Matatpub

Motorbike winter tyres

Matatpub

Just thought I would share with you if anyone rides there bike though the winter I have just fitted some winter tyres to my Africa twin https://www.anlas-tyres.co.uk/winter-grip-plus-tested-by-motorrad/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

fj_stuart

Interesting. I'm contemplating a pair for my CBF250.

b%252307.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hickky

What's winter? Why is the picture above showing loads of flume from sprayed Champagne? And the burning question from this rather odd photo; Just how much does Glen earn? Must be loads judging from the spray about. Oh, I get it, it's not Champagne spray, it's Prosecco! Well the Scots always had a reputation for being a little, now what was it, ahh yes, tight.

Paul, news at 10, the soft south!

• Sigh 1

Andy m

I nearly bought these but went with the K60's in the end purely because I know they work. Be interested to hear the comparison in a year. The low temperature performance should be similar, they both passed the M&S test. The Anlas should be quieter and hence save a bit of fuel but probably not enough to spot unless doing a serious back to back test. The bit that will be of interest is wear. The K60's are knobblies and stand 10000 miles by starting with 15mm of tread (that squares off terribly after 8000). Anlas scaled up their scooter winter tyre so must get the life via the construction? 

Andy

Griff

My only winter requirement is something that will deal effectively with icy or snow conditions as per photo above. This therefore has me wondering if these Winter specific tyres will be any more effective than the MT21's on my CRF :huh: 

KingJames

It's 20 odd degrees outside, bit early isn't it, or were you in the market for tyres anyways rather than having two sets?

Andy m
41 minutes ago, Griff said:

My only winter requirement is something that will deal effectively with icy or snow conditions as per photo above. This therefore has me wondering if these Winter specific tyres will be any more effective than the MT21's on my CRF :huh: 

Definitely. I tried TCK's back to back with M&S K60's. The TCK's work on loose snow (it's like sand) but feel like knobblies do on a wet man hole cover on ice. M&S compounds stay "sticky". 

16 minutes ago, KingJames said:

It's 20 odd degrees outside, bit early isn't it, or were you in the market for tyres anyways rather than having two sets?

I couldn't live with Honda OE Dunaplops. K60s work all year so I can't see the point running two types if I can get the size. The Dunaplops might go back on if they are still in the back of the garage and I sell the bike to a Honda dealer 😈

Andy

Hickky

I fitted winter tyres to my car about 4 years ago. Not much more than standard unbranded tyres and they lasted about two years. Only problem was that they were worn out before they ever saw ice or snow. Nowadays I am a snowbird and spend Jan, Feb and some of march in Uganda where snow is only seen at the top of mountains where there are no roads, so no more winter tyres for me.

I will buy a local motorcycle in Uganda next time I go. Could be a Hero Honda or a Bajoz, we will see which one is less than £1,000 new.

• Like 1

KingJames

I tend to go for good all seasons on my cars, does the job for the kind of winters we get down here.  Helps weave round the standed BMWs and similar on summer tyres.

Bit surprised there aren't the same tyre choices for motorcycles, maybe that is what the winter ones really are.

Rev Ken

I've never had winter tyres on any of my bikes or cars. There weren't any for  lot of my riding/driving life, unless you count the trials tyres I had on my old 5900MSS Velocette. And now I only ride for pleasure I rarely get caught out in snow - just occasionally! so am happy with 'standard' tyres.

I forgot, in Germany I had a set of studded tyres for icy conditions until they were outlawed then I carried a set of winter chains. In this country I have had chains, but now have a 'sock' for my car if ever I should get stuck.

Ah the winter of '73, paddling my Rapide through high snow banks back to our little thatched roof (haunted) cottage in Thruxton village to be with my young wife after a long Orderly Officer duty overnight. The folly of youth and love....:heart:

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1

embattle

The occasional dusting of snow doesn't justify snow tyres here.

Tel
6 hours ago, Andy m said:

I nearly bought these but went with the K60's in the end purely because I know they work. Be interested to hear the comparison in a year. The low temperature performance should be similar, they both passed the M&S test. The Anlas should be quieter and hence save a bit of fuel but probably not enough to spot unless doing a serious back to back test. The bit that will be of interest is wear. The K60's are knobblies and stand 10000 miles by starting with 15mm of tread (that squares off terribly after 8000). Anlas scaled up their scooter winter tyre so must get the life via the construction? 

Andy

I had Anlas Winter Grip on my SIlverwing and loved them. Really good grip, ride quality and feel, but I don't keep any bike for long so can't comment on longevity.

Edited by Tel
  • Like 1

Andy m
2 hours ago, embattle said:

The occasional dusting of snow doesn't justify snow tyres here.

