slowboy

Bargain Africa Twins

Trev
1 hour ago, Radarman said:

I think it might be better bond with "your" bikes for you Trev and Mason (and others too) but to be honest none of your almost classic bikes you mentioned with a lot of chrome are not designed to be ridden in wet and salt. They are your sunny day toys for shorter rides while AT and GS are pure "workhorses". Maybe that's why your Ennie or Triumph are so special and GS and AT are just bikes.

The other thing is you own more than one bike: one of them is more down to earth, sensible solution while the others are just something you probably always wanted to have. Hence the latter are so special.

To me AT is my only bike and is like Swiss army knife: is not the best chef's knife nor the Wera screwdriver and might not be the nicest looking tool. But I'm sure it can take me reliably from point A to B doesn't matter the weather, road type/condition and distance between those points. That's why I like it very much :thumbsup:

I do know what you mean about the AT, it never feels like it's going to let me down (even the much maligned tubes !) and, like that favourite sweatshirt, it just 'fits'. One of Mr Honda's truly great bikes :thumbsup:

• Like 3

larryblag

What's the seat height with the low seat? I went to see the first gen AT. Walked up to it like you walk up to a horse. It loomed so large from my visual perspective, I turned straight round and walked back to the NC shaking my head 😂

• Like 1

Trev
3 hours ago, larryblag said:

What's the seat height with the low seat? I went to see the first gen AT. Walked up to it like you walk up to a horse. It loomed so large from my visual perspective, I turned straight round and walked back to the NC shaking my head 😂

According to the specs, the standard seat (which I have) is 34.3" on the high setting, 33.5" on the low setting. I will say that, even on the high setting, I can nearly flat foot my 2016 DCT version (I'm a 33in inseam) as the seat is quite narrow at the front and the suspension sinks a lot, even when on a high preload like I have. I wasn't able to flat foot my 2012 NC700X even though the seat height was supposedly a couple of inches lower (not 100% sure on this  as found conflicting tinternet info on this ..... surely not?)

I will say that the AT is a right lump of bike and even though an absolute doddle to ride, even at slow speed, I'm glad I can get a hefty foot down to move it about when parking up, manoeuvring around. I've neve been an 'IAM get off and push and pull your bike about type' but found I have had to more and more with the AT as it's such a lump. At least in this respect it stands toe to toe with the GS in the Starbucks car park spec war :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KingJames

The width of the bars are a turn off for the use case of getting into and out of London quickly.

• Like 1

Trev
4 hours ago, KingJames said:

The width of the bars are a turn off for the use case of getting into and out of London quickly.

I expect so as they're definitely off road orientated, both in width and position in relation to the pegs I but guess Honda didn't have city commuting too near their top of priorities for the AT :D

KingJames

Which is why we need a road version! :devil:

baben

The pcp thing has an extra factor. My local Yamaha dealer is shifting used bikes easily - to continental dealers. They can get nearly new bikes here very cheaply and sell them for a big profit on the continent where new bikes are far more expensive because of local tax regulations. I think that is the reason anyway.

bikes.jpg.81aaeaae313ff6d4fac692ce3dba9175.jpg

Edited by baben
  • Like 2

kayz1

Used to be the other way around, i remember going to Germany a year or 16 ago to buy a bike and ride home to Dover...to spend 5 days in a Travel lodge to Register it:D

But was well worth the hassle with the price of new bikes here...Could have been a year or three before even:angel: fink i am getting old.:oldfart:

slowboy
42 minutes ago, baben said:

The pcp thing has an extra factor. My local Yamaha dealer is shifting used bikes easily - to continental dealers. They can get nearly new bikes here very cheaply and sell them for a big profit on the continent where new bikes are far more expensive because of local tax regulations. I think that is the reason anyway.

bikes.jpg.81aaeaae313ff6d4fac692ce3dba9175.jpg

Its been a lucrative trade for some time. It would be interesting to see how many new bikes were registered between 2016 and 2017 and how many of those are on the system as “permanently exported”. We tend not to ride our bikes as much as they do in the rest of Europe, so we’re a good source of low mileage used vehicles and with modern dashboards being switchable, it’s even less of an issue.

• Like 1