Trev

Himalayan mods & uprades

Trev

Asking for a friend:

I know there are several Himalayan owners on here, what mods have you done and why and which would you recommend and why?

I'm particularly interested in off road/trail use rather than 'adventure' use so things like tyres & suspension geared toward that, preferably with first hand experience of usefulness

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Andy m

Your friend will want to fit modern DP tyres for certain. IIRC my research from earlier in the year TT K60's are available in the right size. You might as well do this on day 2 as Enfield supply ****y Indian Market tubes that are like kiddies party balloons. 

After that I was expecting to sort the headlight (LED for vibration proofing with no expectation to ride at night) and fit lever guards, but only after proving they were both required and likely to be effective. I was going to buy industrial quantities of Loctite in expectation of finding what came loose. 

Never got that far of course. Get your mate to put 20 gallons of unleaded through it before making any decisions, its always the best way. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trev

He wants to use it more off road than on and, where he lives, the trails are mainly nadgery and muddy so he's thinking of 'proper' off road tyres, Pirelli MT21's or the like. In your experience, is the K60 any good in muddy conditions? It's been a long while since I've (he's!) done any off road riding other than fairly easy, normally dry, tracks and that was on a KDX with enduro tyres that gave plenty of muddy ground grip, not sure the more road biased K60's won't jut clog when the going gets tricky?

Good point on the tubes, I recall the valve stem on my Enfield tube flying off just after I had it, the air left pretty quickly. You would like to think the Himmy's are better but makes sense to stick in heavy duty tubes when the tyres are changed.

Not sure the vibration will do for the headlight lamp, I've not seen comments about this from users and, from my limited riding experience, the Himmy is wayyyy smoother than my efi 500 and I've not had any lamp blow on that apart from the little nacelle ones. There is a useful upgrade LED for about £60 so may go for that as a 'stage 2' mod.

Hand guards a must, preferably some slimline metal ones that give the levers some protection.

He's also thinking of a stiffer spring or taller shock to add a little more ground clearance (15-20mm would be ok) and possibly a better sump guard but not a fan of the huge things you see on some bikes so may look to make one of those up his self.

slowboy

@Trev, the K60s are great on most surfaces but not wet mud, especially like we get here in Devon anyway. I found a good road legal enduro tyre was better in gloopy mud, but highly entertaining 😳 on the road. I have a brand new Heidenau K something enduro tyre in 21” which might help half the issue. Very cheap😉 I’ll find out the model number tomorrow so you can look it up if you’re interested. I think it might be a K79. It is road legal.

• Thanks 2

Andy m

Given you need a TT, definitely the competition types IMHO. 

The K60 survives mud rather than makes it fun. 

Andy

• Like 2

poldark

This maybe useful?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

trisaki

I wont tell what I've done to mine the list would be too long - bring you mate up sometime  as probably easier to show  you 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

usabikes

I found that Shinko SR244 tyres had good reviews and are very cheap too. Have only fitted the rear and had only  short rides up shingle roads with stream crossings so nothing to challenge them yet, but I can say they grip fine on dry sealed roads (drag pegs no prob) and certainly look pretty chewy - although some reviews find them lacking in mud. The 460x17 drops the gearing which is helpful off road but perhaps the 510x17 is a better option - I believe it's not too big to fit the rim.

After my first brief excursion up a rock strewn track I got nailed by a big rock which bashed in the bash plate, dented the (new) downpipe and a lower frame rail. It was then that I decided to fit a decent bash plate (sigh) https://www.happy-trail.com/happy-trails-royal-enfield-himalayan-skid-plate.html Yes it's big and maybe ugly but it is substantial and well made - price is discounted at the moment. My early 2017 export BS3 has entirely different mounts, but according to what the nice man at Hitchcocks told me you fellas in GB didn't get that model so the plate will fit fine. It's designed to replace the later side mounted bash plate (like the one in the video above) with the canister thingy inside it, which my bike doesn't have. I had to drill and file a bit but it ended up fitting fine.

