Andy m

Spot light

Andy m

Q: How can you ID a Honda LED Headlight in the dark?

A: Hold it up to your ear like a seashell. If you can hear the ghost of Joe Lucas laughing its the real thing.

This morning I had a slow ride in the dark, the Strines road into the peaks. The CB500X's headlight, after adjustment to stop it dazzling oncoming traffic remains useless. The beam is so flat you've simply a choice of which yard of road directly ahead you'd like to see. The CB's massive acceleration and braking forces are equally capable of moving the illuminated patch up or down the road at random ☹️

So, spot lights. I think I want one "pool" type to give a splash into hedgerows and a more focused type to get some light up the road. Do such things exist? Any recommendations? Probably going to go cheap/Chinese though as they all seem to fail and I do a run like this maybe five times a year, so no point spending hundreds. 

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1

Tel

Andy, have they still got the peacocks at The Strines Inn? Bloody hazard when they wander into the road, especially in low-light...

I haven't been there since my accident unfortunately...

• Sad 1

Andy m

None today, do they hibernate? I think I saw them last time, maybe June. 

Andy

• Like 1

Dunnster

Best bet might be to get single lights, one spot 1 flood, wire them together once you've got them set up how you'd like, when you've got  your ideal illumination pattern. 

• Like 1

slowboy
56 minutes ago, Andy m said:

None today, do they hibernate? I think I saw them last time, maybe June. 

Andy

Christmas is coming, they’ve taken cover......,😁

• Haha 2

MatBin

Last one I saw tried to take cover inside my car radiator grill, unfortunately for him I was doing 60 and he was doing 0, that is until we made contact, then he too was doing 60. Wife didn't want me to pluck it, hang it and eat it.

slowboy

Andy, the cheap auxiliary lights can be had in spot and flood, one of each is ideal. I’d use the four LED types rather than the single ones, only because they might not be over locking them so much so they might last longer. I’d just buy the cheapest and most numerous knowing they’ll be failing at some point and I’d be replacing them. Denali lights are very good, but you can have about five or six cheap sets for the same money. Especially as you’re likely to replace the bike before you get through that many 😎😁😂

• Like 2

Trev

Sorry to hear about the LED on the CB, have to say the LED setup on the AT is superb, by far the best lights I've ever had on a bike :thumbsup:

Mr Toad
19 hours ago, Trev said:

Sorry to hear about the LED on the CB, have to say the LED setup on the AT is superb, by far the best lights I've ever had on a bike :thumbsup:

Likewise on the GS, excellent lights..................I'm sure the Enfield will somewhat different. My Bonneville was dire, the first time I rode in the dark I wasn't even sure it was on and had to check! Replacing the lamp with a good quality one did make a huge difference, despite what it says on the lamp they are not all created equal.

Andy m

The CB500F was much better. I mostly managed with the NC after a lot of messing about with adjustment. 

I'm forming the opinion that because the beams are so narrow it is critical where the light is in relation to the riders eyes. The fact the X's light is fixed ahead makes it worse. I have cheapish spots arriving today.

The Enfield headlight is fine for what it is, I doubt you'll want to blat through kielder at 50 mph. I would be wary of fitting a higher Wattage lamp. The wiring is not the best and there is no room for a relay. 

Andy

• Thanks 1

Haggard Rider

A pair of 6" Cibies with100w bulbs should do the trick I reckon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

outrunner

What you want is a set of KC Daylighters, they will melt the paint off oncoming vehicles. :D

Andy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trev
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

Likewise on the GS, excellent lights..................I'm sure the Enfield will somewhat different. My Bonneville was dire, the first time I rode in the dark I wasn't even sure it was on and had to check! Replacing the lamp with a good quality one did make a huge difference, despite what it says on the lamp they are not all created equal.

1 hour ago, Andy m said:

The Enfield headlight is fine for what it is, I doubt you'll want to blat through kielder at 50 mph. I would be wary of fitting a higher Wattage lamp. The wiring is not the best and there is no room for a relay. 

Andy

My Enfield light was 'okay', standard fair H4 round headlight, for the odd times I needed it at night until an effort to upgrade the bulb saw me drop it and shatter the glass. Cue a cheap Indian replacement, perfect apart from it now points so low that main beam isn't even anywhere near dip - all but useless. They're non-adjustable and efforts at packing it out haven't worked so  a genuine replacement from Hitchcocks is on 'the list' :blink:

• Like 2

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Andy

I was thinking less about higher wattage lamps and more about a better quality lamp of the correct wattage. 

Having said that I haven't had chance to ride it in the dark and you're right about not wanting to ride at 50 mph through the Kielder but there are a lot of unlit country roads near me. I think Trev is right and that the Enfield will okay especially at the low speeds I'l be riding, we shall see.

• Like 1

Andy m
1 hour ago, Trev said:

. They're non-adjustable and efforts at packing it out haven't worked so  a genuine replacement from Hitchcocks is on 'the list' :blink:

Bend the tang that hooks it into the nacelle (wait for a warm day!), then you can pack it. Gets you out of full anti-Luftwaffe mode, if nothing else but will never let you aim it correctly.

1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

I was thinking less about higher wattage lamps and more about a better quality lamp of the correct wattage. 

It surprised me, but I never blew an Enfield H4. I guess to survive Indian roads they maybe do use thicker wire.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

baben

Andy, I found this company the other day and they have what you are looking for - I think.

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/fog-and-long-range-led-lights-for-honda-cb-500-x-2019-2019-p-37526.html They also sell single type ones.  Oh, just seen that you have already got some coming.:thumbsup:

Edited by baben
  • Like 1

Andy m

They look SPOT on 😁😁👍😁

I've gone for a hundred quid cheaper, but bookmarked in case cheap isn't cheerful, Thank You. 

Had to use Pooratrek mounts, which are rough, but might get tested at the weekend so I wanted them on. 

20201022-122649-01.jpg

20201022-143940-01.jpg

Now we may have lost the Metal Mickey fanclub shape Honda so thoughtfully include, but this is rather closer to the seeing the bones in your hand effect I'm looking for in a headlight 

20201022-143640-01.jpg

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 4

baben

Looks like the spaceship from Close Encounters! Are they going to damage the plastic if (when) you drop it?

Andy m
16 hours ago, baben said:

Are they going to damage the plastic if (when) you drop it?

ATM the only protection is the fact the handlebars would stop the protection bar actually touching down. I'm likely to cut some plastic as combined buffers and strap holders.

Andy

• Like 2

Andy m

Bit of luck. Turning the black plastic things 90 degrees makes them wide enough to be grounded before the lights hit the plastic. ☺️

Andy

electric_monk

A friend of mine gifted me a set of Clearwater Darla lights after he changed his bike and they are absolutely awesome. Low beam is adjustable with a handlebar mounted dimmer switch and on main beam the lights would burn the paint off most surfaces. Bloody expensive, i'd never have bought them with my own money.

I won't duplicate the answer on HU.

• Like 1