jeremyr62

Aprilia Tuono 1000 Factory

jeremyr62

My next bike.  Deposit paid, collect in a week.  Never owned an Italian bike. In fact never owned anything other than Japanese bikes since I started riding in 1983. Expecting plenty of issues and problems to fix. It's a well specced bike with quality suspension. Should be fun setting it up for me.

20200918_164430_small.jpg

• Like 6

stordz

Looks different, interesting colour scheme, enjoy.

DCTPaul

Nice

#41 Nori Haga - Them were the days...

• Like 1

jeremyr62

I was only vaguely aware of Tuonos until I bought a Tuono V4 rear shock for my NC. That put them on my radar. I actually wanted a Moto Guzzi Griso but I couldn't get my legs anywhere near into the tank cutouts. Thankfully I fit the Tuono OK.

DCTPaul

real world size machine...

Rocker66
Just now, jeremyr62 said:

I was only vaguely aware of Tuonos until I bought a Tuono V4 rear shock for my NC. That put them on my radar. I actually wanted a Moto Guzzi Griso but I couldn't get my legs anywhere near into the tank cutouts. Thankfully I fit the Tuono OK.

I would take the Tuono over a Guzzi ( except maybe a California T3 or a Mk1 Le Mans) any da.y.

jeremyr62

Well I am not totally smitten by the looks of the Tuono but it has everything I want in a bike at the moment. I think the Tuono V4 is a much nicer looking bike but they are pretty spendy if you want Ohlins all round. The V4 is >160hp too, my V2 is 50hp less so not stupid powerful. 

DMB
11 minutes ago, jeremyr62 said:

Well I am not totally smitten by the looks of the Tuono but ....

I am inclined to agree.  Looks like something off Scrapheap Challenge.  No offence.

Trev

Very nice :thumbsup:

A mate of mine has one very similar (I'm not up to speed on Tuono specs I'm afraid) in immaculate condition that's only got 8,000 miles on it. Even though I've never ridden one, I really like them, proper old school performance bike but probably too much (of everything) for me now, including keeping it up together.

Quite different to a Griso though, the Guzzi is much more laid back and, dare I say it, practical, it'll be interesting to hear how you get on with it.

Edited by Trev
  • Like 1

jeremyr62

Well I like the wheels ...

• Haha 1

Foxy

It's a fantastic bike Jeremy, sold mine (same colour, same model) earlier this year. Very rapid and good luck keeping the front wheel on the ground.

• Haha 1

jeremyr62

Cheers and I will report back. I have the NC as a reliable fall back in case it proves as unreliable as some would have you believe. 

Plenty of support forums too which is always a good sign.

Hickky

I've been watching Yammie Noob on Utube waxing lyrical over the Pannigale V2, going on about how useable 160 hp is on the roads rather than the V4 with 200.

There will be more than enough power and great handling from the Aprilla and at least they are known as being more reliable and slightly cheaper servicing than the Ducati. Enjoy

• Like 1

jeremyr62

That was a short lived episode of Italian bike ownership. Lasted about 5 minutes. Went to pick it up today (3 hour car drive with wife and son in tow) and noticed straight way the clocks were fogged up. Known issue with theses bikes and disappointing because they were crystal clear when I viewed the bike last week. Not a deal breaker though so handed over the cash and jumped on for a quick test ride. That’s when I spotted the the clock had reset and the tachometer was stuck at redline + a few thousand rpm. Oh dear. Also a known issue but a potentially very expensive fix. Deal off. I will wait to see if the seller can fix it or maybe see what it costs to fix and reduce price accordingly. Maybe I had a lucky escape.

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 3

skorpion

Beautiful looking bike though a friend had one and it's 100 miles between fill ups, not 100 MPG.

But more smiles per mile. 

slowboy
2 hours ago, jeremyr62 said:

That was a short lived episode of Italian bike ownership. Lasted about 5 minutes. Went to pick it up today (3 hour car drive with wife and son in tow) and noticed straight way the clocks were fogged up. Known issue with theses bikes and disappointing because they were crystal clear when I viewed the bike last week. Not a deal breaker though so handed over the cash and jumped on for a quick test ride. That’s when I spotted the the clock had reset and the tachometer was stuck at redline + a few thousand rpm. Oh dear. Also a known issue but a potentially very expensive fix. Deal off. I will wait to see if the seller can fix it or maybe see what it costs to fix and reduce price accordingly. Maybe I had a lucky escape.

Thats a crying shame, but you may have just dodged a bullet there. Another one will come along if that one doesn’t work out. Best of luck, whatever the outcome. They are a lovely bike when they’re fully functional.👍

• Like 1