Rocker66

Bikes you were glad to see the back of

Rocker66

Following on from the thread about which bikes you wished you had kept I thought I would ask which bikes you were really happy to see the back of.

I will start with the most unreliable brand new bike I have ever bought.

img202.jpg

now076.jpg[

• Sad 1

Ciaran1602

Bandit 600. Hateful monstrosity.

704167_10151188046292955_57210864_o 251270_10151118012042955_1251203043_n

And then the Cagiva River. Would probably have been alright if it was new but the old sod that I bought it from hadn't exactly looked after it.

Cagiva River

• Like 1

sandalfarm

Had you thrown  the gloves down in despair?

• Haha 6

wingrider.steve

For me it would have to be my Triumph Trophy 250.

The most unreliable machine I've ever owned.

slowboy
Posted (edited)

This one. Still officially the worst bike I’ve ever owned. As Douglas Adams once wrote, Looked like a fish (beautiful to look at), moved like a fish (lovely engine), steered like a cow. Great up to about 60, but when you were pressing on, dead as a dead thing, front felt like it was always going to tuck under. My good friend, who was a Motorcycle tyre tester for Avon, took it out for a couple of hours and gave it back advising I get rid of it before it gets rid of me. I bought a Honda Transalp 700 the next week and it was a better bike in every important way. Lovely to look at though. Later Bonnie 900s, especially those with the alloy wheels, were much better.

Apologies to those that own one but that’s how it was.

I beleive there was something fundamentally wrong with the geometry, front wheel too big, (The Thruxton had an 18” front, not a 17”) engine too far back. Not for nothing did Hinckley put a Crossply at one end and a radial at the other. (Counter intuitively, the radial was at the front from memory, but I might be wrong. It was an ME33 at the front and an ME55 at the rear, both metzlers)

F7-CA4-B06-59-B1-4482-98-B4-87-E17-BF963

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1

Andy m

CB100N. 

Fair enough it had had a tough 12 years before I got it, but I can't forgive it for being ****ty brown/orange. 

Andy

• Haha 2

listener
29 minutes ago, Andy m said:

[...], but I can't forgive it for being ****ty brown/orange. 

Was it sh*tty brown/orange when you bought it, or did you just have an 'unfortunate accident'? :angel:

• Haha 2

listener
2 hours ago, Ciaran1602 said:

And then the Cagiva River.

Cry me a River:whistle:

• Like 1

Tel
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

Following on from the thread about which bikes you wished you had kept I thought I would ask which bikes you were really happy to see the back of.

img202.jpg

now076.jpg[

..that's a shame Rocker. I have always fancied an XS750 or 850 because I love the look of them; don't know why but they just appeal to me.

I've had an XS1100S and that was nice.

Edited by Tel

Andy m
24 minutes ago, listener said:

Was it sh*tty brown/orange when you bought it, or did you just have an 'unfortunate accident'? :angel:

No, It was made in the 1970's when many things seemed to be a combination of ****y and/or brown/Orange. 

Andy

suffolk58

I think I've featured this monstrosity once before.  It's an early 90's Aprilia Moto 6.5. There is one in the design museum....which where they all should be!

image.png.30e83b6200a714be8b12a63228f33b21.png

• Haha 2

fj_stuart
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Fair enough it had had a tough 12 years before I got it, but I can't forgive it for being ****ty brown/orange. 

Would this be the little fellow?

1982-cb100.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

bazza

I bought for looks -called by me "high heels on Wheels" but so uncomfortable -one trip to France was enough! will send a photo when i find it but it was a GXSR1100

Griff

img202.jpg

now076.jpg[

Funny how things work out. I am aware that they gave trouble. Something to do with crank or mains or something. However I think around 1982 three of us set off across Europe on an overland trip to Mykonos. I was on a Z1300 and one of the mates was on the 750 Yam with another on a GPZ1100B1.  On that trip the Yam didn't give the slightest bother but perhaps it was one of the later models. Loved the sound of it though. That bike continued on to big mileage eventually trouble free. 

Griff

One I was definitely glad to see the back of was a Kawasaki Z650 C.....      https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/kawasaki/kawasaki_z650c 79.htm

I had it second hand. Not really sure why I bought it because while I was a devoted Kwacker fan the 650 never really impressed me. Anyway I had it back in the day when speed was very important to me, and quickly discovered it was not stable at high speed. First time up around 110 or thereabouts the thing got into a proper weave. Came home, checked tyre pressures, suspension etc but nothing glaring. I never got to the cause and quickly parted with it. Tbh I never got Z650's like many of my friends did, but then I never got CB400F's either and they were all the rage for a while.  

