Help with wheel work

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi

Today I removed the rear wheel on the Crf250l changed the tyre and greased all the suspension links, it took me about an hour and a half BUT putting the wheel back in took me another hour and a half  spacers fell out, pads fell out, what job,  I must be missing a trick,  there must be an easier way.

Help.

Edited by Grumpy old man
Slowboy
4 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hi

Today I removed the rear wheel on the Crf250l changed the tyre and greased all the suspension links, it took me about an hour and a half BUT putting the wheel back in took me another hour and a half  spacers fell out, pads fell out, what job,  I must be missing a trick,  there must be an easier way.

Help.

There is. Use a couple of short 2” lengths of standard garden hose to hold the spacers in place. Push them into the wheel until it is flush with the spacers. Offer the wheel up into position and tap the axle into place with a soft mallet (other hitting tools are available). And viola, the axle drives out the bits of hose through the wheel, out swing arm and the spacers stay put as the axle appears on the other side. 

Someone else showed me this when fixing a puncture on the road when I’d reached the point of frustration where a fag was very definitely going in the tank of the CRF250 Rally. Always carried a couple of bits of garden hose after that.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Dunnster
55 minutes ago, slowboy said:

There is. Use a couple of short 2” lengths of standard garden hose to hold the spacers in place. Push them into the wheel until it is flush with the spacers. Offer the wheel up into position and tap the axle into place with a soft mallet (other hitting tools are available). And viola, the axle drives out the bits of hose through the wheel, out swing arm and the spacers stay put as the axle appears on the other side. 

Someone else showed me this when fixing a puncture on the road when I’d reached the point of frustration where a fag was very definitely going in the tank of the CRF250 Rally. Always carried a couple of bits of garden hose after that.

What a brilliant top tip! Thanks for sharing  :flowers:

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

Tried it but with one length of hose cut to size, Grrrrr! Think my problem was the wheel was too high off the ground. But on the hose front I'm going to get a piece of Dowling the right diameter and cut that to size.

Thanks