New Tyre Puncture Repaired!

steelhorseuk

steelhorseuk

Hey everyone,

Had a puncture at the back wheel Sunday and had to do a roadside repair, okay not too much of a problem, we mostly all been there.

I am miffed as its a new tyre though with less than 200 miles covered! 

The nail I picked up went through the centre of the rim so the repair itself was easy enough.

I checked it again this morning and its still fully inflated (42psi) 

What would you do here, carry on as normal with the repair in place or have the tyre replaced.

Based on the cost of replacing it again so soon, I am inclined to just carry on and keep an eye on it.

Cannot afford to replace it again so quickly.

Stay safe everyone.

jeremyr62
1 minute ago, Steel Horse UK said:

I am inclined to just carry on and keep an eye on it.

This is what I always do. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Had a rear tyre puncture about three months ago. I had it professional plugged by a mate and all is well. Not lost and pressure at all. It was in the centre of the tread. I'd you you'll be fine but, as you say, keep an eye it and pop any wheelies.

• Thanks 1
fj_stuart

When you say “roadside repair” I guess you plugged the tyre. This is intended to be temporary for a limited miles and speed. You should get a permanent “patch plug” repair done. If you have the facilities to remove a tubeless tyre you can do this yourself.

Here is an article I wrote about doing a temporary then a permanent repair.

https://fjstuart.blogspot.com/2015/10/puncture.html

• Thanks 2
steelhorseuk

Thanks Stuart. Good article!

Well  I do a "roadside" plug next time I in work I take the tyre off look at the punture point fro carcus dammage and use a mushroom perment repair plug and sealer

But I a pro trained in tyre repair 

Yes I would get it profesionly plugged

OK I don't always bother on my 125  but that is different !

• Thanks 1
steelhorseuk
22 minutes ago, davebike said:

Yes I would get it profesionly plugged

Thanks Dave... for the advice.

KingJames

With Dave, I'm riding on a prof plugged rear.  Punctures just part of the experience. 

• Thanks 1
steelhorseuk
1 hour ago, KingJames said:

With Dave, I'm riding on a prof plugged rear.  Punctures just part of the experience. 

Gents, I suppose this will mean tyre off the wheel again and plugged from inside the rim!?

Andy m

What type of temporary repair was used? 

I assume it wasn't a can of some nasty foam? 

Worm? 

Mushroom? 

Given your location you may struggle to get an old fashioned hot iron or internal glue fix, too much money to be made in the SE by adopting a party line that motorcycle tyres cannot be plugged and not enough skilled people to break the cartel. 

A mushroom inserted from the outside or the "8" type Stuart shows will easily last the life of the tyre and actually get better as wear turns a mushroom in a dumbell shape.

https://sites.google.com/site/pooratrek/tyre-repair

£46 on the auction site

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Thanks 1
KingJames
45 minutes ago, Steel Horse UK said:

Gents, I suppose this will mean tyre off the wheel again and plugged from inside the rim!?

Yup, in the 15 to 20 quid region. 

• Thanks 1
KingJames
19 minutes ago, Andy m said:

What type of temporary repair was used? 

I assume it wasn't a can of some nasty foam? 

Worm? 

Mushroom? 

Given your location you may struggle to get an old fashioned hot iron or internal glue fix, too much money to be made in the SE by adopting a party line that motorcycle tyres cannot be plugged and not enough skilled people to break the cartel. 

A mushroom inserted from the outside or the "8" type Stuart shows will easily last the life of the tyre and actually get better as wear turns a mushroom in a dumbell shape.

https://sites.google.com/site/pooratrek/tyre-repair

£46 on the auction site

Andy

"Only insert lubricated plugs", "Ring piece", "Red ring" :blink:

This was written for the minority childish bunch of bikers.  :devil:

Edited by KingJames
  • Haha 3
steelhorseuk

Hi Andy,

No, definitely not that tyre weld stuff.

I plugged it with the standard off the shelf tubeless motorcycle puncture repair kit.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74251

I was surprised how easy it was actually. Never done that repair before.

Andy m
28 minutes ago, Steel Horse UK said:

I plugged it with the standard off the shelf tubeless motorcycle puncture repair kit.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74251

T'worms.

I have ridden a couple of T'wormed tyres further than "get you home". One was fine, the other started to lose pressure after maybe 1000 miles. That was when I switched to mushroom plugs.

It's debatable and probably covered by a certain fundamental law that if you take the tyre off you will see a T'worm formed into a perfect mushroom shape by pure luck, if you don't it'll be like a champagne cork :ermm:  You can't predict what the t'worm does inside as you withdraw the hook-needle thingy.

Andy 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Steel Horse UK said:

Indeed it will. If you can take the loose wheel to the shop in may only cost you a tenner. 

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Steel Horse UK said:

What would you do here, carry on as normal with the repair in place or have the tyre replaced.

I had the same thing happen with a PR4. I ran it until I was going on holidays and changed it out. It had been solid up to that point. about 4 months with no problems.

I just kept an eye on it.

• Like 1

on assumption it was plugged from the outside, I would get it professionally plugged from the inside via mushroom and carry on ridding on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
KingJames

It's a bike with 55BHP and can only go 90mph typically running tyres that will go 149+.   I'll go several plugs for the life of the tyre as long as in the fat bits of the tyre and air tight.

Edited by KingJames
  • Like 1

Like others, get a professional to check it out. I personally view both tyres and brakes as absolutely essential thus would avoid any risk with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A pro tyre repair includes

Remove the tyre  well at least one side

Examan the punure and area around it to see the carcus in not esesivly dammaged

Remove temp plug ot punturing object ream hole clean around it with either an abrasive or a liquid "buffer"

Apply solution around punture to at least the size of the mushrooms's head

Apply soluion to the mushroom both head and stalk and thread it in  smot the head into firm contact may be roller

Consider using innerliner sealer

Replace tyre over inflate replace wheel on bike set pressure and trim stalk of mushroom !

I charge £30 on normal bikes £40+ on scooters! (not NC) the ones you have to remove exhaust 1/2 a swing arm etc !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Professional repairers have to abide by a code which dictates if tyre can be repaired or needs to be scrapped, so I would take to pro repair shop. I have had numerous tyres properly repaired and they have all been fine. For me it would also depend on which bike, obviously an NC being ridden gently would be less at risk than say a hyper sports bike, but I believe high performance bike tyres can't be repaired anyway for safety reasons.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

Ask a dentist if you need a thousand pounds of work and see how many tell you not to bother. Unfortunately some tyre fitters seem to work on the same basis either because sellers of tyres frighten them with lawyers or they just want to sell you £100+ instead of £30. If the puncture is a straight hole in the tread it can be repaired. In the sidewall or with cords hanging out, chances are the temporary repair wouldn't have worked.

Andy

• Like 1
fj_stuart

In this area I have some sympathy for the trade. It’s a lot of hassle removing a wheel and tyre and doing a repair. I wouldn’t be happy trying to make a living this way for £30 a pop. A lot less trouble just persuading the customer to fit a new tyre.

• Like 1
Andy m

Fair enough, I would tend to agree, but why invent some fake excuse? Tell the owner a plug will be £75 because its a ****ache of a job. 

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

I have repaired several tyres the have had the no mate not reparable said about them  most were not even clost to the limet!

No I will not repair if close to th edge of the tread or in the sidewall nor will I repair if there is sigifent carcus dammage or if the tyre is full of sealent as I don't know how it will effect my patch and supplier say do NOT !  I also very very nervious about front puntures there un common  and a patch fail could result in a nasty!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2