Anyone running OAT coolant

Steve Case

Steve Case

I have previously changed a couple of bikes from the Blue to the Orange to get the better rust protection, however as I read more on it it turns out there is more than one type of OAT coolant.

I think OAT used in Europe does not contain silicates and I believe this is preferable as the silicates can attack rubberised components, however it is a very muddied pond so I would like some feedback on what other people have done.

I am sure Honda say silicate free Please..

Grumpy old man

I use Halfords OAT silicates free have done for around 4 years 🤞alls been good.

Slowboy

Yes, and if you use any coolant with silicates in an NC, it won’t be long before the water pump seal fails. So long as it’s silicate free it’s fine.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
Steve Case

Excellent, I'm still humming and harring over using OAT as the coolant will need changed when the valves are checked as far as I can see. So probably every 2 years.

Reason I've used it in the past is the Triumph does not get used that often so I wanted the extra corrosion protection and the Burgman it was the only coolant change it was going to get so it needed to last.

Thanks for the replys, it kinda helps clear the fog a little.

I'm using some locally produced (apparently) generic stuff. I did check for silicate free before putting it in, so far so good

IMG-20201111-145424399-2.jpg

Halfords OAT (pink) premixed or suitably diluted from neat is what I have used in several Hondas over the last 10 years. It is silicate free and has the corrosion inhibitors required (see @Jamesco pic for details).

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Bugsy said:

Halfords OAT (pink) premixed or suitably diluted from neat is what I have used in several Hondas over the last 10 years. It is silicate free and has the corrosion inhibitors required (see @Jamesco pic for details).

Me too. For one thing it lasts five years. The other thing, as has been said, is that it has no silicates to cause wear on the water pump seal. I haven’t had to change the original coolant in my two current Hondas yet but I’ll use the Halfords pink OAT when I do. 

Just for the record (and for those interested) I believe Triumph recommend HOAT antifreeze rather than OAT or IAT. Although I really can’t see it being that critical. I’m due to do the Bonnie this winter (if I can get near the bloody workshop) and will try and get the stuff they advise. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Steve Case

In Halfords and the ethylene glycol blue coolant has silicates, and the OAT pink is silicate free so thats an easy choice.

Before anyone says I know the OAT has an ethylene glycole base and is sometimes a different colour, but its easier to call it pink OAT...

Just one last question before I sign off, what are phospates, are they bad, and are they included in coolant in the UK?