I found that fitting a Delkevic de-Cat downpipe did wonders for for my early carb version. It cleaned up a lot of what I thought were jetting issues https://delkevic.co.uk/downpipes/Royal Enfield/Himalayan/2019/royal-enfield-himalayan-16-20-stainless-steel-exhaust-downpipes-oem-compatible.html It also does not look like its a rusty old zinc water pipe!

I fitted a Touring seat after discovering that after an hour the standard one starts to hurt. Haven't done a really long ride with it yet but it seems much better after an hour or two than the original (I'm 76kg).

I bought from Hitchcocks: Rubber covers for the clutch lever/cable to keep out the dust and water; their front guard raising kit; Pyramid front mudguard extension (probably unnecessarily) ; spare throttle and clutch cables which I tied next to the originals; magnetic drain plug which does indeed pick up gunk and will probably make cleaning the mesh screen unnecessary in the future (it was clean when I pulled it for an oil change the other day); front guard mudflap which I screwed to the rear so it drops down to protect the rear shock and spring; after removing the swing arm both rubber swingarm blanking plates went AWOL so I got a pair of alloy ones which seem to do the job.

I will have to get some decent replacement steering head bearings at some stage - I'd recommend pulling the steering head apart and greasing them as they seem to be a weak point. The forks are supposed to hold 455ml but only 415 came out, yours may be the same??

Good idea to also clean and grease the swingarm and suspension linkages. All this stuff is not well greased from the factory and you need to protect them ASAP, especially as they say you can't replace faulty swing arm bearings but must replace the whole swing arm :( I found all the bearing seals in the back end were canted and so let water and grit in. I replaced the swing arm seals with wider ones that would stay in place and actually do their job: NAK 253306TC SEAL 25X33X6. I got a can of rust converter spray and gave the swing arm a good going over when I had it off the bike. It's been used elsewhere wherever I see rust starting.

According to many videos I've watched the gear lever does some funny stuff when it gets clouted - like bending up behind the footpeg! So I bought a folding steel gear lever for a Suzuki DS80 cheap and got it welded on to try and save damage.

Some guys have issues with poor running in cross-winds where carb versions can stutter due to pressure on the Carb diaphram (so I have heard), this seems to be fixed by re-routing the carb vent pipe up under the seat where it lies flat.

The sidestand dug in early on corners and did not lean the bike over enough when parked so I filed its mount both ways to improve it.

It appears that the 2 small cylinder head side mount bolts on the On side's only job is to stop the oil that leaks past them. This they fail to do. I replaced those bolts with 40mm long items (M6x40) as the holes are threaded right through. Later I heard just putting some Threebond under the washers will also stop the oil weeps.

I was worried about scratches and dings to the petrol tank so I had it clear coated with Caprothane which is a 2-pack treatment. Very hard and shiny and fairly cheap to get done. May be of some use to you.

Service the brake calipers as they pistons are of dubious quality an, once again, preventative maintenance will pay off.

I pinched a lot of info from guys on youtube so as the evenings close in you may find that a happy hunting ground for ideas.

Hope this helps Trev :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Trev

Thanks Graeme, very much appreciated, even though your post reminds me how much I miss NZ, can't wait to get back when we Brit's finally take the right measures to cleanse ourselves of the pox :thumbsup:

usabikes
9 hours ago, Trev said:

Thanks Graeme, very much appreciated, even though your post reminds me how much I miss NZ, can't wait to get back when we Brit's finally take the right measures to cleanse ourselves of the pox :thumbsup:

You're welcome mate. Gimme a yell when you're coming down and there's always a bed for you. BTW according to local Doctors I've talked to - don't be so keen to be free of the pox that you take a vaccine in less than 2 years time. There's no way it can be proven safe within such a short time. The govt could vaccinate everyone and "5 years later 30% of us may have ruined kidneys" (I quote).

