Nc 750 DCT sticking in gear

Dazco

I  have a 2016 NC750 NCT and it keeps sticking in gear. This has happened about 20 times so far, at first a simple backward and forward movement, as the bike was clicking, was enough to encourage it to change back to neutral . But now the only thing that helps it is time passing by.

There is no constant factor for when it gets stuck and the only gears it has not got stuck in are 1st and 6th. 

Bike has done 36,000 KM's and servicing is up to date. 

This happens very regularly, it only started a few days ago

Please help. Cheaply 

KingJames

Have you tried the DCT reset routine as that is the cheapest option?

may be worth checking the correct oil has been used during servicing - I hear that the DCT does not like the higher viscosity.

56 minutes ago, KingJames said:

Have you tried the DCT reset routine as that is the cheapest option?

I don't know what that is, could you tell me?

15 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

may be worth checking the correct oil has been used during servicing - I hear that the DCT does not like the higher viscosity.

Honda did the last service and it was quite a while ago

32 minutes ago, Dazco said:

I don't know what that is, could you tell me?

Honda did the last service and it was quite a while ago

Check the net for reset videos. Make sure bike is warm before attempting it.

Change oil/filters (both) yourself, videos are available and it's not difficult.

How old is the battery? 

Where are you based as you are quoting km's so assume not UK?

1 minute ago, MatBin said:

Check the net for reset videos. Make sure bike is warm before attempting it.

Change oil/filters (both) yourself, videos are available and it's not difficult.

How old is the battery? 

Where are you based as you are quoting km's so assume not UK?

I am in Spain
Battery seems strong

2 minutes ago, Dazco said:

I am in Spain
Battery seems strong

How old?

Spain - is it warm there, cold affects battery performance, you probably know this and dct are battery condition sensitive.

outrunner

I had a similar problem, see here.

Andy.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MatBin said:

How old?

Spain - is it warm there, cold affects battery performance, you probably know this and dct are battery condition sensitive.

The battery is same age as the bike. 2016.
Yes, it is very warm here 

2 minutes ago, Dazco said:

The battery is same age as the bike. 2016.
Yes, it is very warm here 

Change the battery first..then the oils and filters..Use the correct oil..

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, outrunner said:

I had a similar problem, see here.

Andy.

Wow  , that is exactly the same as mine.
Is it easy to change the part you mention, or even have a look to see if the brush is sticking?

outrunner
51 minutes ago, Dazco said:

Wow  , that is exactly the same as mine.
Is it easy to change the part you mention, or even have a look to see if the brush is sticking?

Not a big job to get the shift motor out, just take off the front sprocket cover and the belly pan to get to the electrical plug and the 3 bolts that hold the motor on.

Edit. The motor comes apart easily if you need to look inside but it's a bit fiddly to put it back together.

Andy.

Edited by outrunner
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, outrunner said:

Not a big job to get the shift motor out, just take off the front sprocket cover and the belly pan to get to the electrical plug and the 3 bolts that hold the motor on.

Edit. The motor comes apart easily if you need to look inside but it's a bit fiddly to put it back together.

Andy.

Thank you so much.
Is yours still for sale?

outrunner
3 hours ago, Dazco said:

Thank you so much.
Is yours still for sale?

Yes I have a spare motor that will be for sale, but if I had known then what I know now I would have removed the motor to get it checked before buying another one as it may have saved me some expense.

Andy.

When i was doing a DCT job for a mate, i asked my Local Honda dealer how i could test for correct torq in the motor.

They said hold it in your had as tight as you can and get some one to hit it with 12 volts, if it twists your wrist a bit it is ok. If you can hold it with out any movement junk it.

They have been used on Honda Farm quads long before they used them in Bikes.

Edited by kayz1
  • Haha 1
  • 5 months later...

Just thought I would update my experience, then it may help someone just like it helped me. 
I took it to the honda garage,  here in Spain, and they had a look. Diagnosed the motor and they said the technician would attempt   to repair it. 
He did repair it , 90 euros , and it lasted 10 days or so and started playing up  again, this time not changing at all. 

Technician said he would try and do a better job , and he did, it has been working now for 5000km . They tried to charge me again but I questioned if their work was guaranteed or not .
What he was doing was cleaning the meeting point between the brushes and the motor. 

i did try this myself , at first, it was an easy enough job to get the motor off, but it lasted about 2 days before playing up again. 

I also found a place in Ireland that would post a new motor for about 250 quid. 

I hope this helps someone 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1