Maintenance free chains in 2021

yellownev

yellownev

Scenic the motorcycle phone sat nav company have recently blogged about BMW’s claim of a maintenance free ( no lubing and less adjustment) chain on a couple of their bikes. It seems the chain will be available for us all in 2021. Could this be the end of chain lubing ... and make the humble chain a better option of the costly and weighty shaft drive  ! The link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

yeah but about 3 times the price of an x-ring? I just bought a no-ring chain for the Himalayan dirt cheap so there's your answer - buy a woefully underpowered machine ;)

• Like 1

Don't think I could cope with looking at a dry chain and knowing what that is doing to the front sprocket, a motorcycle component that already gets a hard time. My X-Adv is still on the original chain at 32,000kms. That is down to non agressive acceleration and diligent lubing with a good product. That chain has been adjusted about twice in its existence. The front sprocket is now quite worn but I have seen worse. However the chain is still not needing adjustment. I will soon have to replace the set, but only because of the sprocket and the fact that a shitload of bodywork has to come off to get to it. 

• Like 4
Slowboy
1 hour ago, Griff said:

Don't think I could cope with looking at a dry chain and knowing what that is doing to the front sprocket, a motorcycle component that already gets a hard time. My X-Adv is still on the original chain at 32,000kms. That is down to non agressive acceleration and diligent lubing with a good product. That chain has been adjusted about twice in its existence. The front sprocket is now quite worn but I have seen worse. However the chain is still not needing adjustment. I will soon have to replace the set, but only because of the sprocket and the fact that a shitload of bodywork has to come off to get to it. 

Griff, quite often I have replaced the front sprocket at about 8 to 10k if it’s very obviously worn and the “set” has gone on much longer, as much as 30,000 miles if the links of the chain aren’t seized. As you say the front sprocket gets a much harder time than the rear one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, yellownev said:

Scenic the motorcycle phone sat nav company have recently blogged about BMW’s claim of a maintenance free ( no lubing and less adjustment) chain on a couple of their bikes. It seems the chain will be available for us all in 2021. Could this be the end of chain lubing ... and make the humble chain a better option of the costly and weighty shaft drive  ! The link

I put a post on here about this BMW development back on 31st AUgust; not many people seemed interested or thought it was very worthwhile.

The price I saw quoted was approx. £100.

4 hours ago, usabikes said:

yeah but about 3 times the price of an x-ring? I just bought a no-ring chain for the Himalayan dirt cheap so there's your answer - buy a woefully underpowered machine ;)

Seems expensive but that could be just me :ahappy: , personally I've never an issue with chains as long as I showed them some TLC........On a separate note @usabikes, how are you getting on with the Himalayan. asking as I am considering one for local duties as I no longer have to commute long distances.

1 hour ago, slowboy said:

Don't think I could cope with looking at a dry chain and knowing what that is doing to the front sprocket, a motorcycle component that already gets a hard time.

+1, after 4 decades of looking after chains I don't think that my brain could make the transition to 'maintenance free' chains and stop cleaning and applying chain lube to them. It would be an alien concept :blink:

• Like 2
5 hours ago, slowboy said:

Griff, quite often I have replaced the front sprocket at about 8 to 10k if it’s very obviously worn and the “set” has gone on much longer, as much as 30,000 miles if the links of the chain aren’t seized. As you say the front sprocket gets a much harder time than the rear one. 

Thanks for that Brian. I have done that occasionally on other bikes to good affect as You describe. However the removal of so much bodywork just to get at it was more than I wanted to get involved in until I absolutely had to. Its the one big downside of the X-Adv. 

Scootabout

Maintenance-free chain? Bring it on!

Mind you, my T Max had one, but it ran in an oil bath. 

6 hours ago, stordz said:

On a separate note @usabikes, how are you getting on with the Himalayan. asking as I am considering one for local duties as I no longer have to commute long distances.

