sams700

Tenere v Tracer 700

sams700

I have been wondering about which bike to get post my excursion into KTM ownership.   Something less complicated electronically and dare I say, more robust.  If I brutally honest it’s mainly about the looks and the choice is really between the Tracer 700 and Tenere 700.

i know the latter will never be taken off-road by me - I don’t have the skills or confidence. At most it will be very light gravel roads something which the Tracer can easily cope with (as can the NC750x, CB500x etc).  In theory the riding position is better on the Tenere but I am not enthusiastic about tubed tires and a conversion to tubeless is too expensive.  Also I know there have been some conversions to 17/18 inch fronts but they are mostly home grown.

So are there a lot of people who can really ride these adv bikes properly off-road or is a road bike, like the Tracer, a better bet?

fj_stuart

If you’re not going off-road I can’t see any advantage in the Tenere (unless you prefer the looks) Also it’s really tall. I’m 5’10” and I could just about ride one but not comfortably. And, yes, tubed tyres should be avoided like the plague.

• Like 2

slowboy
4 hours ago, sams700 said:

....So are there a lot of people who can really ride these adv bikes properly off-road or is a road bike, like the Tracer, a better bet?

At the risk of being controversial, no, no there aren’t. For most of us who are tall enough, they can be a very comfortable touring bike that can be enjoyed on forest tracks. For serious off road, most of us need something with a single cylinder engine that’s 80 to 100 kilos lighter. 
Think of it a bit like full on sports bikes, very few of us (including me, even when I thought I was quick😂) could stick them on the front three rows of a super sport grid😁😁

Doesn’t stop us buying them, which is fine if that’s what you want, but the “awesome off road” expectation is heavily biased to the riders talent, not the bike😎

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 2

wingrider.steve

I've ridden both the Tracer 700 and Tenere 700 and enjoyed both apart from one thing and that was the seat on the Tenere, it is not comfortable at all and certainly nowhere near as comfortable as the one on the 700 Tracer.

• Like 1

Andy m
37 minutes ago, wingrider.steve said:

... the seat on the Tenere, it is not comfortable at all ....

You're supposed to stand up.

Andy

• Haha 6

sams700

I know that the tracer is the better bike for me but I can't get over the looks. 

I am hoping Honda's new Transalp or equivalant is good. 

Scootabout
1 hour ago, sams700 said:

I know that the tracer is the better bike for me but I can't get over the looks. 

It kept me from getting one for a while. Eventually I realised I wouldn't have to look at it while I was riding it :D

• Like 2

larryblag

The front end on the new Tracer 700 looks unfinished - like there's a piece still in the crate they forgot to install, found later and threw in the skip. I think it's the corporate look as it's the same on the MT09 and MT10. That was a year ago. Now I look at one, it's kind of grown on me? Or at the least I've become more used to its "stare".

• Like 1

larryblag

MC commute reckon the Tenere 700 could be the ideal daily driver too👍

sams700
3 hours ago, larryblag said:

MC commute reckon the Tenere 700 could be the ideal daily driver too👍

Don't tempt me lol

• Like 1