Typical.....

Haggard Rider

Haggard Rider

Booked bike in for an MOT about 3 weeks ago, due to go in tomorrow and have a service done too. Just typical that my lh fork has started leaving that black tide mark in the last couple of days.

That'll be a fail then and a couple of hundred extra I imagine.

Will a clear out with a thin bit of plastic extend it's life? I'd use a bit of film end, but I guess not everyone has that. 

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Richard- been there and done that.

I had  Deaville and the exact same thing happened to myself a few years back and a kind friend replaced it. The garage wanted £180 to replace the one seal !!!!!

Just a few weeks ago I had to get both done on a low mileage 2014 DCT...the pleasures of motorcycling.

Do you mind if I ask what year your bike is and what miles you have done. Hope Andy's tip helps you.

Let us know how you get on.

Haggard Rider

2015 DCT and just shy of 15k miles.

MOT is just after lunch. Will be back home soon, certainly don't have film, not sure I've even got a feeler gauge but will look round.

Instead of film, cut out a bit from a thin plastic lemonade bottle. Use good pair of scissors to get it nice and smooth and shape it so it pulls the muck out. You may be surprised how much muck is there. Do it 2 or 3 times. Pump forks a few times to reseat the seals. 

• Like 1
Haggard Rider

As it happens, I did use some clear acetate sheet is use in modelling, cut to shape and that did remove some muck.

Must have done it right as it sailed through the MOT, with no advisories.

Nice!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Richard as you can now set to as and when you fancy:niceone:

If all the above fails. Smear a bit of brake fluid off a fingertip onto the seal, it'll cause it to swell a bit.

That's the seal not the finger....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3