Battery and cold weather ?

blan

I'm interested to know, how many NC owners have battery issues in cold weather? 

My nc700x using a Yuasa YTZ14S is just the pits to start in cold weather. The battery is 2&1/2 years old but even from new just like its predecessor hates the cold. Summer is no problem but as soon as we hit October and it cools off a bit the problem starts. I use the bike daily for work but its only a 5 maybe 10 minute commute, I have to make one 30 minute journey a week also but I know its not getting a decent charge when in use so I have to stick my charger on it every so often. Last week thought I charged it but as I was off work for a week didnt use it for a couple of days (weather was cold), when I did use it next it started on my outward journey but was dead for the return journey, that was so much fun, not! Im now so fed up with this that when not in use my bike is permanently connected to the charger (in Maintenance mode) is it just me or does anyone else have trouble starting in the cold ?

The real problem is that your battery never gets a proper charge, as you don't ride it for long enough. You've already identified the problem and solution?

• Like 2

Yes short commute cold weather I recomend a maintance charge for some hours every week !

Slowboy

What Ted and Dave bike said. A short commute will not maintain the battery. Also, have you got a USB charger connected to the battery? These have a low but steady current drain even when not charging and it is better to have them switched by the ignition rather than permanently connected.

Mine used to commute 60 miles a day, 30 miles and 45 mins each way, and after 4 years was still on its original battery and a snappy starter in all weathers. 
Light use is not a good thing for batteries.

Forgot to say Alarm or tracker  you will need to keep charging unless used every day !

1 hour ago, slowboy said:

Light use is not a good thing for batteries.

Or exhausts, or engine oil.

9 hours ago, blan said:

I'm interested to know, how many NC owners have battery issues in cold weather? 

My nc700x using a Yuasa YTZ14S is just the pits to start in cold weather. The battery is 2&1/2 years old but even from new just like its predecessor hates the cold. Summer is no problem but as soon as we hit October and it cools off a bit the problem starts. I use the bike daily for work but its only a 5 maybe 10 minute commute, I have to make one 30 minute journey a week also but I know its not getting a decent charge when in use so I have to stick my charger on it every so often. Last week thought I charged it but as I was off work for a week didnt use it for a couple of days (weather was cold), when I did use it next it started on my outward journey but was dead for the return journey, that was so much fun, not! Im now so fed up with this that when not in use my bike is permanently connected to the charger (in Maintenance mode) is it just me or does anyone else have trouble starting in the cold ?

Buy a Motobatt from Wemoto, they're great, and much better than Yuasa [often cheaper too].

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tel said:

Buy a Motobatt from Wemoto, they're great, and much better than Yuasa [often cheaper too].

+1 have one on my XS650 as want to keep the old starter spinning nicely and so far, so good ....... and they're a nice bright yellow :thumbsup:

• Like 1
bahnstormer

+1 for Motobatt batteries.  I was really pleased to find that the previous owner of the VFR had fitted one.   They have two positive and two negative terminals, making it nice and easy to attach accessory wiring nice and neatly. 

• Like 1

I have a Motobatt 9amp/h battery on my FJS600 Silverwing for 4 years now, fitted before I brought it, it should have been a 12 amp/h, it is left for days between use, the battery is faultless, even in cold weather. 

KingJames

Sounds like you need to do an essential journey on the bike for over an hour every week.

This makes me feel better about this issue, when you come to a conclusion yourself, self dought often kicks in but when other start saying what your thinking it gives you confidence. Thanks to you all for your input, I'm off to wemoto for a motobat and ill continue with the regular maintenance charges.

All my accessories are on switched circuits but I do know there is always parasitic draw on any vehicle.

Andy m

Wouldn't it be quicker to walk? Must take more than 5 minutes to get dressed.

Keep an eye on the battery, going flat has shortened the life so at some point you will need a new one. 

Andy

• Haha 1

+1 on Motobatt batteries, which seem to have both better cranking amps and to hold their charge better, albeit at higher risk of sudden failure when they do expire. Anyone who has been watching Long Way Up will know how cold weather affects battery capacity; something I’ve never seen mentioned on tests of electric m/cycles. This, coupled with greater demand on the electrical system in winter makes it tough for the battery to maintain good health without help, especially if not ridden far. 

In short it’s you , doctors get I’ll so the battery is working double hard and will eventually call it a day , soon as the cold weather arrives it has to work harder. I’ve got the original battery still and it’s 2016 bike . I know it’ll conk out but whatever make it is , it’s done well and I would commute year round 

Scootabout

My NC700X (now my son's) still has the original battery. 7 Years old now. I used to tend to do commutes of at least 5 miles and long runs, though. Interestingly, my TMax got through a battery every couple of years.