All the best

Rocker66
23 minutes ago, usabikes said:

You're welcome mate. Gimme a yell when you're coming down and there's always a bed for you. BTW according to local Doctors I've talked to - don't be so keen to be free of the pox that you take a vaccine in less than 2 years time. There's no way it can be proven safe within such a short time. The govt could vaccinate everyone and "5 years later 30% of us may have ruined kidneys" (I quote).

All the best

Well that’s certainly cheered me up as if the Bhoys loosing to orange men wasn’t bad enough for one day.

Trev
28 minutes ago, usabikes said:

All the best

My kidneys have already have enough stick :D

Trev
On 10/10/2020 at 22:25, slowboy said:

@Trev, the K60s are great on most surfaces but not wet mud, especially like we get here in Devon anyway. I found a good road legal enduro tyre was better in gloopy mud, but highly entertaining 😳 on the road. I have a brand new Heidenau K something enduro tyre in 21” which might help half the issue. Very cheap😉 I’ll find out the model number tomorrow so you can look it up if you’re interested. I think it might be a K79. It is road legal.

Brian, you looked out this bad boy yet? 'my mate' gets his Himmy next week and already looking longingly at muddy tracks :thumbsup:

slowboy
9 hours ago, Trev said:

Brian, you looked out this bad boy yet? 'my mate' gets his Himmy next week and already looking longingly at muddy tracks :thumbsup:

Not hey, been away in the camper this weekend, I’ll look it out when I’m back from the first 15k of my 100 kilometre challenge this morning and Contact you directly. 😎

Trev
3 hours ago, slowboy said:

Not hey, been away in the camper this weekend, I’ll look it out when I’m back from the first 15k of my 100 kilometre challenge this morning and Contact you directly. 😎

Hope you've had a good weekend? No rush, when convenient, thanks - Trev

lipsee
On 10/15/2020 at 23:06, usabikes said:

I found that Shinko SR244 tyres had good reviews and are very cheap too. Have only fitted the rear and had only  short rides up shingle roads with stream crossings so nothing to challenge them yet, but I can say they grip fine on dry sealed roads (drag pegs no prob) and certainly look pretty chewy - although some reviews find them lacking in mud. The 460x17 drops the gearing which is helpful off road but perhaps the 510x17 is a better option - I believe it's not too big to fit the rim.

After my first brief excursion up a rock strewn track I got nailed by a big rock which bashed in the bash plate, dented the (new) downpipe and a lower frame rail. It was then that I decided to fit a decent bash plate (sigh) https://www.happy-trail.com/happy-trails-royal-enfield-himalayan-skid-plate.html Yes it's big and maybe ugly but it is substantial and well made - price is discounted at the moment. My early 2017 export BS3 has entirely different mounts, but according to what the nice man at Hitchcocks told me you fellas in GB didn't get that model so the plate will fit fine. It's designed to replace the later side mounted bash plate (like the one in the video above) with the canister thingy inside it, which my bike doesn't have. I had to drill and file a bit but it ended up fitting fine.

I found that fitting a Delkevic de-Cat downpipe did wonders for for my early carb version. It cleaned up a lot of what I thought were jetting issues https://delkevic.co.uk/downpipes/Royal Enfield/Himalayan/2019/royal-enfield-himalayan-16-20-stainless-steel-exhaust-downpipes-oem-compatible.html It also does not look like its a rusty old zinc water pipe!

I fitted a Touring seat after discovering that after an hour the standard one starts to hurt. Haven't done a really long ride with it yet but it seems much better after an hour or two than the original (I'm 76kg).

I bought from Hitchcocks: Rubber covers for the clutch lever/cable to keep out the dust and water; their front guard raising kit; Pyramid front mudguard extension (probably unnecessarily) ; spare throttle and clutch cables which I tied next to the originals; magnetic drain plug which does indeed pick up gunk and will probably make cleaning the mesh screen unnecessary in the future (it was clean when I pulled it for an oil change the other day); front guard mudflap which I screwed to the rear so it drops down to protect the rear shock and spring; after removing the swing arm both rubber swingarm blanking plates went AWOL so I got a pair of alloy ones which seem to do the job.

