baben

Clutch issue - for the CB schism

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Heat seems to do something but I can't put my finger on it. 

Andy

Is that because it's too hot?😁

• Haha 2

Trev

Although I'm no fan of the 'tack another thing on the spec list for no good reason other than to con people this years bike is better and you need to change' marketing that has resulted in slipper clutches going 'mainstream' ...... (and breathe) ...... it could well be nothing to do with the slipper part of the clutch and just that the design is more sensitive to 'overheating' and the type of riding/amount of clutch slipping that you guys were doing just exasperated the issue.

Some of my bikes, most noticeably the MT660, have been prone to the clutch lever biting nearer and nearer the grip after lots of clutch slip (who said wheely practice? :whistle:) and perhaps older/thinner oil adds to the issue. I wouldn't have thought that oil level just above the low marker would be an issue but again, that depends to some extent on the design parameters of the motor and clutch and perhaps, just perhaps, the CB is a little too near the envelope.  You would have thought however that Honda knew the middleweight would be a fair bet for a few commuters, and hence lots of slow speeds and clutch use, and engineered it accordingly :hmm:?

Edited by Trev

Rocker66

I’m happy to say that none of my 3 CB500Xs have shown any sign of clutch problems so far.🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

baben
29 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I’m happy to say that none of my 3 CB500Xs have shown any sign of clutch problems so far.🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I must admit that I am in a state of denial that a Honda could go wrong!

• Haha 1

Rocker66
7 minutes ago, baben said:

Please let us know if you have any further clutch ( or any other) problem as you now have me concerned.

Trev
8 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Please let us know if you have any further clutch ( or any other) problem as you now have me concerned.

Rocker, I wouldn't worry, Honda have sold thousands of the things and the issue hasn't been common place, and Glendon and Andy's  experiences could be one offs. Certainly Andy has been giving the bike a bit more stick than is usual and even he's only reporting 'an odd feel' not a real problem. It would be interesting to hear whether Glendon gets a repeat and, if so, under what circumstances and whether the clutch returned to 'normal' after a wait?

Just go easy on the wheely practice in the meantime :thumbsup:

Mister Paul
4 hours ago, baben said:

I took mine out for a brief run to warm then motor so I could check the oil. It felt different but I could not say exactly how. The oil was on the low side though - just above the low level mark. When it locked up I was not long out of a crawl through the centre of Warwick. Could simple over heating be the issue? If so I am not happy!

Is this the new bike with the slipper clutch?

I don't know the answer, I'm just curious.

baben
1 hour ago, Mister Paul said:

Is this the new bike with the slipper clutch?

I don't know the answer, I'm just curious.

Yep. To be specific it is the red ones - both Andy and I bought red ones. Rocker has a white one and that is fine:devil:

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

outrunner
2 hours ago, baben said:

No need for denial, from personal experience they do go wrong, just not very often.

Andy.

MatBin
1 hour ago, outrunner said:

No need for denial, from personal experience they do go wrong, just not very often.

Andy.

My '79 CX blew up.

Mister Paul
7 minutes ago, MatBin said:

My '79 CX blew up.

My SH300i engine was built without a head gasket on it.

It didn't blow up though.

• Haha 1

Trev
11 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

My SH300i engine was built without a head gasket on it.

Ooh a bit of extra power, we would have killed for that on our mopeds at 16 years old

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Andy m

If there is anything, it is slipper clutch related. Probably not the slippy bit even, but my 2018 F had nothing comparable.

Andy

crazyhorse

I think slipper clutches do feel a bit different, could just be that? Mine feels a bit strange sometimes too.

baben
36 minutes ago, crazyhorse said:

I think slipper clutches do feel a bit different, could just be that? Mine feels a bit strange sometimes too.

Mine went from normal to unworkable in about two minutes, then back to working after about seven hours.

Andy m
2 hours ago, crazyhorse said:

If it was consistent yes, but nothing mechanical should be variable. The bite point in my case moves by roughly 3mm and in Glendon's case went off the scale, the cable going slack. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m

Tex

Don’t be too quick to write off slipper clutches as ‘unnecessary frippery’. They allow some among us to keep riding a manual machine when the alternative would be a DCT or T&G.

I freely admit that their primary function (avoiding a rear wheel lock up during ham fisted downshifting) is seldom required on the public road, or is it? Maybe newer riders benefit in the same way as ABS benefits us all?

But leaving that aside, the light action is of immeasurable benefit to old codgers like myself and Glendon (who should have bought a Triumph anyway.. ;):) ) as it allows us to keep on. :niceone:

• Like 6

baben
1 minute ago, Tex said:

who should have bought a Triumph anyway.. ;):) ) as it allows us to keep on. :niceone:

Pah! You wouldn't sell it to me.:devil:

• Haha 5

slowboy
47 minutes ago, Tex said:

Don’t be too quick to write off slipper clutches as ‘unnecessary frippery’. They allow some among us to keep riding a manual machine when the alternative would be a DCT or T&G.

Anyone whose ever ridden a Laverda Jota knows just what you mean 😂😂

• Haha 2

Tex
46 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Aye, I found much to admire about Laverda machines. But lightness of controls wasn’t among them.. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

kayz1
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

That's me then,,C/B motorcycles have a Laverda in and i could not pull the clutch leaver in:D

Edited by kayz1
  • Haha 3

skorpion
17 hours ago, MatBin said:

My '79 CX blew up.

Mine new bike came fitted with over sized big end shells. 

skorpion
2 minutes ago, skorpion said:

Mine new 1981 CX came fitted with over sized big end shells. 

MatBin

To be fair I think mine seized because the oil filter disintegrated as it wasn't a genuine product ( in my opinion ). Genuine Honda part according to the supplying dealer, should have taken it up with Honda UK, but didn't.

My boy picks up his CB500X next week, will keep a weather eye on this thread.

baben

Well Ruby was booked in to the dealer this morning. I am about 30 miles from them, along a cracking B road then a fast dual carriageway. The weather was Biblical, as in Noah and the flood biblical and the clutch did not feel good - in fact it was stiffening up. By the time I got to the fast dual carriageway bit the clutch lever was not returning properly and I had visions of the last couple of miles, through suburbia, being a nightmare. Anyway, pinned it down the Norwich outer ringroad for ten miles and then peeled off onto the superb, though pointless Northern distributor (doesn't distribute anything as it was never completed) at which point I realised the clutch was back to feeling utterly normal! So I arrived at the dealers and had to tell them that it was buggered but now seems fine.....So the dealer just phoned - they cannot find a fault! Had the clutch cover off - all seems well. This totally undermines my confidence in the bike.:(

• Sad 1