Gringo

[

A mate of mine had one of these and never had any major issues. I had a CB400T at the time and once I'd seen his bike I took an immediate fancy to it as it had shaft drive. The thought of no more oiling and adjusting the drive chain was rather appealing. It was about that time when Yamaha decided to cease production of the 750 and superseded it with the XS850. So, I purchased the later and it fell apart after c47k miles.  

Mr Toad

The bloody Husqvarna MotoX bike I had for about a month. No pictures of the hateful thing, I didn't keep it long enough. 

To be fair it wasn't really the bikes fault but my lack of skill. It was a proper MotoX bike and geared as such, power was either on or off. I'm sure a good enough rider would have managed it really well.

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Griff said:

Funny how things work out. I am aware that they gave trouble. Something to do with crank or mains or something. However I think around 1982 three of us set off across Europe on an overland trip to Mykonos. I was on a Z1300 and one of the mates was on the 750 Yam with another on a GPZ1100B1.  On that trip the Yam didn't give the slightest bother but perhaps it was one of the later models. Loved the sound of it though. That bike continued on to big mileage eventually trouble free. 

It was loads of little things such as the steering lock falling apart when I went to unlock it whilst on the continent. Every time one thing got fixed there would be something else. Despite great effort from the dealer the importers were absolutely useless when it came to warranty claims which is why I will never buy another new Yamaha however much I like it.

fat al

when i first started as a courier i had a second hand suzuki gsx400 twin, was a very poor starter and used to break/ lose chains around five i think, one snapped and the rest,was the split link that parted company with the rest of the chain, if it came off on the toprun  it would fly off the enngine sprocket and bend the clutch push rod and wreck the oil seal, luckiest escape was  when loading in holmfirth to go to southampton at 1845 one night i glanced down and noticed that the spring clip was missing, luckily i always carried spares with me.

al

Jeffprince

image.jpeg.6542e7f7880f2525f7dbe49b9c411ec1.jpeg

Rev Ken
Posted (edited)

Not mine, but I nominate a standard Triumph Tiger Cub 'ruggidised' for the Army I was testing. It was meant to manage cross country riding as well as road riding. It demonstrated severe weaknesses! A trials tyre on the front and a road tyre on back as there wasn't enough clearance to fit one didn't help! It broke spokes in both wheels frequently on my 5,000 mile trip around the coast line and it had no rebound control of the front forks which crashed over any severe bump. Oh and the engine dropped a piston ring with less than 5,000 miles on the clock. It was a 'smoky' long ride back to base where it was examined as I had managed more miles than the other 5 cubs on trial. (Now look at what they are fetching - I wouldn't have one for a gift!)

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 4

stordz

For me it's a Yamaha XJ650 Turbo, I must have been having a moment of insanity when I bought it, didn't keep it long enough for a photo, horrid thing, shocking build quality, didn't handle, brakes were shockingly bad and the Turbo was either on or off, it was a buttock clenching experience  when the Turbo kicked in in the wet....... :blink:

At night it looked like I was towing a flame thrower as sparks and flames used to come out of the dummy exhaust used as a wastegate dump...... people used to flash their lights at me thinking that the back of the bike was on fire.......

Having said all that they seem to be fetching decent money as collectors items these days..

• Like 1

Foxy

Mine could have been the 883 Roadster, before I even got home from buying it I was wondering why I had wasted £5k on a pile of rubbish. However I can be a bit stubborn so I struggled on and grew to love it, 15 years later I have had a few, still have an 05 R model and think it's a great bike.

In all honesty and having owned close to 60 bikes the only "bad" one that springs to mind is the 1200 Goldwing and it can't be that bad as I have owned for 16 years now, but I did have an horrific night time ride home from Cardiff in the wet some years ago and that screen was a danger, probably cos I'm a short arse so was looking through it.

MikeBike
3 hours ago, Jeffprince said:

image.jpeg.6542e7f7880f2525f7dbe49b9c411ec1.jpeg

What was wong with it?

Griff

It was loads of little things such as the steering lock falling apart when I went to unlock it whilst on the continent. Every time one thing got fixed there would be something else. Despite great effort from the dealer the importers were absolutely useless when it came to warranty claims which is why I will never buy another new Yamaha however much I like it.

Yams are different animals nowadays though and the importers (at least over here) are good. It may not have been noticed on here but I have similar prejudices with regard to BM's :baby: . The dealership was mostly responsible for that, but there are other reasons also. Last BM I owned was a Funduro from new and haven't indulged since. I only ever owned one other BM and that was a R100GS (black and yellow). I would gladly have one back again if they weren't so expensive now. It never broke down on me over 140.000 Kms but it had its issues.