I will have to get some decent replacement steering head bearings at some stage - I'd recommend pulling the steering head apart and greasing them as they seem to be a weak point. The forks are supposed to hold 455ml but only 415 came out, yours may be the same??

Good idea to also clean and grease the swingarm and suspension linkages. All this stuff is not well greased from the factory and you need to protect them ASAP, especially as they say you can't replace faulty swing arm bearings but must replace the whole swing arm :( I found all the bearing seals in the back end were canted and so let water and grit in. I replaced the swing arm seals with wider ones that would stay in place and actually do their job: NAK 253306TC SEAL 25X33X6. I got a can of rust converter spray and gave the swing arm a good going over when I had it off the bike. It's been used elsewhere wherever I see rust starting.

According to many videos I've watched the gear lever does some funny stuff when it gets clouted - like bending up behind the footpeg! So I bought a folding steel gear lever for a Suzuki DS80 cheap and got it welded on to try and save damage.

Some guys have issues with poor running in cross-winds where carb versions can stutter due to pressure on the Carb diaphram (so I have heard), this seems to be fixed by re-routing the carb vent pipe up under the seat where it lies flat.

The sidestand dug in early on corners and did not lean the bike over enough when parked so I filed its mount both ways to improve it.

It appears that the 2 small cylinder head side mount bolts on the On side's only job is to stop the oil that leaks past them. This they fail to do. I replaced those bolts with 40mm long items (M6x40) as the holes are threaded right through. Later I heard just putting some Threebond under the washers will also stop the oil weeps.

I was worried about scratches and dings to the petrol tank so I had it clear coated with Caprothane which is a 2-pack treatment. Very hard and shiny and fairly cheap to get done. May be of some use to you.

Service the brake calipers as they pistons are of dubious quality an, once again, preventative maintenance will pay off.

I pinched a lot of info from guys on youtube so as the evenings close in you may find that a happy hunting ground for ideas.

Hope this helps Trev :)

Crikey,,,,  I,v had mine over 3300 miles and done nothing to it beside got an extra bit of screen to clip on top of the old screen... I find the front shock horrible too non compliant,,you can get a kit from  Wassels   (            https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/royal_enfield/himalayan/18/picture/fork_upgrade_kit_by_yss  

)   to sort this out...  Off road I find the bike heavy for the power available,,do,nt get me wrong its tough enough,but is your friend?            infact I,v stopped going off road with it ,its too much of a work out...   I think the intake side of the engine could do with sorting ,,,,from Hitchcocks you can get a blanking kit for the emission stuff about £20...   Personnel y I would not bother getting a new exhaust can,,The bike comes stock with a pretty mellow exhaust note (but I,m not into loud exhaust s anyway)...  I,v never beeen a guy to keep my bikes clean (infact after 2yrs 6mths I,v only cleaned it once) but I do lather in sprayon grease,,and with all the mud and stuff it forms a pretty waterproof layer,,,,But   eventually I had to clean it (the Mrs wanted a lift)  So I washed in diesel ,,then in this Upol stuff(its like good thinners,,,then with cheap car washsoap,,,At first all looked ok ,,but with in an hour the spokes had started to rust,, Rims are great but spokes are a disaster  and a few other bits,,,  Errrr what else?     I have been tempted to cut out the cat,, I think it would breath better ,,but I,v never heard anybody do that... Thats about all I can think of ,, On another note ,,,I took out the BM after a very frustrating day faffing around trying to fit a tyre monitoring kit   ,what a faff,, and after getting it fitted I turn the bike on only to discover I had fitted the LED unit up side down  and will have to drill more holes in the body work to sort out,,,,,, SSSSSSSSSSo *uck it went for a ride instead....This was saturday evening ,,it was cold but the roads where empty,,, I had a great ride though the farmers had left a lot of glump on the road ,,I ended up in Mablethorpe  ( checkout sandracing, Mablethorp is the sand racing capital of the world ,and its free to watch) and went for a meal,,, Since Covid startted I never had a good meal out and this was no  exception...I,v been rambling on too long ,,got to go ,,regards