Hey Roy,

Mine is a 2017 carb model, the first year of imports. It has silver triple clamps distinguishing it as such, later iterations have black. I'd done a bit of research before buying and found that there were a few areas that needed an eye kept on them. I've only done 1500kms since I bought it.

Overall the bike is very nice to ride. Maintenance is easy, at least what I've done so far (bought at 8500km). The bike is heavy for what it is and the power is low for the capacity (back wheel horses amount to only 21 or 22). So its a slug. At least the seat height is good. The bike, while seemingly gutless, will in fact pull itself up a hill well - not fast, but hard to stall. MPG is good but after owning an NC700 not as good as that. You'd get as good MPG from other mid size trail bikes if you limited them to the same speed and acceleration as the Enfield.

I went up a tooth on the countershaft as it revs its head off with standard gearing (5000RPM at 60MPH with a redline at 6500). It's happiest around 90km/h (55MPH) with standard gearing. It could use another gear but RE seem to study ignoring their buyers so I don't think suggestion, or any others, this will ever eventuate.

Rubbers tend to crack and perish so need early attention with rubber grease and sprays. Standard seat is a pain after an hour (I only weigh 76kgs too) so RE's after market Touring seat might be worth a look.

Overall this comes across as a cheap bike - not junk, but built down to a budget, remember these sell for US$2,600 in India. Treat it as such and do preventative maintenance but still expect some annoying issues to pop up on occasion. It's like being married for 30 years: you realise this isn't your dream girl you thought you got when you met your wife - this is the reality of finding knowing it isn't perfect and has weak points but you still love it anyway :)

It's much easier to clean than my old naked Yamaha road bike but more care needs to be taken as it is more prone to rust. I use Scottoil FS365 to protect it and Muck-off spray cleaner which just needed hosing off at the last clean after numerous dirt roads and stream crossings.

The front brake isn't as bad as most people say. Mine was poor and I was going to fit sintered pads - the popular fix - but I found that the bottom piston was reluctant to push out and I had to  clean it, now it works fine and the brake is as good as the 2019 model I test rode from a dealer.

The steering head bearings have a rep for getting water in and failing. I pulled mine and sure enough the bottom set feel gritty. I will replace the set at some stage but just greased and re-fitted at this stage.

The swing arm and shock linkages are poorly aligned - this seems to have been rectified on later versions. I pulled the swing arm and linkages out to re-pack with grease. All the seals for the swing arm and linkages are too skinny from the factory and twist, letting water & grit in and the factory doesn't like spending on grease to begin with. The swing arm has skinny bearing seals which I've updated to wider ones so that they stay in place. I imagine it necessary to re-check all these bearings at 10,000km intervals.

I replaced the downpipe with a Delkovic item without a Cat which has improved carburetion markedly. No noticeable change in power though, but much nicer to ride.

I like being able to do pretty much all the work myself, I like that parts are cheap - as long as I don't buy them in New Zealand where they are horrifically priced. I buy from India via the auction site that must not be named or from Hitchcocks in Britain. I can change the tyres myself.

Over all I find I'm like a lot of other owners, I keep shaking my head at poor build quality and some dumb engineering but still find the bike interesting and fun.

Hope this helps mate,

Graeme

• Like 5
yellownev

Hey Roy,

Mine is a 2017 carb model, the first year of imports. It has silver triple clamps distinguishing it as such, later iterations have black. I'd done a bit of research before buying and found that there were a few areas that needed an eye kept on them. I've only done 1500kms since I bought it.

Overall the bike is very nice to ride. Maintenance is easy, at least what I've done so far (bought at 8500km). The bike is heavy for what it is and the power is low for the capacity (back wheel horses amount to only 21 or 22). So its a slug. At least the seat height is good. The bike, while seemingly gutless, will in fact pull itself up a hill well - not fast, but hard to stall. MPG is good but after owning an NC700 not as good as that. You'd get as good MPG from other mid size trail bikes if you limited them to the same speed and acceleration as the Enfield.

