Workshop consumables

Trev

I know there are plenty of knowledgeable, keen home mechanics on here so thought I would see who you peeps use for your consumables; chain, brake, carb cleaner, anti freeze, oils,  mechanics gloves, etc, etc

outrunner

I buy most of my stuff from the local bike shop, if you don't use it you lose it.

Andy.

• Like 2

Brake cleaner oils and gloves i use CES Parts alliance group via the Lads garage:D Trade parts are also cheap for VW parts and brake cleaner.. £12 for 5Lt but the spray that does not disintegrate is £14   PS: motor cycle oils i get from a dealer or the net.

Edited by kayz1
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, outrunner said:

I buy most of my stuff from the local bike shop, if you don't use it you lose it.

Cheers Andy, I do use my local motor factor shop when buying the odd can or two but I want to build a stock of items and it would cost a fortune to buy at top retail prices. 

Slowboy

Opie oils for.....oil, Wemoto for filters and other consumables, whoever’s the cheapest for the tyres I want (fit and balance my own). 

That’s about it really. Oh and South East Asia Cycles in Thailand for those hard to get C90 bits.😁

I usually have a rummage around the web for most stuff. I always use Castrol GTX in my other bikes but the NC is deferent so I use the products from Opie. Gloves I usually pick up from the likes of Wilko or B&Q and their like. Tyres usually on line from My Tyres dot co dot uk, good prices and delivery service. I've not my NC long enough yet to buy spares but will have to soon. Fowlers seem to be the place to go for these.

poldark

Eurocarparts for many generic items (brake fluid, antifreeze, cleaner sprays, nitrile gloves) they also do fully synthetic oil that I've used in my cars and scooters for some years.

They don't list bike oils but they offer Shell AX7 sadly only 10W40, so no good for the NC.

Hiflo filters and Brisk or NGK Iridium plugs from Brooks Barn or other "official" Fleabay seller.

Edited by poldark
  • Like 1
Thosoneill

For the car eurocarparts or carparts4less - for the bike fleabay or of late bikespeeduk dot com 

• Thanks 1
Perthshire

I have bought a number of things from these guys,  mainly because their website has some useful comments about being used.  https://www.bikerstoolbox.co.uk/index.html

Welcome to  The Biker's Toolbox

Biker's Toolbox is run by motorcycle enthusiasts with a wealth of knowledge and experience in the motorcycle trade and engineering spanning decades. We are Bikers and we know what Bikers want - Good value and good service!

Like many of you, we miss the good old days when you could go to tool shops and be helped by knowledgable staff with a love of their products.On this web site we aim to sell you the products we know to be good through personal experience. We do our best to keep our prices as low as possible, but obviously there will always be quick-buck merchants selling ridiculously cheap on-line, but they can give real service and will they still be there if you have a problem a few months down the road? Will they give a damn? We want to build a positive relationship with our customers for years to come through good service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Mr Toad

For the cars I use Eurocarparts, they always have reductions and there's one chap who works at my local store that will often reduce the price even more if you ask him if that's his best price. He's a duty manager, any of the others just use whatever the computer says.

I recently changed the pollen filter on the Jeep as part of the service and had found one for a very reasonable price on fleabay. When I went to Eurocarparts to pick up the oil and other bits I mentioned the pollen filter and the price and they said......yeah, we can do you one for that. 

For the bikes I use fleabay, I recently ordered all the service items for the GS engine and shaft service.

Note to self.  The bike isn't going to service itself, get out there and do it....

20201107-101414.jpg

• Thanks 1
poldark

Glad to see someone else with Westway oil, I used their 10W30 in the DCT last year.

• Like 2
Mr Toad
8 minutes ago, poldark said:

Glad to see someone else with Westway oil, I used their 10W30 in the DCT last year.

Been using them for ages, they were recommended to me years ago and I find it as good as any I've ever tried.

When you consider what it costs it definitely goes some way to explaining what the 'branded' and 'premium branded' oils must spend on advertising.

• Thanks 1

Nice picture Mr Toad, I like the refillable oil can, I use one of those with the long spout, you can get to the places where the oil can really reach, ie above centre stand, and it costs nothing to refill. Ideal also for lubing the chain, being metal rest it on the chain and spin the wheel. of course everyone has a centre stand. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Blackmoon181

Recommend westways aswell. Usually next day delivery as well. Have used them to the majority of lubricant needs Inc 2 stroke and chainsaw oil