Edited by lipsee
misstake
  • Like 2

Argyll

I don't do any off roading on my Himalayan but I do spend a lot of time on pretty manky country lanes. I ride for a week, give the bike a wash and spray all over with Bilt Hamber's corrosion protector - safe on spokes and discs etc. It's water based so no oily film. Only have about 1300 miles on it and,  not surprisingly,  it's still in showroom condition. Like Phil, the only mod is a clip on thingy for the screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slowboy
4 hours ago, Trev said:

Hope you've had a good weekend? No rush, when convenient, thanks - Trev

Pm on the way

Trev
4 hours ago, slowboy said:

Pm on the way

Thanks, yup that tyre looks like it will kill me, I'll have it :thumbsup:

PM me with how much you want for it and I'll pop down and pick it up, great excuse for a trip to Devon, it will probably even be dry this time of year  ......... not.

slowboy
11 minutes ago, Trev said:

Thanks, yup that tyre looks like it will kill me, I'll have it :thumbsup:

PM me with how much you want for it and I'll pop down and pick it up, great excuse for a trip to Devon, it will probably even be dry this time of year  ......... not.

Done.👍

usabikes
10 hours ago, lipsee said:

Crikey,,,,  I,v had mine over 3300 miles and done nothing to it beside got an extra bit of screen to clip on top of the old screen... I find the front shock horrible too non compliant,,you can get a kit from  Wassels   (            https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/royal_enfield/himalayan/18/picture/fork_upgrade_kit_by_yss  

)   to sort this out...  Off road I find the bike heavy for the power available,,do,nt get me wrong its tough enough,but is your friend?            infact I,v stopped going off road with it ,its too much of a work out...   I think the intake side of the engine could do with sorting ,,,,from Hitchcocks you can get a blanking kit for the emission stuff about £20...   Personnel y I would not bother getting a new exhaust can,,The bike comes stock with a pretty mellow exhaust note (but I,m not into loud exhaust s anyway)...  I,v never beeen a guy to keep my bikes clean (infact after 2yrs 6mths I,v only cleaned it once) but I do lather in sprayon grease,,and with all the mud and stuff it forms a pretty waterproof layer,,,,But   eventually I had to clean it (the Mrs wanted a lift)  So I washed in diesel ,,then in this Upol stuff(its like good thinners,,,then with cheap car washsoap,,,At first all looked ok ,,but with in an hour the spokes had started to rust,, Rims are great but spokes are a disaster  and a few other bits,,,  Errrr what else?     I have been tempted to cut out the cat,, I think it would breath better ,,but I,v never heard anybody do that... Thats about all I can think of ,,

Yeah...this is what happens when you buy a used bike at the beginning of winter and have had far longer to research stuff than to ride it :baby:

Got to say I'm pretty happy with the suspension at both ends. It's fine on rough roads and off-road for me (at a pretty low level of dirt riding ability) but I've heard good things about the YSS stuff at both ends. As I say, the de-cat did a marvelous job in cleaning up my early version's carburetion and I am happy with what I got for the money.

Like you I prefer the quiet exhaust but I've just ordered a can for its weight saving - although I know I will almost certainly lose power with it - and I'll leave the baffle in. I just ordered some Double-take mirrors because itchy boots had them they won't get broken when I inevitably drop it. 

I sprayed the bike with FS365 for weather protection and only clean it with water when it's genuinely muddy. Otherwise it's Simple Green or similar. I've never washed bikes since back in the 70's when the Jap stuff was still prone to rusting:cry:

Make the most of the nice Autumn days Phil!

• Like 3