There is no such thing as a snow tyre. These are winter tyres. More grip at anything below about 5C.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

MatBin

I had winter tyres on my Focus, all 4 wheels, and it was brilliant in the winter on snow, ice, slush, anything. Fitted all season on the next car and they werent as good but didnt have to remove them in summer of course.

Winters on bikes - no thanks, if it's that bad I aint going out on 2 wheels, have done it in the past but not doing it ever again.

Radarman

Some of you may well use winter tyres without even knowing ;)

My 50/50 on and offroad Mitas E07 tyres are M + S (Mud and Snow) so technically winter tyres.

Andy mentioned TKC80 and Heidenau K60 which are M+S too.

• Like 1

embattle
5 hours ago, Andy m said:

There is no such thing as a snow tyre. These are winter tyres. More grip at anything below about 5C.

Andy

I still don't see the point, right hand control will work better.

Andy m
8 hours ago, embattle said:

How? 

If you increase the tyres ability to grip the road you have a greater range of abilities to corner, brake and accelerate. It's like being able to turn the rain off. 

Andy

• Like 1

MatBin
9 hours ago, embattle said:

From experience of using winter tyres on my car I can tell you the difference is like night and day. Winter tyres on snow/ice is like driving on a wet road, you still need a gentle throttle but there is just so much more grip. If bike tyres are the same and you ride in winter they could potentially be a life saver. I have ridden bikes in snow and ice, from a BMW R80RT to a Triumph Sprint and it's a terrifying experience no matter how good your throttle control is. I rode into London a few years back and by mid-afternoon the snow was falling, trains were cancelled so I had to ride the bike home, hotels were fully booked. Not something I would want to do again on summer tyres if winters were available.

They are so worth the price, plus while you have them on it costs nothing really as you will be saving your other tyres.

Andy m

Fresh snow on an empty road is like having your own personal bit of desert as a playground. 

Crappy frozed sludge on some A-road with traffic that varies between the terrified and the unaware changes from a frightening task to an annoying drudge. 

Andy

• Like 1

embattle
6 hours ago, Andy m said:

How? 

If you increase the tyres ability to grip the road you have a greater range of abilities to corner, brake and accelerate. It's like being able to turn the rain off. 

Andy

Again I realise there are gains, but these are marginal in my opinion and aren't worth the effort and cost to me.

chris

I've never tried winter tyres on my bikes. But I keep two sets of wheels for the car. Winter from November  to April and summer for the warmer months. 

Many years ago I could hardly tell the difference but it seems as summer tyres have gotten better and better for dry and wet conditions they've gotten worse and worse in cold,  especially in snow or ice.

With winter tyres I can drive through snow with hardly any loss of traction,  with summer tyres grip is pretty much zero.  The difference is huge. Summer tyres here in winter are death traps. 

slowboy
19 hours ago, embattle said:

Again I realise there are gains, but these are marginal in my opinion and aren't worth the effort and cost to me.

like Andy I used the Heidendau K60 M+S compound on my CRF 250 and the difference is not marginal. They wear well and in the UK at least work well all year round. They cost the same if you shop about a bit. They are a knobbly 50/50 type tyre though. Never had a problem with them slipping in any conditions and their dry road cornering was a revelation for knobblies. Very good in the wet as well. Definitely recommended if you use that sort of tyre.

Trev
1 minute ago, slowboy said:

like Andy I used the Heidendau K60 M+S compound on my CRF 250 and the difference is not marginal. They wear well and in the UK at least work well all year round. They cost the same if you shop about a bit. They are a knobbly 50/50 type tyre though. Never had a problem with them slipping in any conditions and their dry road cornering was a revelation for knobblies. Very good in the wet as well. Definitely recommended if you use that sort of tyre.

I've got K57's on my Enfield (whatever the heck they are) and handling definitely a bit 'squirmy' compared to a Michelin Anakee, nothing too bad but definitely not up to road tyre performance. They don't seem much different in the wet although I'm not exactly chasing lap times on the Enfield, wet or dry. I will probably go back to the 2nd hand Anakees when (if) the K57's wear out as; I have an ample supply, they give much more directional stability & better handling and I've only taken the Ennie 'off road' in dry conditions anyway - if gravel tracks and the odd field count as 'off road' :D

slowboy

K57s are very different to K60s. Definitely not just 3 different😂 They are an enduro tyre. Bet they’re better off road though.

Edited by slowboy
  • Thanks 1

Andy m

I forget what I have on the CL350, K??. Old school block tread, knobblie, literally blocks of tread the size of that particular painful to stand on Lego brick . Very 1973 in terms of wet grip and a good half century behind the K60 M&S. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1