I went up a tooth on the countershaft as it revs its head off with standard gearing (5000RPM at 60MPH with a redline at 6500). It's happiest around 90km/h (55MPH) with standard gearing. It could use another gear but RE seem to study ignoring their buyers so I don't think suggestion, or any others, this will ever eventuate.

Rubbers tend to crack and perish so need early attention with rubber grease and sprays. Standard seat is a pain after an hour (I only weigh 76kgs too) so RE's after market Touring seat might be worth a look.

Overall this comes across as a cheap bike - not junk, but built down to a budget, remember these sell for US$2,600 in India. Treat it as such and do preventative maintenance but still expect some annoying issues to pop up on occasion. It's like being married for 30 years: you realise this isn't your dream girl you thought you got when you met your wife - this is the reality of finding knowing it isn't perfect and has weak points but you still love it anyway :)

It's much easier to clean than my old naked Yamaha road bike but more care needs to be taken as it is more prone to rust. I use Scottoil FS365 to protect it and Muck-off spray cleaner which just needed hosing off at the last clean after numerous dirt roads and stream crossings.

The front brake isn't as bad as most people say. Mine was poor and I was going to fit sintered pads - the popular fix - but I found that the bottom piston was reluctant to push out and I had to  clean it, now it works fine and the brake is as good as the 2019 model I test rode from a dealer.

The steering head bearings have a rep for getting water in and failing. I pulled mine and sure enough the bottom set feel gritty. I will replace the set at some stage but just greased and re-fitted at this stage.

The swing arm and shock linkages are poorly aligned - this seems to have been rectified on later versions. I pulled the swing arm and linkages out to re-pack with grease. All the seals for the swing arm and linkages are too skinny from the factory and twist, letting water & grit in and the factory doesn't like spending on grease to begin with. The swing arm has skinny bearing seals which I've updated to wider ones so that they stay in place. I imagine it necessary to re-check all these bearings at 10,000km intervals.

I replaced the downpipe with a Delkovic item without a Cat which has improved carburetion markedly. No noticeable change in power though, but much nicer to ride.

I like being able to do pretty much all the work myself, I like that parts are cheap - as long as I don't buy them in New Zealand where they are horrifically priced. I buy from India via the auction site that must not be named or from Hitchcocks in Britain. I can change the tyres myself.

Over all I find I'm like a lot of other owners, I keep shaking my head at poor build quality and some dumb engineering but still find the bike interesting and fun.

Hope this helps mate,

Graeme

Graeme, I think that is an excellent report on the Himalayan, a very useful read for anyone thinking of taking one on. Thank you 

Hey Roy,

Hope this helps mate,

Graeme

Thanks Graeme,  really appreciate the comprehensive overview, your perspective and the time taken to write it.

Others have mentioned similar points like you around what I refer to as the first gen model, as time has moved on RE seem to have addressed some of the issues and the bike has improved, I'll find a dealer in my area and take one for a test drive and see what I think.

Cheers

Roy

The newer bikes are much, much improved - build quality better, brakes better, mpg probably better. It's no quicker, of course, but it's not meant to be quick :)

There is no better bike(for me) for the countryside and possibly no worse bike for the motorway (barring 125's). It is, however, still a great bike, if that's the type of bike you're looking for!

I suspect that most people want something that does it all. I don't think that the Himalayan will suit those folks.

I love mine :)

• Like 5
Pete Crowther
On 29/09/2020 at 10:44, Griff said:

I agree with you regards the front sprocket. I did see that the BMW chain was made by Regina, so think we will see a wide use of the technology. Given the reduced friction, it's cheap rear wheel power/better fuel consumption. My regime has been: 1/ Tutoro oiler system (brilliant), change front sprocket at 10k. Even on a KTM 1190 Adventure this gave 28k on the chainset. Even with the "wonder chain" id stick with the oiler.

• Like 3