive without a valid MOT, the car was just 3 years old so hadnt actually had an MOT, they apologised for the "oversight" as human error, if they had lied or tried to baffle me I would have walked away from the deal.

So, if your dealer adopts a truthful attitude all may be well (for you) and and it will be worth keeping the car, would an ex hire car affect resale value when you come to sell, maybe get a guaranteed resale value from current dealer on the basis they had not told you it was ex-hire, is it on a PCP deal, does it already have a guaranteed value?

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames
2 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

The V5 doesn't show the previous owner. I assumed that they're excluding it now because of GDPR.

Really? Wow, wasn't aware.  That's a game changer. 

Share this post


Link to post
fj_stuart
3 hours ago, Defender said:

I had a friend who worked part time in car sales, weekends mainly and they got a lot of ex-Channel Island hire cars

 

We holidayed in Jersey in 1991 and hired a car for a few days. Ford (I think) shipped new cars to the island and some miles were put on them before being returned to mainland to be sold as low mileage used (no idea why) I recall the Fiesta we hired being very cheap (£12/day?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Defender
2 minutes ago, fj_stuart said:

 

We holidayed in Jersey in 1991 and hired a car for a few days. Ford (I think) shipped new cars to the island and some miles were put on them before being returned to mainland to be sold as low mileage used (no idea why) I recall the Fiesta we hired being very cheap (£12/day?)

It could have been to keep up the sale numbers, market share etc. 

We had a few family holidays back in the late '70's/early 80's in mostly in Jersey, with a couple in Guernsey, the small cars we had ranged from a Mini (BMC/BL/Austin Rover etc.) to a Vauxhall Chevette, a couple of Fiestas too I think and a small Colt of some description was pretty gutless but hardly used any fuel IIRC.

I went again in the late 2000's and had a Ford Focus both times, my last visit was 2013 I took my own car, just for the ease of logistics, drive from home on to the ferry and drive off straight to the hotel, well that was the plan, but that's another story!

Share this post


Link to post
Chris750

Ford did that a lot in the late 80s early 90s, I bought one from a local dealer, they were always very low mileage and it was a way of Ford getting their registration figures up.

Share this post


Link to post
Hickky

In the States, hire cars typically are kept for two or three years by the big hire car firms. Over here part of the business model is buy at massive discount. Run for 12k miles or 1 year (sometimes less) and sell for what you paid for the thing.

So you should get a run in car that has gone through a number of different drivers. Autos are best 'cause they are difficult to damage. Engines benefit from some revs so all in all, no real worries, although hire cars are always fast, I wonder why that is?

Share this post


Link to post
Haggard Rider

I seem to remember from back in the late 70's that certainly GEC, and other similarly large companies be came main dealers in their own right so got cars quite cheap - they did have to dispose of them after use mind.

Share this post


Link to post
alhendo1

I never knew about this type of thing till some years ago...I was looking for a car and the particular spec I wanted wasn't available...the dealer told me they were getting 20 more models in a few weeks and what I wantedwould be there and he'd call me back....I asked him how he knew and where the cars were bought and he volunteered that they were ex hire cars all between 6 months to a year old and under 10k miles...it kind of put me off a bit but when you think of it they've got to come from somewhere....the fact he was upfront about it was refreshing which in the op situation doesn't seem to be the case.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mister Paul

Thanks everyone

 

I've had a look at this in a bit more detail, and particularly the Europcar letter. The car was new in September 2017. The Europcar service was carried out in July 2018 at almost 11k miles. That level of use would support the suspicion that it was a rental. It then had only another 6k miles put on it in the following 2 years. The dealer has another identical i30 on the forecourt now with a registration number almost the same, so it looks like ours is from a batch of rental cars bought back.

 

The other irritating issue is that the car smells strongly of cigarette smoke now that the valeting products have dissipated.

 

I've emailed the sales manager to start a conversation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Mister Paul

That aside, the i30 is a fantastic car. Hugely comfortable, tons of extras and it's surprisingly quick for a 1.4 turbo petrol. We really like the car.

 

And yes, the V5 no longer gives details of the previous owner. Blame GDPR.

Edited by Mister Paul
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames
17 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

 

 

And yes, the V5 no longer gives details of the previous owner. Blame GDPR.

And yet I get massive of emails from companies I haven't dealt with before still.  

I think where my surprise comes from on this is the last car I bought I saw the V5 which would have been printed before that came in and haven't looked at the new version they sent me in that much detail.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Defender
On 14/09/2020 at 20:45, Mister Paul said:

And yes, the V5 no longer gives details of the previous owner. Blame GDPR.

That's a bit of a double edged sword, whilst I can understand the data protection bit, you can't check the cars history.

Some classic cars the previous owner can be a huge part of the cars provenance and therefore value etc? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
On 14/09/2020 at 14:52, KingJames said:

Really? Wow, wasn't aware.  That's a game changer. 

Yep. It's true. GDPR has it's uses but it's being used inappropriately as a blunt instrument sometimes too. I've heard of people quoting GDPR when refusing to fill in the track & trace forms recently. In my mind, when something affects the lives of so many people there's a good case for it's suspension? 

Share this post


Link to post
KingJames

It feels like a big stroke to me where keeping the name but no address would have been fine and given enough warning of a piss take by a seller. Personal identification from just a name is extremely improbable, although saying that “there is only one Larry Blag” has a certain ring to it. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
MatBin

My event car purchase dealer showed me the existing log book so I could see who previously owned the car but tbh I think the salesman didn't actually realise what he was doing. The logbook sent to me after purchase doesn't show previous owner.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
On 14/09/2020 at 20:43, Mister Paul said:

Thanks everyone

 

I've had a look at this in a bit more detail, and particularly the Europcar letter. The car was new in September 2017. The Europcar service was carried out in July 2018 at almost 11k miles. That level of use would support the suspicion that it was a rental. It then had only another 6k miles put on it in the following 2 years. The dealer has another identical i30 on the forecourt now with a registration number almost the same, so it looks like ours is from a batch of rental cars bought back.

 

The other irritating issue is that the car smells strongly of cigarette smoke now that the valeting products have dissipated.

 

I've emailed the sales manager to start a conversation.

That cigarette smell permeates everything and can't ever truly be neutralised. Those fragrance bombs mask it for a while but it returns. I'd be asking for some recompense. Glad you've got the ball rolling - keep us informed of progress 👍

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×